Old 02-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #21
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: Carbon Monoxide

My factory installed CO detector is on the ceiling. My boat is ABYC compliant. So I would ignorantly assume that it is in the correct location.

Marin, your houseboat reference...is slightly off or incomplete. That particular make of houseboat had a little "cave compartment" underneath the swim platform. IOW, you had to go under water and then surface into it to access it. Obviously, this is quite attractive to most kids who have a little "explorer" in them. Well this particular manufacturer also chose to exhaust the generator into this compartment....I will continue my post below in all CAPS!!!!

I WANT TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS THIS. ALL IT TAKES IS ONE BREATH OF CO...AND IF IT IS CONCENTRATED ENOUGH......JUST ONE BREATH CAN KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many people think that it takes prolonged exposure to CO in order for it to be insidiously deadly. That is often the case in lower concentrations. But in this houseboat example, since the gases had nowhere to go, the concentrations were extremely deadly and these kids were surfacing and taking one breath and that is all she wrote.....ONE BREATH!!!!! And there is absolutely nothing anybody can do at that point. The hemoglobin is basically completely "occupied" and there is nothing you can do to detach the CO from the hemoglobin to allow oxygen innto the system.

And most of us know that the hemoglobin in the blood has an affinity for CO over 02....I think I remember something like 50x more but I have no clue if that is correct but you get the point.

ANOTHER THING SOME DON'T REALIZE IS THAT THE CO WILL REMAIN IN THE BLOOD FOR A VERY LONG TIME....DAYS!!!!! SO IF THE CONCENTRATION IS A DEADLY ONE, YOU ARE TOAST!!!!....while pure oxygen can help in some cases(lower concetrations), if there is enough CO "monopolizing" the hemoglobin, no amount of pure oxygen is gonna help.

As far as the rest of the bull**** on here, thanks for governing yourselves. Y'all are a very fine bunch of folks!!!....and I mean that sincerely!!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #22

Also.....unfortunately, there have been many cases where the generator exhaust of one boat migrated into another boat and killed someone. This is why I absolutely refuse to raft up to any gas boat running a generator.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
Baker wrote:I WANT TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS THIS. ALL IT TAKES IS ONE BREATH OF CO...AND IF IT IS CONCENTRATED ENOUGH......JUST ONE BREATH CAN KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jack Kevorkian found it to be very effective.*
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:
use the instructions that come with one of the "marine" CO units regarding mounting ... it has passed the scrutiny of their engineers and lawyers

It's a lot to expect people who ask questions on a boating forum to read the instructions that came with your equipment.**

Any piece of safety equipment you buy, for your home, car, boat, or whatever will have instructions for its use.* Both the smoke detector and CO detector I bought for my boat had multiple pages of instructions in several languages.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #25

Quote:
RickB wrote:

Baker wrote:I WANT TO MAKE SURE EVERYONE UNDERSTANDS THIS. ALL IT TAKES IS ONE BREATH OF CO...AND IF IT IS CONCENTRATED ENOUGH......JUST ONE BREATH CAN KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jack Kevorkian found it to be very effective.*

Yep...definitely a good example....although he likely went with a more "insidious" approach I would think....for humanatarian reasons.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #26
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Baker wrote:

My factory installed CO detector is on the ceiling. My boat is ABYC compliant. So I would ignorantly assume that it is in the correct location.

ANOTHER THING SOME DON'T REALIZE IS THAT THE CO WILL REMAIN IN THE BLOOD FOR A VERY LONG TIME....DAYS!!!!! SO IF THE CONCENTRATION IS A DEADLY ONE, YOU ARE TOAST!!!!....while pure oxygen can help in some cases(lower concetrations), if there is enough CO "monopolizing" the hemoglobin, no amount of pure oxygen is gonna help.
Interesting thing.* Our boats are built by the same folks.* The one in my Salon is mounted close to the ceiling as you stated.* The one in the Forward stateroom is mounted about half way up the bulkhead which makes it just above head level when you are lying on the bed.

As far as blood concentrations goes when I was younger and working in a garage which was closed up due to the cold weather outside we ran a hose out under the garage overhead door.* But if the wind was wrong it would blow half or more back in.* One time when they did a blood test the Veterinarian that I was going to remarked that the amount of concentration I had was considered high for most but due to what I did for a living he said that it was not unusual for it to be high for car mechanics.* Of course in those days the Carb Cleaner bucket had Carbolic Acid in it (and it worked) and brake shoes and pads*had Asbestos in them as did the clutch plates.

Maybe that explains me being a Democrat.* Just kidding.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Baker wrote:

Marin, your houseboat reference...is slightly off or incomplete.
John--- Just to keep the minutes of the meeting accurate, the houseboat reference was Carl's, not mine.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Baker wrote:

Marin, your houseboat reference...is slightly off or incomplete.
John--- Just to keep the minutes of the meeting accurate, the houseboat reference was Carl's, not mine.

Thanks...sorry bout dat!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

Carbon Monoxide

"Seems that most people responding don't know where to install a CO detector."

????*

"Carbon monoxide fills up a room from the top down, so closer to the ceiling may be a better location."

[img]download.spark?ID=875320&aBID=115492[/img][img]download.spark?ID=875321&aBID=115492[/img]

Oh darn, they must have gotten a dose of CO and stopped backpedaling.

-- Edited by RickB on Monday 14th of February 2011 06:28:37 PM
Old 02-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #30
Per
Guru

Quote:
RickB wrote:

"Seems that most people responding don't know where to install a CO detector."

????*

"Carbon monoxide fills up a room from the top down, so closer to the ceiling may be a better location."

[img]download.spark?ID=875320&aBID=115492[/img][img]download.spark?ID=875321&aBID=115492[/img]

Oh darn, they must have gotten a dose of CO and stopped backpedaling.

-- Edited by RickB on Monday 14th of February 2011 06:28:37 PM
hopefully now everyone knows to install the CO detector high on the flybridge...

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -
Carbon Monoxide

Before people start imagining CO as being in the same league as, say, helium, the definitions of CO I have found describe it as just "slightly lighter than air." What this tells me is that it is easily wafted around by even small air currents, and that it can fill or collect in spaces other than being up against the ceiling. A car exhaust can fill up a gargage to deadly levels pretty quickly, and a boat cabin is usually a lot smaller than a garage. An earlier poster talked about CO wafting into their boat from the generator of a nearby boat. So "up" isn't always so "up" it seems. I would think if a current of air is wafting it about your head while you're asleep, you got problems no matter how far below the cabin overhead your head happens to be.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 14th of February 2011 10:19:13 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #32

Carbon Monoxide

I was just using that example as a way to explain how dangerous CO is and that it is not always the insidious killer that we have all been taught. *It CAN be an IMMEDIATE killer........THAT WAS THE ONLY REASON FOR MY POST!!!!!!...and I used the houseboat incidents as an example without realizing it had any personal implications to anyone on this forum!!!! *Again....I am sorry!!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 10:57:51 AM
Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #33

Carbon Monoxide

This is NOT the article I read but it is perfectly in line with what I read in Boat US magazine.*
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4949a1.htm

-- Edited by Baker on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 10:58:19 AM
Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #34

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C

My goodness, The man just wanted to know where you guys have your detectors. BB
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:25 AM   #35
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Old Stone, I understand the anger but Baker was not in any way belittling or making light of the awful situation of your friends.He was making a general comment without any knowledge of the tragedy you subsequently *described.

I think his last post sums up his feelings pretty well.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #36
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

I think my last post is redundant. Talk about living in world of instant technology.Slow typing and fast posts.

It would be nice to catch up with you guys sometime for a few beers, (or two)
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #37
Scraping Paint

Quote:
belizebill wrote:My goodness, The man just wanted to know where you guys have your detectors. BB
Go back and read post #1.* There have been a couple of revisions since then, primarily to accuse the group of not knowing where to mount detectors.

Gotta laugh though, it's like a race car just before being lapped, for a moment it looks like it's leading.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #38

Carbon Monoxide

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:

Baker Budddy - My apologies. Because a dear friend lost two kids to this subject, I get a bit hot under the collar. She and the rest of her kids on on meds for the rest of their lives. You did not deserve that rant. Again, Sorry.
Apology accepted. *Thanks my friend!!!! *And am so glad you are sticking around. *We didn't want to lose ya!!!!

And I deleted and edited everything out of existence.

-- Edited by Baker on Tuesday 15th of February 2011 10:59:12 AM
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
RickB wrote:

belizebill wrote:My goodness, The man just wanted to know where you guys have your detectors. BB
Go back and read post #1.* There have been a couple of revisions since then, primarily to accuse the group of not knowing where to mount detectors.

Gotta laugh though, it's like a race car just before being lapped, for a moment it looks like it's leading.

It was an attempt to get people making smart-aleck remarks to come forward as to what their practice or experience*was for mounting CO detectors.* But then, some people would rather just be bumptious.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote