Ceiling fishing rod holders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freespool

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
Offshore 62
Hello everyone,

I am looking for recommendations of what you use to store/hang your fishing rods from the ceiling. Truthfully, I would prefer to keep them out of site, but it's just not realistic. I have 25 rod and reels that I will be using on a regular basis.

It's impractical to remove all of the reels from the rods and store them under bunks etc. when I am in fishing mode. Additionally, when I arrive to various ports (I will be cruising from Fort Lauderdale to Costa Rica), I will need to bring the rods inside when I am leaving the boat to go shopping or to dinner.

I am aware of the white (or black) Du bro rod holders that I can buy at West Marine. Another option I am considering is the old style teak ceiling rod holders. Before I drill any holes I want to consider all of my options.

Thanks in advance

I have two overhead racks shaped like these made of teak. Six on one side of the salon and 4 on the other side. All my rods remain rigged and at the ready throughout the year.

I found that the rods would drop from the tip end while underway so I added brown leather straps to the lower edges with a snap at the end. They work well, look good and keep the rods secure.

Attachments

• rodrack.jpg
    rodrack.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 148
There might be a seven step program out there somewhere to help you guys with your problem ;)

As you can see from Al's photo, any material will work. I used 1/4" plexiglass when I made mine up over 20 yrs ago I only have room for 6 rods, but I have unused ceiling space above bedroom counters so could go for more if needed.

There might be a seven step program out there somewhere to help you guys with your problem ;)

IMHO, it’s the people who don’t fish who have a problem...

IMHO, it’s the people who don’t fish who have a problem...

Crabbing is okay because once you drop the traps you can go do something interesting like anchor, then wander a beach, explore a creek, or climb a mountain, and at days end your supper is waiting for you :thumb:

These worked very well for several decades.

Attachments

• IM001244.jpg
    IM001244.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IM001245.jpg
    IM001245.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 80
Upside to the multi-rod holders is less fasteners. Upside to the single rod style is flexibility on where you can place them, but requires more screws.

An option would be to have someone with a bandsaw make ones to specifically fit where ever you've got room.

I got these pics tonight on the boat. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 20181003_220431.jpg
    20181003_220431.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 45
  • 20181003_220517.jpg
    20181003_220517.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 43
I have two racks on the overhead above our cockpit, outside, which is good for readiness but the rods take more of a beating out there. I store them on a bunk in the cabin when we aren't using the boat or take them home. Mine are made out of starboard, but are basically the same set up as Al's.

I also store pole spears in them, but they don't work as well, as the spears can slide out. I haven't figured out a good pole spear storage method yet.

FWIW, on our last Bahamas trip this is what I brought, just to shock you non fisherman types:

1 6 weight fly rod.
1 8 weight fly rod
1 10 weight fly rod
3 10 lb class spinning rods
2 20 lb class spinning rods
2 speed jigging rods (spin)
1 40 lb class trolling rod (Shimano TLD)
5 pole spears.

Doug, what do you use a 6 weight fly rod for? Bahamian bonefish?

But can you imagine 25 rods?
They could be neatly stored where the "significant other" used to sleep.
I`m imagining the fishy discussion below: "Did you see that rod he`s using? Totally inappropriate, no way am I impaling myself on the hook with the rod he`s using, I wouldn`t be seen dead doing that".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom