Old 08-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #141
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Wishing you and your boat safety through this awful hurricane!"

His boat is safe in FL in a hurricane hole .

If I tied it up correctly!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #142
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B:

Here's an article about the plights of people after Katrina. .....
"Hurricane Katrina made landfall in the city of New Orleans on the morning of August 29, 2005..."

Interesting article, but incorrect first line. Katrina made landfall on the Mississippi coast with a surge over 20ft. Total destruction for miles inland. New Orleans had minor damage from the winds, and very little surge. It was the heavy rains that broke the levees in NO, but MS took the brunt of the storm. But little press, as we went to work and took care of ourselves and each other, rather than waiting for FEMA.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #143
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
FC

"little press, as we went to work and took care of ourselves and each other, rather than waiting for FEMA."

The same was true of the flooding in the Midwest a few years back which is what Americans do, take care of themselves instead of waiting for some government agency which may or may no come for various reasons.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #144
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
I can but echo Pete's comments.

However, one thing I have noticed. Folks affected still need help in the weeks, and months, after the floods have receded and the news/talking heads have lost interest. At those times people that are impacted can really struggle. It then that you/we can really help them get back on track a little bit.
So true. A month from now, the media will have forgotten this ever happened, and along with them, most of the rest of the country. We got 23 feet of water in our home from Katrina (in Pass Christian, MS). Ad noted above, the media actually thought Katrina landed in New Orleans. It didn't. It landed a few miles from my house, so I'm pretty sure about that. In one news report, their map actually left out the state of Mississippi and had Alabama and Louisiana joined together. The reporter pointed to where Mississippi should be and referred to it as the land mass between Louisiana and Alabama. So, they didn't waste any time in forgetting about us!!

Here was our time table to recovery.
Aug. 29, 2005 - flooded. Family living with relatives 180 miles away. I, as a first responder, sleeping on an air mattress on the ground
September 10 or so. I actually get a trailer to sleep in, agency provided, not FEMA
January 10, 2006 - electrical power restored to our neighborhood, moved our non-FEMA trailer and RV into front yard. Family returns. Repairs start on house.
July, 2006 - Repairs completed, moved into house, removed trailers and RV.
Spring 2007 - telephone service (landline) restored.

The other component is the mental health issues that often take years to surface. In 2008, my parish priest told me he had had to deal with more parishioner suicides in 2006 and 2007, than in his entire twenty five year career.

The don't call it "post" traumatic shock, for nothing.

We watch the news reports from Texas and we think back to what it is like to have a ruined house full of wet, rotting and mildewing stuff, with your whole neighborhood, and town, destroyed, and wondering how you are ever going to get your life back, and I feel so sorry for these folks.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #145
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Although it often want be recognized as such, a huge number of people will suffer from PTSD after this. Most of them will also get no counseling or help with it. That includes many kids who really won't grasp the impact on themselves for years.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #146

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
Update from the eye of Harvey.....
We made it through the landfall and surge fine both boat and home.
Now......they announced at midnight that they're opening Colorado River floodgates in Austin and will put 10' of water in Bay City (Matagorda County seat) and Matagorda tomorrow. Needless to say this wipes out the County services for the entire county. They are bussing out entire town and surrounding areas. I talked to county overnight and concensus is that our home will be right on the edge of the projected flooding. We are going to stay now that we have power restored and additional food from neighbors that are evacuating. We have lots of gas for generator if we loose power again.
See y'all on the other side of this mess!
greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #147
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
OMG. Just when you think you might be over the hump, wham!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #148
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
FEMA .... very inefficient, political and not cost effective....

So right your friend is, SeeVee. The fundamental flaw with FEMA is that the organization is structurally incapable of conducting first responder operations - although, at every opportunity, they attempt to interject themselves and their "rules" into the ER equation.

They should stand back, administer Stafford Act funds to support ER, and wait until the event stabilizes before becoming actively involved in the recovery (not the ER) process.

There are actually some pretty good people in FEMA below the political hack level, if you can find them. Most "FEMA" personnel you deal with aren't FEMA - they're independent subcontractors working through job shops to the "prime" Beltway contractors like AECOM and KBR. In many cases, these people are (I'll be generous) marginally qualified for the position. I've always wondered who has the time to take off to show up on a moment's notice to a distant location for week to week employment? Only the best and the brightest, I'm sure. The faster any FEMA issue gets resolved, the quicker they have to go back where they came from. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #149
Guru

My thoughts and wishes to all of you in the "zone." If there is any bright side, you have and will see and experience myriad acts of bravery and kindness from your fellow ordinary man (in the true sense of the word - means women, too) that will bring tears to your eyes.

It's hard to sit through. My sons in Houston talked me down from heading over to assist Friday night - they said kind things, but I think the message was "we don't need an old fart to keep track of in addition to our families." Probably correct. Ouch!

Stay safe - this, too, shall pass.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #150
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
FEMA .... very inefficient, political and not cost effective....

So right your friend is, SeeVee. The fundamental flaw with FEMA is that the organization is structurally incapable of conducting first responder operations - although, at every opportunity, they attempt to interject themselves and their "rules" into the ER equation.

They should stand back, administer Stafford Act funds to support ER, and wait until the event stabilizes before becoming actively involved in the recovery (not the ER) process.

There are actually some pretty good people in FEMA below the political hack level, if you can find them. Most "FEMA" personnel you deal with aren't FEMA - they're independent subcontractors working through job shops to the "prime" Beltway contractors like AECOM and KBR. In many cases, these people are (I'll be generous) marginally qualified for the position. I've always wondered who has the time to take off to show up on a moment's notice to a distant location for week to week employment? Only the best and the brightest, I'm sure. The faster any FEMA issue gets resolved, the quicker they have to go back where they came from. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success.
SBU,

That was my friends assessment and he was totally frustrated. He left FEMA after the 4 hurricanes that hit Florida in 2004, Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne. Thru those hurricanes, I lived in a boarded up house where I took care of a few trailer friends whose home were not inhabitable. I'd meet with my friend occasional and talk "hurricanes"..... Charlie was nasty, but the other three were "survivable" and didn't cause a ton of damage.

However Texas is getting clobbered and hope they get all the help they need... but I'm sure it will take time.

One issue, and I'm not blaming anyone, but a lot of folks never prepare a bit and wonder why it's so bad. Heck, it's bad even if prepared. During our 2004 hurricanes, we had a good neighborhood where we all got everyone prepared.... I drove to HD and got truck loads of lumber and supplies, and not 2 days before.... it was 5 days before, and I was out of town when Charlie came, but it missed us. However, the prep paid of for the next three.

I wish everyone the best.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #151
Guru

That was my assessment of FEMA after going through Katrina as a supervisor in another federal agency who had to interact with them. What FEMA has, is a lot of money. What FEMA doesn't have, is any expertise in dealing with emergencies or catastrophes.

If, during emergencies like hurricanes, they would just limit themselves to writing checks to fund the activities and efforts of the state and local agencies who do know what they are doing, and stay out of their way, FEMA would actually be quite useful in emergencies.

But, for some reason, they just can't accept that sensible and logical role.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #152
Guru

Wifey B: You realize how wrong this whole thing is when you see Sea Tow going through the streets of Dickinson.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #153
Guru

Let's not forget the hundreds who spontaneously showed up with their own personal gear to pull people to safety. Now that's a flash mob! My favorite is the 5 ton military surplus wrecker, owned and manned by 3 Israeli Defense Force vets (yamalkas and all), operating effectively as a high water rescue vehicle.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #154
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
WifeyB

I noticed that Sea Tow shot, everyone who can help will. The American spirit!
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
"Hurricane Katrina made landfall in the city of New Orleans on the morning of August 29, 2005..."

Interesting article, but incorrect first line. Katrina made landfall on the Mississippi coast with a surge over 20ft. Total destruction for miles inland. New Orleans had minor damage from the winds, and very little surge. It was the heavy rains that broke the levees in NO, but MS took the brunt of the storm. But little press, as we went to work and took care of ourselves and each other, rather than waiting for FEMA.

Not to be a jerk, but if we're making corrections: "The final death toll was at 1,836, primarily from Louisiana (1,577) and Mississippi (238)."
(From the internet; I wasn't there.) Perhaps the meaning of 'taking the brunt' should be clarified.
chriscritchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #156
Guru

Wifey B: The purpose of my post linking to the New Orleans article wasn't accuracy of all the information but to show the long term impact. These areas will never be the same and many people won't return. The landscape changes. Lives change. Everyone living in south Texas will be impacted.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #157
Guru

Yeah, Chris, I wasn't going to rise to FoxtrotCharlie, but .....

Regarding NOLA, the Katrina event generated 5-10" of rain in 36 hours, depending on location. The surge was about 9' in NOLA (Lake Pontchartraine, in particular). I don't have the surge magnitude for the MRGO. The reason the levees failed with a 9' surge was, absolutely indistupatably, the failure of USACE to require contractors to conform to the Corps own design expert's criteria in constructing the levees.

Notwithstanding, the Mississippi coast took record surge (something like 24').

Precipitation had nothing to do with it. We routinely (well, occasionally) get 5-10" on an August afternoon.

And, I was there.

Now, back to the current issue.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #158

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
Just got pics and video from an owner on an adjacent dock. Unbelievably Betsy Lee appears to have it made it without any major damage!! Very sad that there was so much carnage around us. No idea who long it will take to begin the clean up, and could be weeks before power.

Amazing how the dock lines stretched - the aft springs were double 5/8 and tight when i left. We were also assuming the kayaks were gonzo, but they made it.

Cardude - glad Bijou was in FL. Your slip in the second picture caught a lot of debris...

We are heading down this week to secure everything, replace lines and check batteries. If all appears sound, anything additional i need to inspect before i think about running the generator for the battery charger?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 8.15.13 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 8.45.28 PM.jpg  
KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #159
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Very true re death toll LA vs MS. Sorry to bring up the comparison. Lets all keep the TX folks in our prayers. And lets all help how we can, if only sending a few boat $ their way.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #160
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscritchett View Post
Not to be a jerk, but if we're making corrections: "The final death toll was at 1,836, primarily from Louisiana (1,577) and Mississippi (238)."
(From the internet; I wasn't there.) Perhaps the meaning of 'taking the brunt' should be clarified.
I was there. Mostly in Mississippi, but in New Orleans some, too, as federal law enforcement. A large number of the deaths in Louisiana were homicides. The exact number is unknown because the coroner, after classifying a shocking number of the deaths as homicides, was instructed to just list cause of death as simply being caused by Hurricane Katrina, no matter what the forensic examination showed. And, many bodies were not recovered for weeks, making accurate cause of death determinations difficult anyway.

Going back and forth, the difference in the situation in New Orleans and Mississippi was stark, to say the least. And, the amount of storm each received had little to do with the difference. New Orleans is a rough town in the best of circumstances. I doubt the entire story of New Orleans and Katrina will ever be told as it would shatter too many illusions about how quickly our cities can become uncivilized in a crisis. The ones that have been told are bad enough.

I hope things go better in Texas.