Captain for training on Florida's east coast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panhandler

Vessel Name
Sea Triscuit
Vessel Make
Transtar 50'
All,

My wife and I closed on a 51' 1976 Transtar trawler in Melbourne this week. It's our first big boat and the insurance company would like me to have 15 hours of on the boat training with a CG licensed captain before operating the boat without a captain on board. I'm willing to concede it's not a bad idea and the insurance savings will pay for a captain :angel:. Do you know of a captain in the greater Melbourne area you could point me towards? Or better yet, any captains on here in that area? Thanks

The fun part is that we now own a trawler! After making sure the craigslist ad was real, a survey (Noel Miley was great and happily explained everything as I followed him around), mechanical inspection, and sea trial we felt pretty good about moving forwards with the purchase. She isn't perfect, but seems to be the right balance of solid systems and components with the need for some TLC on the decks, windows, and a little wiring - all things I can do. The single Cat 3208NA does need a little work on the cooling system, which I'll have to have someone do since we're not down there for me to fool with it. Sometime in April, after completing training with a captain, we'll bring the boat from Melbourne back to our house on Bayou Grande in Pensacola. I can't wait for the trip!

A few photos:

de1916c6da55f4f94a1f533219103e0c.jpg.jpg

8dac0d9eb4098e015262af219fe184de.jpg.jpg

39ef11c26a461b9797c218e5c6e0e3c1.jpg.jpg

4edd372a76c89533a57b20af0a443047.jpg.jpg

Since you need to relocate your boat, hire a delivery Capt. with you going with him/her. Should give you more than enough hours of training. BTW, love your boat. I see one comfortable cruising boat there.

Love the idea of a berth in the pilothouse. Haven't got used to the floor tiles yet, however.

Could be....most Thompsons I have seen or been on have a much more prominent bow like in the pic...but you never know....I prefer the OP boat's profile over Thompsons.

Also for the OP...make sure the captain you hire has a reputation for being a good instructor (if that is what you want). I have worked with a lot of captains who are great captains but lousy instructors. All they want to do is finish a delivery as fast as possible, or they constantly grab the controls away from the owner when anything is slightly amiss, they "expect" performance rather than train to it, etc...etc... Not all have the background or disposition for training...if training skills are what is important...look for them...not captain credentials only.

Attachments

• CIMG5670.JPG
    CIMG5670.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 586
Thanks, all!

Ragin Cajun, I'm hoping to only pay for two days of training rather than a full week for delivery, but it certainly is an option and more training wouldn't hurt!

Markpierce, I feel the same way! The floor kills me. I'd love to put down a decent wood or wood laminate floor, but I'm really trying to follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix (pay) for it" motto on this boat... and the admiral loves the black and white pattern. So, the floor is staying.

Donsan, I have no idea. My understanding is that the hull was made in Florida by Transtar as a hull for long line commercial fishing boats. No one seems to know for sure but the surveyor felt it was likely that the hull was originally designed for commercial applications. It's a beast.

Psneeld, good point. I'd hate to waste 15 hours and the money on someone who can't teach.

Also for the OP...make sure the captain you hire has a reputation for being a good instructor (if that is what you want). I have worked with a lot of captains who are great captains but lousy instructors. All they want to do is finish a delivery as fast as possible, or they constantly grab the controls away from the owner when anything is slightly amiss, they "expect" performance rather than train to it, etc...etc... Not all have the background or disposition for training...if training skills are what is important...look for them...not captain credentials only.

I agree. And this is why I don't recommend people who can't teach to teach. :D

I hardly ever grab the wheel from an owner during a scheduled lesson.

Most of the time I would have to set down my beer and handful of pretzels...:thumb:

I have no idea. My understanding is that the hull was made in Florida by Transtar as a hull for long line commercial fishing boats. No one seems to know for sure but the surveyor felt it was likely that the hull was originally designed for commercial applications. It's a beast.

Thompson, Titusville FL, was in the commercial fishing boat business and then made a line of trawler type boats. They also sold hulls for owners or other yards to finish off. They made a 51' hull. But certainly they were not the only commercial boat builder. As psneld mentioned, the Thompsons normally have a very prominent bow.

Here is a pic of a 51' Thompson.

Attachments

• tompson51.jpg
    tompson51.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 97
Welcome Aboard........Pretty boat! And I LOVE the engine room!

I have paid for two training sessions with a USCG captain that specialize with yacht handling training.

Both did a great job of training.

When we first were talking about getting a boat, my then girlfriend (now wife) was a bit worried about handling a boat in the size we were discussing. I suggested we take a charter training course and make sure she was comfortable with it. She did great, but the captain was an older ex Navy Chief that was used to training men. She learned a LOT and was good to go with a boat, but I wouldn't recommend this guy for most woman being trained.

The second training we did was a year ago on our own boat with a local training captain. He did great with my wife and with me also. Went through the boat's entire systems and service items and spend hours with both of us with docking, anchoring, running the boat and emergency procedures for when things go wrong. Both of the training weekends were about $1500.00 for the two of us. The boat handling skills we both gained were well worth the cost. Especially for my wife and her comfort in running our now even larger boat now.

Here is a pic of a 51' Thompson.

I see what you mean, similar style hulls but the Thompson definitely has more rise, or perhaps drop towards the stern.

Welcome Aboard........Pretty boat! And I LOVE the engine room!

Thanks! Room to stand up and work in the engine room sold me. The huge living area sold the admiral. Win-win!

I have paid for two training sessions with a USCG captain that specialize with yacht handling training.

Both did a great job of training.

That's great to hear. I'm excited about improving skills and techniques. My wife is already fearless so a little training will help improve the safety of others!

Another thing to keep in mind about boat handling training....

Is it is a rare person that can stand more than a half day...even a straight 4 hours of intense training is a lot.

Spread it out with non handling training and a full day is possible. I usually never recommended it unless it would be "cruise" training where you are going somewhere aboard the boat. Once a person is cooked, not much else sinks in.

The more demanding the conditions (ultimately needed for the better training) but definitely more fatiguing.

Make sure your instructor is good with this and will break up the training as best as you can take it...many charge by the half day where I am so it works out for both.

Last edited:
Markpierce, I feel the same way! The floor kills me. I'd love to put down a decent wood or wood laminate floor, but I'm really trying to follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix (pay) for it" motto on this boat... and the admiral loves the black and white pattern. So, the floor is staying.

That's what counts.

Good point, but the tile pattern is too large in too small a space for that to be an issue.

I don't know, the only time I became "land sick" after a multi day offshore trip was when I walked into a restaurant with a checker board pattern like that.

Had to grab on to the backs of chairs on my way out to steady myself. Didn't even have a chance to get a drink. :D

I don't know, the only time I became "land sick" after a multi day offshore trip was when I walked into a restaurant with a checker board pattern like that.

Had to grab on to the backs of chairs on my way out to steady myself. Didn't even have a chance to get a drink. :D
Floor tiles or lack of drink?

The hair removal place helps with that too...one stop shopping...:D

When I acquired my boat I spent 3 days with an instructor, delivery skipper in Bellingham. When we first talked he advised me that he would not be touching the wheel at ANY time. He was great and very patient as he had my son, age 14, at the time take the wheel and also study charts. It was a great experience and if you are going to pay someone get the most from it.

Glen

When I acquired my boat I spent 3 days with an instructor, delivery skipper in Bellingham. When we first talked he advised me that he would not be touching the wheel at ANY time. He was great and very patient as he had my son, age 14, at the time take the wheel and also study charts. It was a great experience and if you are going to pay someone get the most from it.

Glen

If that included docking practice...was he willing to let you smash up your boat or others?

He might be good.....but nobody is good enough to gamble talking someone new to them though anything....when I said taking the wheel should be a last resort...it sometimes gets there.

Sounds weird as any hands on training usually involves a point where the instructor may take over the controls....in cars, airplanes and boats...an boats usually don't have a separate set of controls so the training skipper has to be extra alert at critical times.

Last edited:
If that included docking practice...was he willing to let you smash up your boat or others?

He might be good.....but nobody is good enough to gamble talking someone new to them though anything....when I said taking the wheel should be a last resort...it sometimes gets there.

Sounds weird as any hands on training usually involves a point where the instructor may take over the controls....in cars, airplanes and boats...an boats usually don't have a separate set of controls so the training skipper has to be extra alert at critical times.

+1 Weird.

Without touching the controls how would you know how the boat handles? There could be something wrong with the steeering or controls that I new owner might not recognize.

+1 Weird.

Without touching the controls how would you know how the boat handles? There could be something wrong with the steeering or controls that I new owner might not recognize.

Sometimes in tough situations...I would have to dock the boat a half dozen times to see what can/can't be done and to have more than one way to suggest to a skipper having problems.

Tough call. It is called "hands on training" so backing off is necessary but I have seen even small dock rashes keep boats tied up for years until sold because the captain and crew were fearful of damaging their boat or others. I was more scared as an instructor helo pilot due to errors, but feel like more of a therapist when teaching boat handling.

Last edited:
I have been interested in this thread. Assuming a satisfactory survey, I am going to have to learn how to handle a single engine power boat with a bow and stern thruster in about a month. While "concerned" would be too strong a word, I have been thinking about the transition from a sailboat to a power boat. Roughly the same length, both with single engine, but the power boat will be heavier and have a smaller rudder. Growing up with sail boats, I have a pretty innate sense of how a sailboat will spin around its fin keel.

So, any suggestions? How many think that it would be worth the time and expense to hire an instructor for an afternoon? I am inclined to think it would be good, not so much for me as for my wife (ie she doesn't have to learn from me or worry about my learning curve).

I certainly can't hurt. I would spend a couple of days with someone who is very good with single screw boats and never use the thrusters.

Then another 15 minutes practicing with the thrusters. :D

Back
Top Bottom