Old 08-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #121
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Wow....

It looks like your marina had the foresight to use piling that were tall enough to handle the depth. Currently, the boats look like they are doing fine. As long as their batteries can keep the bilge pumps working until power can be restored on the docks.
Good point that now surge isn't the concern, it's the rainfall.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #122
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Cardude in Harvey bullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Well I hope the weather channel people are happy. We are getting killed down here. It is amazing how the tone of their voices change when it is actually happening. They go from attempted sensationalism to very somber. It's really bad down here. Really really bad.

We just got power back. I just saw some pics of Houston-- the flooding looks terrible. Hang in there.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #123
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I feel bad for the guys from Texas. From my perspective living in south Florida I think we are more use to hurricanes plus if we get heavy rains it all drains into the Atlantic because of our canal system, the government opens the canals and the water runs off and the flooding ends. I e had five feet of water until the gates are opened and in a day or two it's normal.

I wish all your guys the best to pull out of this.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #124
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Cardude in Harvey bullseye

One hour ago the Houston police department tweeted out the following general call for public help.

Anyone with a boat who can volunteer to help please call 713-881-3100 #HurricaneHarvey

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #125
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
One hour ago the Houston police department tweeted out the following general call for public help.

Anyone with a boat who can volunteer to help please call 713-881-3100 #HurricaneHarvey
Wifey B: Hundreds of people have been using boats to rescue. Still a lot of people on roof's. Even people on PWC's. Also, dump trucks have been valuable because they're high so truck loads of people on them.

Now just saw they're going to have to release water from reservoirs into the bayous making it worse.

Sure wish we were there to help. At least I'd feel like I was doing something and right now just worrying. It's not far from dark either. Watching people who have been through hell today and they're so orderly and sweet standing in the rain on the bridge.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:06 PM   #126
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Here, look

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	68106
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #127
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
The trouble with using small rescue boats with outboard power is all the unseen debris everywhere. Now many of the resuers must be wondering how close they can even get to neighborhoods in trouble, all the time more rain is coming, tornado warnings are being called and rescuers & victims alike are wearing out. Victims who can't be reached get less sleep, then less food, then less water, then what? This is only the middle of this storm. I'm sitting here in front of the TV wondering if I would be more of a nuisance then assistance if I loaded up my dinghy and drove west till I ran into the first flood, probably LA.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #128
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Having seen the carnage these hurricanes/cyclones/typhoons can cause in terms of wind, surges and flooding on a regular basis, here in Queensland, our thoughts are with all those affected, as we know what it's like, but as Wifey B said, there's nothing you can really do to help, so you feel a bit helpless...
Old 08-27-2017, 11:09 PM   #129
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I can but echo Pete's comments.

However, one thing I have noticed. Folks affected still need help in the weeks, and months, after the floods have receded and the news/talking heads have lost interest. At those times people that are impacted can really struggle. It then that you/we can really help them get back on track a little bit.

To those close enough to be able to help, perhaps keep your powder dry right now. Leave the dingy in the shed/on your boat. But in a week or two, join one of the community volunteer groups helping at ground zero? There were some here that did great work a few months ago, camping in tents in the devastated areas for a few days of work dealing with the aftermath of Cyclone Debbie. The psychological benefit for the locals was huge.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #130
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post

To those close enough to be able to help, perhaps keep your powder dry right now. Leave the dingy in the shed/on your boat. But in a week or two, join one of the community volunteer groups helping at ground zero? There were some here that did great work a few months ago, camping in tents in the devastated areas for a few days of work. The psychological benefit for the local was huge.

In the months to come there will be lots of volunteer efforts to help folks clean out their homes of all the stinking, moldy furniture and appliances, tearing out Sheetrock and flooring. Huge amount of physical work that needs to be done and folks will be having a hard time with money, food, water, fuel, rest, and emotional support.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #131
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I can but echo Pete's comments.

However, one thing I have noticed. Folks affected still need help in the weeks, and months, after the floods have receded and the news/talking heads have lost interest. At hose times people that are impacted can really struggle. It then that you/we can really help them get back on track a little bit.

To those close enough to be able to help, perhaps keep your powder dry right now. Leave the dingy in the shed/on your boat. But in a week or two, join one of the community volunteer groups helping at ground zero?
History back to Katrina. Huge numbers ended up in Texas and FEMA paid for lodging for a good while. Dallas/Fort Worth area was flooded with people. Now, these people were all unemployed and many decided to stay but needed help with lodging. Even the stories I hear about Andrew told about the movement to Broward county and no available lodging. Once what was there was filled they had to go to Palm Beach County. These persons were still commuting to Miami. Then there were those whose jobs were destroyed by the hurricane.

We will see so many people who have lost everything except that which is most important, their lives. However, the next loss may become their dignity, their pride. It's easy to take a brief vacation in Dallas or even just up the road in Conroe. It weighs heavily the long one goes.

At the same time they'll face rising costs too. Housing costs in south Texas will rise dramatically. Fuel costs will rise. Insurance costs will rise. Nothing will again ever be the same for many of them.

There are so many logistical nightmares for people. Think of a family with two young children and the kids miss the start of school. Then they have to try to get them into new schools and many schools are already overpacked. They have to get them all those things they need for school. And what if they're a month behind? How will they catch up. At some levels easy, but jump into an advanced math course after missing a month. Tutors will be needed.

Some families will grow closer but the divorce rate of those who have lost everything historically is very high. One or the other parent has just reached their limit. What about all those needing mental health counseling. I think many adults and kids would after suffering through something like this.

It's a lot like deaths because it is the death of life as it was for them. Typically when one loses a spouse, they have everyone show up for the first few days and the funeral. Then a week later, they find themselves more alone than they've ever been.

Many people also just need a little help in addition to what they might be getting elsewhere. Perhaps it's day care as they drive south to meet with the insurance adjuster. Perhaps it's just someone to be a friend. Maybe they're short a little on food this week, or their child needs clothes.

Our memories grow short as the world continues and more crises arise. No one on television has been talking about Rockport today. That shows how short. Houston is the news today, but Rockport has suffered tremendous damage. They were ground zero, they had the CAT 4 winds. Then there are humane societies with so many pets now. Houston SPCA is caring for hundreds of animals already.

So much help needed. No one of us can do it all, but if we can help one person then we've contributed. Now, if you do give money, please please be extra careful of who you give it to. Unfortunately, there will be many scams. Now people can invent a story and put it online. I know of people in tornado areas raise many dollars and they suffered no loss or those totally covered by insurance do the same.

Matthew was nothing like this but there are many on the coast who haven't recovered, some still not recovering from the storms a year earlier.

Today we saw the best of our society in volunteers performing rescues. They saved lives while showing their neighbors they cared. Our neighbors will need to be reminded over the next couple of years that we still care.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #132
Guru

Wifey B:

Here's an article about the plights of people after Katrina. It tells the story of how far and wide people spread, how slowly they return, how many never return and some of the things they go through. Note too that the wealthy return much faster than the poor, many who don't want to go back but many others just can't afford to. There is no one place that can take everyone in need. FEMA bused people across the country with many to Memphis and others to Salt Lake City. Perhaps some will come to your hometown. Make sure you welcome them.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2015/...ded-up/401216/
Old 08-28-2017, 12:05 AM   #133
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Like Peter and Brian,we Aussie TFers are thinking of you and your fellow countrymen. NSW state is usually not affected by cyclones, but in their state, Queensland, they know cyclones.
I hope everyone is as safe as can be.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:40 AM   #134
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'm just tired of the platitudes. Let someone at a lower level speak who actually knows what is going on. I'm sure after this, like every storm, we'll hear complaints about the President. We'll hear complaints about FEMA. We'll hear complaints about the insurers. Maybe if they did a bit better PR job it would reduce that and by PR I don't mean nebulous statements. I mean sharing what is already underway and what to expect. Sometimes it's best to not share what's going on behind the scenes. I don't think this is one of those time. The more you share, the sooner, the smoother it will go.

BandB,

I feel your frustrations, and I feel the same way. We often never get to hear from the lower lever so never know what's really going on. Occasionally some newscaster shoves a mic in their face but not often. The news is distorting the facts so we get what they want us to know.

As for FEMA, I know one of the high ups there and the info from him indicated that they were very inefficient, political and not cost effective..... and often late to help. But they do a lot.... just after the fact.

Seems like the locals do most of the work and are quick to respond. They are the real heroes that we never hear about.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:39 AM   #135

City: Irmo
Wishing you and your boat safety through this awful hurricane!
SeaRanger83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:01 AM   #136
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Lots of heroes out there today. Much like New York after 9/11, people are running TOWARDS the mayhem and not away. So many have lost so much. I just hope we all can keep it in perspective that it is our lives that matter. And I know many people that have lost everything....and they are immediately humbled. They are not sad. That will come later. They are happy to be alive.

Anyway, I am fine. I guess there is a psychological condition where I feel guilty because I am not heavily impacted. I am on a friend's couch. My house is ok I think just no power. My girlfriends house we do not know. It likely got water in it. The boat is ok but no power and the fridge is running. So at some point the batteries will drain or I will swim or boat out to it to start the generator and/or empty the fridge. First world problems compared to others.

Sadly, the models that were showing the thing moving offshore and then returning to Houston are looking like that may come to fruition. I have never prayed for a direct hit from a tropical system...we just can't handle the dirty side again. And that is what is supposed to happen.

Just rambling here. I'm tired. Haven't slept much. Probably won't for awhile. But we are blessed.

One of the things that defines Texas and Texans is something Davy Crockett said while going to help at the Alamo:
"You may go to hell....but I'm going to Texas!"....pretty much sums it up!!!

Thank y'all for all the love and support. It really does mean a lot. Because in the end, that's all we got!!! And keep the prayers up for the people in Rockport and Port Aransas and in the Coastal Bend. Those places got basically destroyed. And the media has already forgot about them.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:12 AM   #137
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
This is my dock at my marina. "Clear Lake" is neither clear nor a lake. It is actually Clear Creek. And much of the footage you have seen is this Creek that is about 10 feet above flood stage. While this is definitely tidal waters, this is not tide. This is flood water. Anyway, that is normally a parking lot where you simply walk to your dock.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5198.jpg  
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:39 AM   #138
FF
Guru

"Wishing you and your boat safety through this awful hurricane!"

His boat is safe in FL in a hurricane hole .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:26 AM   #139
Guru

City: kemah
wow and here I was thinking "what a nothing burger". Of course being from florida I have seen many hurricanes and tasted actual hot sauce too. It must be really bad on the other side of clear lake.

We will see how it goes in a couple of days.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #140
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I guess there is a psychological condition where I feel guilty because I am not heavily impacted. .
I think we all feel various forms of that. I know, yesterday, we all were having a difficult time enjoying ourselves while seeing so many suffering so badly. Sadly, some human suffering hits closer to home than other because there are so many around the world who suffer through horrors every day.

So many emotions for those in the area. Relief to be safe, guilt that they are. Concern for others. Then the one about to hit them all is just complete mental and physical exhaustion. Late last night you could see it just starting to hit so many and then to realize that's just after the first day.