capsized boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steel boats aren't invulnerable. A steel boat, heavy duty steel boat, I used to work on was broken into three times. Twice it was to take electronics and other easily movable and valuable items. The third time the burglar attempted to steal the boat. In all three cases access was through windows. Break the glass and they're in. They weren't getting through the weather tight doors without tools and a lot of work. The guy who wanted to steal the boat was quickly caught. I had to go to his trial, he really was dumber than a rock.

The best security I can think of is a loud alarm. Not just outside the boat but inside as well. Ear piercingly loud. Painfully loud. And very difficult to turn off. That's what we installed on the work boat. Had to give that up because of too many false alarms. Too many people needed legitimate access to the boat and we just couldn't keep some from making mistakes. After the attempted theft of the boat we installed a key locked start battery disconnect switch.

A rowing club I belonged to had a rash of car break-ins. Eventually the cops came to lecture us. There told us there is no way to understand the thought process of a thief. They are just simply different than the rest of us. It doesn't even work to leave your car unlocked to save yourself a broken window. They won't check the doors, just smash and grab.

Lock your boat, house and vehicles. I do. I also know if they want in they'll get in.

Recovering the rescue swimmer into the helo is much safer in those conditions than trying to get him on a boat. I spent many years as a SAR aviator in the Army and Air National Guard(many long range over water SAR missions are done by Air Guard Units).
Rescue swimmers of any service are awesome guys, (usually have to almost physically restrain them when it is not safe for them to go out).
Thinking of the owner of that boat seeing it on TV; in 1984 I had a part time job as a helicopter pilot for a Sheriffs' department that patrolled Lake Michigan. We flew over a boat right n the middle of the lake. The observer deputy asked me, "don't you have one of those"? I looked closely, and it was my boat! Some guy had stolen it from its' lakefront harbor and was heading for Indiana. Needless to say we followed and when he got to Michigan City he was greeted by the local sheriff and arrested. The local USCG folks kindly took care of my boat till I could get to reclaim it. We had to refuel at the local airport to get back across the lake. Ask me if the Sheriff compensated me for the fuel I had to pay for(LOL).
Also ask me if the bad guy got any meaningful time for it(another LOL).

Canadian news video with more info
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2622703

I wonder if he crossed into the U.S. before or after Canadian police issued the arrest warrant on January 19th.

As for sea anchors, the boat seemed like it was in about 50 feet of water plus or minus so I'd drop anchor and pray.

Don't you PNW folks lock up your boats?
I never lock my boat. Berthed on the mid-Chesapeake. But I don't leave the keys in the ignition. Break-ins are highly unlikely. Nothing of real value inside unless one counts galley equipment and what thief would bother with pots, pans, and knives. Call me crazy but theft of the boat is just not something I worry about.

I never lock my boat. Berthed on the mid-Chesapeake. But I don't leave the keys in the ignition. Break-ins are highly unlikely. Nothing of real value inside unless one counts galley equipment and what thief would bother with pots, pans, and knives. Call me crazy but theft of the boat is just not something I worry about.

Mine is "secured" so high in the lift that the boarding ramp is unusable, and the control box is locked. When we are gone from the house, the pier circuit breaker is opened in the house.

Attachments

• DSC00586.jpg
    DSC00586.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Rich, now I have to bring a generator too.

If you are here with your genny (and don't forget the cutter for the lock), my nosey and heavily-armed neighbor will have vote in your success too. :)

bolt cutters, IRS credentials for neighbor, anything else.:rofl:

Well, there's my scent you will have to duplicate for his over-protective dawg. :) No fences in the hood to hold her back.

And my sincere apologies for the thread drift. I couldn’t help myself.

I read about the advanced rescue training program, plus the requirements to get the initial certification. These rescue swimmers are very well trained and it's incredibly impressive. The helicopter pilots too, indeed the entire crew, especially when they practice cliff and cave rescues. Brave, dedicated and well trained.

I read about the advanced rescue training program, plus the requirements to get the initial certification. These rescue swimmers are very well trained and it's incredibly impressive. The helicopter pilots too, indeed the entire crew, especially when they practice cliff and cave rescues. Brave, dedicated and well trained.

Amen. I feel lucky to live and boat in a country that stands up and sustains a state-of-the-art coast guard, which has so many missions. Hope I never need a rescue, but thanks to the USCG for being there and ready in case I do.

Columbia bar rollover

I believe it’s been reported the captain on board in addition to being wanted by authorities, he had also stolen the boat he wrecked !

I believe it’s been reported the captain on board in addition to being wanted by authorities, he had also stolen the boat he wrecked !

I don’t believe he was a captain, just a boat thief…

If he's the only one aboard and operating the vessel...pretty sure he's the captain. :D

Last edited:
IMO he may be the operator but that doesn’t necessarily make him a captain.

Pretty sure the maritime legal description for him would be captain. Operator or helmsman or "officer of the conn" makes it sound like someone else on board is actually in charge.

Pretty hard to pass the buck on a solo voyage. He HAS to be either operator or captain... I believe captain would hold if he was also charged with other maritime crimes besides heft.

Last edited:
I always thought the formal term was "master." The CG often uses "Captain" or "Cap" on the radio, but I take as informal politeness. In this case I suppose you could go with "Skipper." But this guy is no Captain.

Master is also a legal/common term interchangeably used.

https://dictionary.thelaw.com/captain-or-sea-captain/

CAPTAIN OR SEA CAPTAIN
THELAW.COM LAW DICTIONARY & BLACK'S LAW DICTIONARY 2ND ED.

mar. law. The name given to the master or commander of a vessel. He is known in this country very generally by the name of master.

OBrien called them master and commander before the rank of captain was reached. A lieutenant could be a master and commander.

A "Captain" in military service may have something to do with rank but nothing to do with a vessel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom