Ceiling Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Old School
Vessel Make
38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
The PO of my boat did not remove all of the plastic film from the ceiling panes and it looks awful. Tried the heat gun but no luck, maybe didnt leave it on long enough or needed a scraper like a credit card. Anyone have suggestions?

Attachments

• 88194794-9D6C-4A8F-B9AC-B8755C65CCB4.jpg
    88194794-9D6C-4A8F-B9AC-B8755C65CCB4.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 24
The PO of my boat did not remove all of the plastic film from the ceiling panes and it looks awful. Tried the heat gun but no luck, maybe didnt leave it on long enough or needed a scraper like a credit card. Anyone have suggestions?

I guess that I don’t understand what kind of plastic was on the ceiling? What do you think it is from?

The ceiling of the pilot house is 3 metal panels screwed into small aluminum joists. The plastic film was there to protect the paint on the panels from scratches while it was being installed. For some reason he didn’t peel off the film of the forward panel. The other two are fine. The blistery looking stuff in the photo is the film I’d like to remove.

Maybe a mild solvent like alcohol. Acetone may be too aggressive. Heat might work if you try it a bit more.

Another thought is WD40 or Goo Gone. Maybe try in a small area and see how it goes.

How warm did you get it? It may take getting it very warm especially if it is now a number of years old. Experiment on an out of the way spot.
Goo Gone or there is a 3M adhesive remover I've used although no longer have the number.
A plastic scraper may also help. I used those to remove decals where a razor scraper was digging. THe plastics scraper was removing the decal although still a bunch of work.

Wallpaper steam remover

I had good success removing plastic film protective covering using a Wagner wallpaper steam remover.

Great suggestions from everybody, thanks and I do appreciate it. I’ll post results when or if it comes off.

The PO's grandkid "decorated" the forward cabin ceiling with about 2 dozen stupid paper stickers with cruelly tenacious adhesive. All manner of Goo-Gone formulations and IBM adhesive removers were barely up to the task (even tried acetone). Took hours of thumbnail picking 1/8' - 1/2" bits off the ceiling whilst the goop and bits descended upon me.

Much expletive grumbling on that one.

I hope your removal is easier. I have more than a few Goo-Gones and Adhesive removers that you are welcome to have...

The PO of our current boat must have loved stickers. There must have been over 40 of them all over the boat. He put the trash placard on top of the galley counter. Must have been worried he couldn’t remember things. My wife and I spent almost 2 full days cleaning them all off.

If possible take the ceiling panel out of the boat so you can work on it on a work bench. It will make the job so much easier. I like the idea of a wallpaper steamer. Seems like a good way to soften things up, without burning the paint.

Back
Top Bottom