Captained day charters on GB 32 or 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
I have my USCG 50 Ton License(and also the sail auxiliary) Im going to retire from my career soon and I plan to maybe do charters as a small business and something to do in retirement. I have always been partial to Grand Banks vessels and this is where my search is starting however I am open to other suggestions and thoughts from the forum.

I’m wondering if anyone has input on how many passengers you might be able to get a 32 or a 36 certified to carry by the Coast Guard? I know it is quite the process as I researched it for my 40 foot schooner sailboat I learned that where I had to make the necessary changes it would’ve been expensive, it would change the aesthetics of the boat in a way with which I wasn’t comfortable, and I wasn’t going to be certified to carry enough additional passengers over the Six Passenger non inspected manner to make it worthwhile so I dropped it.
I’m not interested in overnight onboard accommodation trips, as that is a whole different level of compliance, and I understand that after the tragic west coast dive boat fire that those regulation are getting even more strict..

Any and all thoughts and input appreciated!

Are you familiar with the Jones Act restrictions on foreign built vessels hauling passengers for hire in US waters? In your earlier research, did you also look into the insurance requirements?

USCG & Chartering

Had you kept your passenger load to six or less then few hoops to jump through. But your plans bump you into a Sub Chapter-T vessel and you honestly don’t want to start down that road. I’ve conducted literally hundreds of charter vessels in both Chapt T and H so let me give you a brief list of requirements.

In order to receive a COI or Certificate of Inspection allowing you to carry passengers for hire the vessel cannot be foreign built. So forget about Grand Banks. Regardless here is a brief run down of what you can expect trying to get a COI.

Wood hulls will require a thorough hull inspection including a full belt of plank removals both sides to allow for a frame inspection. If the hull inspector feels more access is necessary then more planks will be marked for removal. Fasteners must be drawn as identified by inspector. More depending.

GRP hulls will require full underbody hull inspection normally conducted during internal and deck inspection.

Steel or aluminum hulls will require ( unless new or nearly so ) a full ultrasonic or audiogauge plate inspection which will go on file for baseline dimensions

Hull must have a full watertight crash bulkhead forward per USCG design.
All doors and hatches and door combing height must comply with Chapt T
All railing heights must comply
Escape hatches properly located and sized per Chapt T
Fuel shut offs remoted to deck
Fire main on deck, all fire fighting equipment and automatic fire suppression for machinery spaces, hoses, nozzles etc etc. .
Automatic fire alarms and shut downs
High water alarms
Bilge pumping and piped to all compartments.
Protective shrouds and covers on all rotating machinery
Full compliment of life saving and flotation devices with hydrostatic release on life rafts or buoyant devices
Vessel will require full stability test or inclining with Stabilty Certificate issued by a qualified Naval Architect.
Lots more

I could write a book but this is just a taste of what you would need. I suggest a visit to your district USCG MSO Office ( Marine Safety Office ) and get a copy of the Dept of Transportation USCG CFR which outlines Sub Chap T regulations and a feel for what you’re running into. Every district supposedly follows these rules but realistically local conditions dictate how the district command enforces things. With some recent accidents such as the California dive boat fire and loss of life the USCG is on high alert and bound to be tougher to deal with. I can’t imagine any vessel of the size, tonnage and design you’re talking about getting a COI for so many passengers and even if you got twelve your route would be protected waters only or “ lakes, bays and sounds “.

Just spitballing here but if I could maybe give you some advice I believe the smart move would be to buy a vessel that either still has a current COI or one that is now out of service but had a COI. Go to the District MSO office and gingerly see if the vessel could be restored. I might also note that one problem that prevents folks from getting into the charter business is finding a suitable landing that is secure, safe for boarding, parking etc. then there is insurance.

Good luck
Rick

Jones Act I didn’t see coming.

Thank you for such a thorough and thoughtful reply! I didn’t see the Jones act thing coming. I had just forgotten. I do already have the CFR book. Also, your thoughts on finding one already in service would make sense.

Can you clarify that if I limited it to six passengers I could do so with the Grand Banks, or would that still apply? Of course insurance would still apply.

In addition to Rich and Rick's excellent advice above, about getting a boat that can be made legal, I would share a couple of broader lessons from my experience. Wherever there are boats, there are people who want to make money from boating. As soon as folks along your local stretch of waterfront get wind that you are making a few bucks carrying passengers on your boat, you will have five competitors. Some of them will barely be legal, but all will compete ruthlessly to chase the price of what you're offering all the way to the bottom of profitability, if not lower.

If you are operating in an area where there is a sustainable supply of prospective passengers, the competition will be even fiercer. If you are serious about this, be the first to secure exclusive access to a commercially-zoned dock for picking up and returning passengers. Even smarter: identify every dock in your market that is not just safe and functional, but also legal, from which to pick-up and drop off paying passengers, and get first refusal on them.

Do all of this and you will make money - sometimes!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom