CAUTION ship looses containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's from an MSDS for the stuff

May be fatal if swallowed. Harmful if inhaled. Causes skin and eye irritation. Dust is irritating to respiratory tract. See "Other Health Effects" Section. Heating of solid xanthate or aging or heating of solutions will cause formation of Carbon Bisulfide. Upon exposure of solid xanthates to moisture and/or heat, decomposition results and spontaneous combustion can occur. Contact of solid xanthate with moist air has resulted in ignition. (4) Emits a flammable gas upon contact with water or water vapour. Can decompose at high temperatures forming toxic gases. Powdered material may form explosive dust- air mixtures. Contents may develop pressure on prolonged exposure to heat.

Potassium amyl xanthate is used in the mining industry for the beneficiation of copper sulfides from ore. Having worked in the BC copper mining industry with xanthates I can attest to the MSDS hazards of xanthates as stated by TT.

The potential hazards are in the transportation side, once at the mine site the steel barrels filed with xanthates are stored in ventilated dry areas and mixed with water for use. But, the issue now is where to offload the damaged containers and deal with the soggy mess.

I'm quite curious as to how the burn started. I'll be talking with my industry friends in BC to gain more insight and report back.

Last edited:
Beneficiation? I hate it when that happens.

Interesting that pyrophoric hazmat materials were loaded on the forward part of the ship.

I used to work with "energetics" and our containers were always loaded last on the stern so they could be kicked off the ship if things went south.

I'm quite curious as to how the burn started.

Early on, when the containers went over, someone, I believe it was CCG, said two of the containers at sea and some still onboard, contained hazardous materials, which could spontaneously combust.

10pm and wind is 30 knots. Flames are still visible from here. Tugs in vicinity, but dont appear to be pumping cooling water.

If the ship was in the Straits of Juan de Fuxa, it IS simultaneously off the coast of BC and WA (the Straits run between)

Attachments

• Zim Kingston.jpg
    Zim Kingston.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 24
Sorry if I pointed out the obvious, but many TF members wouldn’t be familiar with these waters…

Sorry if I pointed out the obvious, but many TF members wouldn’t be familiar with these waters…

No need, you were pointing out that the media could not get something that simple right or the same in three separate news reports

Fair enough, but with several posts already pinpointing the vessel on fire in Juan de Fuca Strait, it appeared to me, you were highlighting a perceived lack of knowledge on my part with:
If the ship was in the Straits of Juan de Fuxa, it IS simultaneously off the coast of BC and WA (the Straits run between)

109 containers have been lost overboard according to latest news reports.

The first four containers have made land at Cape Scott today, thats faster than we could get there but they travelled 24/7.........:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 6.22.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 6.22.50 PM.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 35
Each container has 4 small vents at the roof-line to allow the air to escape so they will sink. Sometimes a container will remain kind of upside-down and hold just enough air to allow one corner to remain on the surface. Just enough to make them difficult to see, yet very dangerous to a hull. Losing a container or two is not uncommon. 40 is unusual. Lots of them out there floating on end wherever the currents take them. No telling how many of the 40 are still upright and no telling where they will be after a week.

Man I would not want to hit one, especially at night. Kind of scary.

What are the rules if someone came across one and took it under tow? If you found one washed ashore. Could a person claim it?
Just curious.

I'm no lawyer, but I think if you "saved" a drifting container you would probably have a legitimate salvage claim. It doesn't become yours, but you are entitled to compensation commensurate with the effort/danger of the rescue, and proportional to the value of the cargo.

If on the other hand you come across a container on a beach, I don't think you can make any claim against it unless it can be shown to be abandoned property.

twistedtree said:
I'm no lawyer, but I think if you "saved" a drifting container you would probably have a legitimate salvage claim. It doesn't become yours, but you are entitled to compensation commensurate with the effort/danger of the rescue, and proportional to the value of the cargo.
Nor am I, but…
In today’s world of bureaucrats, insurers and litigators, I doubt anyone other than a legitimate “salvage operator” would escape the potential liabilities with such a “save.”

We’re not talking about an errant "tender to" here and I would think “observe and report” would be the advised approach.

On the other hand…
If it were headed into a marina full of Nordhavns, I might think differently.

We've been waiting over 2 months for our new refrigerator. The delivery date has been pushed back three times. I think I just saw it on the beach.

Each container has 4 small vents at the roof-line to allow the air to escape so they will sink. Sometimes a container will remain kind of upside-down and hold just enough air to allow one corner to remain on the surface. Just enough to make them difficult to see, yet very dangerous to a hull. Losing a container or two is not uncommon. 40 is unusual. Lots of them out there floating on end wherever the currents take them. No telling how many of the 40 are still upright and no telling where they will be after a week.

When a Container carrier (Crowley) lost dozens of containers in the Gulf of Mexico they did not sink even after the Coast Guard used them as target practice (in deep water). The buoyancy of the contents exceeded the mass of the steel container - even when all the void spaces were flooded. Our main fear on ocean passages was hitting a semi-submerged container.
~A

The sad thing is that the "owners" will go through all the legal hoops to "punish" people who "steal" their property by scavenging off the beach, but when it comes time to actually pay for the clean-up, they are the first to hide behind legal protections to avoid paying anything for the clean-up . . .

It begins, the owner of the M/V Zim Kingston has hired a clean-up contractor and clean-up has started. The Canadian Coast Guard's FaceBook page has been great thru this whole event with multiple daily update. Here is a screen grab of the latest announcement.......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 9.07.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 9.07.11 PM.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom