Old 08-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #61

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
Betsy Lee is at Cove Harbor Marina (green dot in pic). Our floating dock can take 15' surge, but who knows what the winds have done - they have been getting pounded for hours.

Initial pictures of Rockport are showing massive amounts of damage. Hoping to hear that all who stayed are safe and okay. May be several days before recovery can start if Harvey stalls out as forecasted.
KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:33 AM   #62
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post

My rhetorical question to you is...Have you ever seen a major hurricane cause extensive damage that is caused by RAIN???? I have not or I sure cannot think of one.
Hurricane Hazel, a Cat 4 storm that bisected eastern North America from south to north in 1954, was extra tropical when it stalled near Toronto, but still had hurricane-force winds of 77 mph. The rain (on top of previous heavy rain) caused major flooding that destroyed buildings, bridges and crops, killing 81 people in Canada alone.

On a personal note, my parents owned a house in the country near Brantford, Ontario that previously belonged to the owners of the local grist mill, just down the hill. Hazel's rains undercut the dam and permanently altered the creek that fed the mill, causing it to close. (Hardly a major impact, but a testament to Hazel's severity.) Today, the mill is a nature center.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #63
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Still not much information on the damage in Rockport, but as far as Cardude it's still about 4 hours away from him and more rain than anything now. Just doesn't take much to flood in South Texas and this is definitely a lot.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #64
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
This morning is the first time I have had the internet connection to actually see what the wind forecasts have been. I am amazed at how long that storm has, and will be sitting over that area of Texas.

I haven't heard what the rainfall amounts have ended up being. Any ideas?

I also wish y'all and your kin are able to stay safe with no damage.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #65
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Does not look like the surge was that bad. NOAA tide stations in the Corpus areas show peak of about 6-7' max at landfall.
Yeah but man, Port O'Connor and Rockport had to get blasted!!! There is a little town on San Antonio Bay called Seadrift. The shape of SA Bay is narrow running south to north and constricting as it goes north. The water will have nowhere to go but up. I am willing to bet Seadrift does not exist today.

Anyone hear from Cardude?

Funny thing is I met Cardude on Matagorda beach about 10 years ago....Surfing!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #66
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Heard from Cardude about 10 AM. Still OK but loosing vents off the roof, now holed. Trees down and clogging drains, etc. . A short video clip showed trees really stressed. He may attempt repairs in approaching eye center. I bet he's glad to have left his boat parked at FF's in FL!

KneeDeep, sure hope the best for you.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #67
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Hey, Baker - your points well taken. Didn't mean to turn this into a "best anchor" debate.

More important, hope y'all are faring well or as well as you can. Interesting how rapidly your priorities can recalibrate in the course of a storm.

My parochial interest in Harvey's rain potential relates to my kids/gkids in Houston.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Hey, Baker - your points well taken. Didn't mean to turn this into a "best anchor" debate.

More important, hope y'all are faring well or as well as you can. Interesting how rapidly your priorities can recalibrate in the course of a storm.

My parochial interest in Harvey's rain potential relates to my kids/gkids in Houston.
No worries at all. ANd I didn't mean to get all defensive. I got in from a red eye yesterday morning and really didn't get to sleep due to storm prep so I guess I was lacking in tact....

Houston is getting it this morning. I have not turned on the TV but as you probably know, that outer band is training right over the top of us.

I hope your kids and gkids are ok!!! We are doing ok down here in League City!!
Old 08-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #69
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Baker if it really gets bad I'll get you a bottle of Carmelita's to wash away all your problems. Hope all is well.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Baker if it really gets bad I'll get you a bottle of Carmelita's to wash away all your problems. Hope all is well.
We are doing fine over here and should continue to do so!!! Thanks! The people down the coast were not so lucky. Rockport and Port Aransas pretty much got destroyed. I would imagine the same for Port O'Connor.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #71
Guru

Now at 2 mph but still 25 miles west of Victoria.

Baker...

Does this now qualify as a powerful hurricane with a tremendous amount of rain? And sitting and meandering?
Old 08-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #72
Guru

Tornado early this morning hit Katy.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Now at 2 mph but still 25 miles west of Victoria.

Baker...

Does this now qualify as a powerful hurricane with a tremendous amount of rain? And sitting and meandering?
I do believe so....although we do not know the rainfall amounts.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:02 PM   #74
Guru

Wifey B: If I hear one more person say "We're on top of it and we're going to help" and "We're on the job" and "They have our full support" I'm just going to scream. The people there aren't going to need words and support. They're going to need action. By now you should be saying something like "We have 40 trucks or 5 airplanes loaded up with supplies and on their way to the area as soon as they're allowed to go along with 5000 members of the national guard. I mean you do have to wait to enter some areas but you don't have to wait to get ready and on your way and just hearing all the words does nothing for me. I'm hoping that there's much more going on and the politicians on television and other media just don't know what is being done. We say we've learned. I sure hope so.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #75

City: Ft. Myers, FL.
Vessel Name: Chasing 80
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 460
Quote:
Wifey B: If I hear one more person say "We're on top of it and we're going to help" and "We're on the job" and "They have our full support" I'm just going to scream. The people there aren't going to need words and support. They're going to need action. By now you should be saying something like "We have 40 trucks or 5 airplanes loaded up with supplies and on their way to the area as soon as they're allowed to go along with 5000 members of the national guard. I mean you do have to wait to enter some areas but you don't have to wait to get ready and on your way and just hearing all the words does nothing for me. I'm hoping that there's much more going on and the politicians on television and other media just don't know what is being done. We say we've learned. I sure hope so.
Begin Rant....

Those aren't just words, they are "on the job". My former FEMA Urban Search & Rescue team from Ohio has been on the road for 36 hours and should be on the scene shortly along with several other teams. Local assets need to asses the areas first and determine where help is needed the most then Federal teams move in at their request. Texas has a Federal team of their own which, I'm sure, is being used as a state asset along with their many swift water teams. After rescue efforts and once areas are deemed safe the folks with the blankets and water will move in to help begin recovery.

Every natural disaster I have deployed to (Katrina, Rita, Ike & Sandy) we have been pre-staged within a few hours drive from expected landfall and were on the scene as soon as local assets determined where we were needed most. NYC on 9/11 was the only event we had to play catch-up on and were still there early on the 12th. Other, closer teams were there that afternoon.

Sorry, but I really get tired of people that don't know the facts wondering where all the government help is. People still believe that New Orleans was left with no help for days when I know that isn't true. Maybe it took a few days to get a bottle of water and longer for a check but rescue teams were there that morning. I'm sure they are going to work in Texas now too.

Rant Off.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #76
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Begin Rant....

Those aren't just words, they are "on the job". My former FEMA Urban Search & Rescue team from Ohio has been on the road for 36 hours and should be on the scene shortly along with several other teams. Local assets need to asses the areas first and determine where help is needed the most then Federal teams move in at their request. Texas has a Federal team of their own which, I'm sure, is being used as a state asset along with their many swift water teams. After rescue efforts and once areas are deemed safe the folks with the blankets and water will move in to help begin recovery.

Every natural disaster I have deployed to (Katrina, Rita, Ike & Sandy) we have been pre-staged within a few hours drive from expected landfall and were on the scene as soon as local assets determined where we were needed most. NYC on 9/11 was the only event we had to play catch-up on and were still there early on the 12th. Other, closer teams were there that afternoon.

Sorry, but I really get tired of people that don't know the facts wondering where all the government help is. People still believe that New Orleans was left with no help for days when I know that isn't true. Maybe it took a few days to get a bottle of water and longer for a check but rescue teams were there that morning. I'm sure they are going to work in Texas now too.

Rant Off.
Wifey B: That's great to hear. Why don't the people talking say that? I've heard all the politicians, government officials speak and not one has said anything about that. I have no problem with your rant. It would be great for those in places like Corpus Christi and Rockport to hear. It would also be great to hear from the local officials that they've been in touch with FEMA and what they've been told. I know sometimes the local officials don't express the needs as they should.

My rant was not about what is or isn't being done. It was about what everyone is saying. Without giving more information, it sounds like very empty words. People don't come in trusting the response so they need to know it's already being deployed. I've been reading and listening and not one person has been speaking about that.

Texas governor has spoken several times and not once mentioned his teams. I also know in the past there have been cases on National Guard help much too late because a governor never asked for them and that's how they get sent.

So, I am all for you continuing the rant, but target it a bit toward those who are not disclosing the information. It makes FEMA look bad because those in need of help don't know.

I hope that puts you and me now ranting somewhat on the same thing. Notice in my earlier post I said "I'm hoping that there's much more going on and the politicians on television and other media just don't know what is being done." Well, they need to get informed so they can inform the public. Each day of uncertainty is very long for those in crisis. I know there's a limit right now to what can be done, but there isn't a limit to what can be shared to reassure people. There have been drownings in South Texas from other storms.

Meanwhile, I'm in TN where it's 83 and sunny. I almost feel guilty having such a beautiful day when it's so rotten for many.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #77
Guru

Wifey B: I did find this regarding FEMA's advance efforts.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/24/fema...ort-worth.html

Wish there was more news of that and updating it.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #78
Guru

An update on Rockport. Earlier the question was whether we're seeing it all or just the worst. A newsman was flying over the area and indicated it was very widespread but spotty in nature and probably caused by the hurricane downforce hitting some and not others. In watching, you could see destruction all around town but also could see some buildings that were not destroyed in many areas.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #79
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Meanwhile, I'm in TN where it's 83 and sunny. I almost feel guilty having such a beautiful day when it's so rotten for many.

Hmmm.... OT, but were you at the Gaylord in Nashville over this last weekend?

If so, we may have crossed paths...

Spike's rant sounds right to me; when we gave support to Haiti from Miami, forces were ramped up well in advance, food/medical/supply and RO units were steaming toward the island early, etc. I assume FEMA is equally well organized within their jurisdiction...

-Chris
Old 08-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Hmmm.... OT, but were you at the Gaylord in Nashville over this last weekend?

If so, we may have crossed paths...

-Chris
Wifey B: No, last weekend we were driving to Pickwick and then provisioning.