Captains License

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My nephew is on a submarine....somewhere under the water.

Does his time underwater get subtracted from his above water sea time?

My nephew is on a submarine....somewhere under the water.

Does his time underwater get subtracted from his above water sea time?

Wifey B: Yes, just like when you run in reverse. I always wondered why the odometer in my car didn't go backwards when I backed up. Seems like it should. :rofl:

submariners time for deck days I do believe is counted but diffetently........but can be counted but only a portion depending on overall sea time.

Last edited:
submariners time for deck days I do believe is counted but diffetently........but can be counted but only a portion depending on overall sea time.

Not too many hours as a member of a deck crew, every year. LOL

Not too many hours as a member of a deck crew, every year. LOL

I believe the time is counted as long as 25 percent of your sea time was on a floating vessel...I dont remember exactly...but one wishing to use sub time needs to contact the maritime center as not many TF members may have the correct info.

Doesn't it depend on the person's responsibility on the boat? For instance, on a naval ship, one assigned as a navigator or bridge watcher versus a marine soldier or head cleaner?

Sometimes, depends on the bigger picture ....but generally yes, deck for deck, engineering for engineering.....etc.....But they allow a little overlap.

Sometimes, depends on the bigger picture ....but generally yes, deck for deck, engineering for engineering.....etc.....But they allow a little overlap.

They use to allow you to apply time to both licenses but now you have to choose which it is. Makes it far more difficult to get both licenses in the future.

They use to allow you to apply time to both licenses but now you have to choose which it is. Makes it far more difficult to get both licenses in the future.

Not what I meant...but good to know. Time at sea no matter what you do counts a bit to the examiners I talked to.

I got credit as a helo pilot but they also knew I had been trained to nav and run similar ships.

You learn a lot while at sea...no matter what your job if you pay attention. Thats what they take into account is my guess.

Last edited:
Hope you don't mind my posting a picture of my great uncles Chiefs license. Note Any HP of steam or motor vessels. Also note the issue numbers. We had lots of USCG licenses in the family, but his was the most substantial. My dad had along with his 200 ton tugboat operator, an Unlimited Thirds from all his time at sea in the war.

Attachments

• IMG_5661.jpg
    IMG_5661.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I do have a question for those in the know of this stuff. I see several references to getting a towing endorsement along with whatever license is being applied for. Does this require towing experience or just book learning?
My license was specific to towing and required actual time on towing vessels doing that work.
Seems like I have seen mention of just adding a towing endorsement like it was no big deal, almost a gift. Just wondering.

Clarifying some definitions:

• A day of sea service is any day that a mariner served upon a vessel in an assigned position in either the deck or engineering department of a vessel (not a passenger). The position may include duties such as: handling lines, being a lookout, steering the boat, and other navigational or propulsion functions.

Then here is a link to counting military time, which includes submarines.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/professional_qualifications/crediting_military_ss.pdf

Service is now counted at 60% of the total time aboard a ship. However, documenting and calculating gets far more complicated, in some ways ridiculously difficult to get the records and documentation.

And definition of a day:

Day means, for the purpose of complying with the service requirements of this subchapter, 8 hours of watchstanding or day-working not to include overtime. On vessels authorized by 46 U.S.C. 8104 and 46 CFR 15.705, to operate a two-watch system, a 12-hour working day may be creditable as 11⁄2 days of service. On vessels of less than 100 GRT, a day is considered as 8 hours unless the Coast Guard determines that the vessel's operating schedule makes this criteria inappropriate; in no case will this period be less than 4 hours. When computing service on MODUs for any endorsement, a day of MODU service must be a minimum of 4 hours, and no additional credit is received for periods served over 8 hours. For cadet service on a training ship furnished by the Maritime Administration under 46 CFR 310.4, a day may be creditable as 11⁄2 days of service.

MODU is Mobile Offshore Drilling Unit

I do have a question for those in the know of this stuff. I see several references to getting a towing endorsement along with whatever license is being applied for. Does this require towing experience or just book learning?
My license was specific to towing and required actual time on towing vessels doing that work.
Seems like I have seen mention of just adding a towing endorsement like it was no big deal, almost a gift. Just wondering.
Towing in general and assistance towing (BoatUS, Sea Tow, etc) are 2 total separate things

Towing licenses are I think the toughest to get pound for pound...assistznce towing is just a class and usually a bad one at that unless the instructor varied a lot from the usual coursework geared towards heavy towing.

Last edited:
Daymn I had a lot of sea time. 7war patrols X56days One 6months on a destroyer. All in engineering, main propulsion. The difficulty at the time was getting records for the subs (secret)

Back
Top Bottom