Old 02-04-2023, 06:50 PM   #41
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Don't you PNW folks lock up your boats?
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:56 PM   #42
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
I recently read a good book about the sinking of the replica BOUNTY during Superstorm Sandy some years back.
The CG rescue swimmers are in the thick of it. Very good read.
Ya gonna give us a hint?
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:00 PM   #43
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Ya gonna give us a hint?
Rescue of the Bounty,

Michael J. Tougias and Douglas A. Campbell

Title seems odd as the Bounty was not rescued.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:31 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
There was also a documentary on the Bounty sinking but I don’t recall the name. But it was on The Weather Channel.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:34 AM   #45
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

what thoughts do you have if they had lowered the driving anchor "drogue" into the sea, which would have turned the bow to the incoming wave?

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:56 AM   #46
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I actually know a lot of people that don’t lock their boats. Keys left in ignition switches too.
Really though, boats as a rule seem pretty easy to break into. My brother had his hatteras 52 stolen in tacoma several years back. It was locked at the time. Pretty ballsy thing to do, not many big sport fishers in Puget sound with a full tower so easy to spot.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:24 AM   #47
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarler View Post
I actually know a lot of people that don’t lock their boats. Keys left in ignition switches too.
Really though, boats as a rule seem pretty easy to break into. My brother had his hatteras 52 stolen in tacoma several years back. It was locked at the time. Pretty ballsy thing to do, not many big sport fishers in Puget sound with a full tower so easy to spot.

I agree, I see tons of boats with the keys in the ignitions. Our keys are only there underway and at anchor. Otherwise they're stowed in the tool cabinet which has a hook to hang the keys on.

But as mentioned, boats aren't usually hard to break into. I think it would take someone longer to find the engine keys on our boat than it would to get a door open.

Plus, with a little bit of electrical knowledge, someone could easily get a boat (especially with an outside helm) started without the keys.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:36 AM   #48
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
So, what happened to the stolen rolled boat? Did it get towed back into harbor?
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:38 AM   #49
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Hi,

what thoughts do you have if they had lowered the driving anchor "drogue" into the sea, which would have turned the bow to the incoming wave?

NBs
Good question - and a way to turn an unfortunate circumstance into a learning experience.

Given the outcome, dropping anchor as a drogue would not have made it worse and very likely would have made it better....I think. The rescue swimmer, a credible source albeit in an incredible situation from a poor vantage point, estimated the wave at 35-feet. Had the boat been bow-to the wave without power, would it have pitch-poled? The swimer and victim would likely have faired much worse - but mostly because incredibly bad timing to be attempting rescue at the very moment an uber-wave hits.

First, when a boat is adrift, it wants to go roughly beam-to prevailing winds. I know, common sense says the bow would point into the wind like a weather vane atop a barn. I forget the exact reasoning behind hydro-dynamic and aero-dynamic tensioning, but suffice to say, the boat wants to go beam-to. It's why boats 'sail' back and forth at anchor - it goes one direction trying to get beam-to until the anchor rode tension takes over and reverses. Rinse/Repeat. I used to demonstrate this with when I used my boat as a training platform for close quarter maneuvers.

As you could see from the USCG video, being beam-to is a really bad thing. Personally, being a single engine boat owner with ambitious cruising plans, I worry about being adrift for two reasons: first, heavy rolling that would complicate repairs. Second, lee-shore. As part of my prep, I just purchased a Burke SeaBrake. It's not a true storm anchor or even a full drogue. But being fairly compact and under $300 for my boat, seemed like a worthwhile bit of insurance. I have 200-feet of 5/8" double braid and 30-feet of 5/16" chain for the rode for it, which is also my 3rd rode aboard. While I would certainly depoly it in storm condtions, I doubt it would last long due to chafe. But who knows - couldn't hurt.

Good question and topic.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:50 AM   #50
Guru

Interestingly, as bad as being beam-to in large seas is, that boat appeared to be riding quite well considering the sea state, at least until that breaker came through and smacked it.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:59 AM   #51
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Would a drogue or sea anchor have helped. It's hard to say but I'll take a shot at thinking it through. I've never used one so this is a thought experiment not real experience

A sea anchor or drogue probably would have helped at sea where the main force encountered is the wind usually coming from the same direction as the seas.

But when wind and sea direction are different the situation is entirely different. This is possible on bars like the Columbia Rvier bar where the sea direction can be changed by the channel and land masses. If you've flown over a place like that on a windy day you can see the different directions the waves take as they move ashore and come up the channel. The wind is also funneled by the land mass, in this case the high bluffs of North Head and Cape Disappointment, changing direction. In other words there is no guarantee the seas and winds will be from the same direction.

There is another consideration as well. The tidal currents. Simply stated the sea anchor or drogue will be 'pulled' by the currents. The force on the boat's underwater shape will be the same. In the absence of winds that would lead you to think the the boat + sea anchor / drogue would move together with the tidal current. But let's not jump to that conclusion yet. It's not at all unusual in narrow channels especially river bars with powerful currents for currents at the surface to be moving in different velocities and in different directions than the currents below. Think about what can happen with a rising tide and strong river outflow. Is the sea anchor / drogue on the surface or below?

Now bring the wind back into the equation. As I've said, I've not used a sea anchor or drogue. But I have had to anchor to work in situations where the wind + waves were in opposite direction to the currents. Unless one or the other is much more powerful then the boat behaves just as mvweebles says, it lays beam to the seas. Doesn't matter where the anchor attachment point is.

So, to my thinking, the answer is who knows? It could improve the situation or make it much worse very quickly. If a good mariner with the experience had the gear aboard and the skill to use it then it may have been worth a try. But be ready to trip or abandon the sea anchor / drogue in an instant.

I doubt any here on TF would have attempted to cross that bar under those conditions. So, for us, an interesting mental exercise. The knucklehead who got caught out there? That's another story.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:22 AM   #52

City: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Sababa
Vessel Model: Maritimo 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I do lock my boat to discourage casual theft of its contents, but I don’t worry about leaving my key in the ignition because (I’ve always wondered) what are you going to do with a stolen trawler in the PNW? Sell it? To whom? Joy ride at eight knots? Chop it for parts? Where and how?

Which brings me to what this nutter was trying to accomplish. Get back to Canada without hitting a border crossing? Gunkhole his way down to Mexico in the middle of winter? Any news or theories?
Sababa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:44 AM   #53
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
Which brings me to what this nutter was trying to accomplish. Get back to Canada without hitting a border crossing? Gunkhole his way down to Mexico in the middle of winter? Any news or theories?

He is a whack job that left a dead fish on the porch of a movie house from 40 years ago... he is crazy and there is probably no sane answer to the question. The bummer is a perfectly good boat took a beating because of his actions. And, this is the biggest issue.. he put the rescue services at risk and luckily through training no one was seriously hurt. Still cost's plenty to execute a operation like this.
I sometimes wonder how the USCG rescue swimmers fit their big balls into the wetsuit!. I knew a rescue swimmer based out of Port Angeles, on a training mission they would fly out to the middle of the Straits in the middle of the night, drop the swimmer and fly back to base to simulate a refuel then go back and pick up the swimmer.

No than you very much!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:53 AM   #54
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Maybe he is at one of the homeless encampments in Portland planning his next nautical adventure.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:59 AM   #55
Guru

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: Dryade
Vessel Model: Trawler 72
One time I must

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I agree, I see tons of boats with the keys in the

Plus, with a little bit of electrical knowledge, someone could easily get a boat (especially with an outside helm) started without the keys.

let one boat in one insecure place twin Perkins 4236, very easy to start without any keys....no choice I remove the ...starter
long-cours.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:19 PM   #56
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Agree. That's why I always rig a discreet, unlabeled battery switch in the circuit for the starting batts. A knowledgeable boater with enough time would eventually figure it out, but the casual / impulsive / delusional boat thief would probably get impatient and look elsewhere for lower-hanging fruit.

For those of us with electronic engine controls, e.g. MMCs, another discreet anti-theft device is the breaker for the 12v. circuit powering the shifters and throttles.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:26 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Agree. That's why I always rig a discreet, unlabeled battery switch in the circuit for the starting batts. A knowledgeable boater with enough time would eventually figure it out, but the casual / impulsive / delusional boat thief would probably get impatient and look elsewhere for lower-hanging fruit.

For those of us with electronic engine controls, e.g. MMCs, another discreet anti-theft device is the breaker for the 12v. circuit powering the shifters and throttles.
Good point. If I were somewhere that I was really worried I could trip the (unlabeled and not in the main DC panel) ignition breakers for the engines. That would definitely slow someone down a good bit unless they were good at troubleshooting.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:45 PM   #58
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Imagine turning the ignition key and instead of engine start a loud ear splitting siren sounds off. Better than a hidden switch that is silent. I leave the keys in the ignition.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:56 PM   #59
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
There is a loud lube oil alarm on mine that goes off when key is turned. I do lock my boat and the key is not in.
In watching the vid it appears he may have not been rolled if he was able to get the bow to the swell, maybe...
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:35 PM   #60
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
From talking with folks there seems to be two schools of thought.
One school is to not use extensive locking and security measures. With battery powered tools a thief or thieves will get in. In the process destroy much of the boat to achieve entry. In the process of disabling security measures and entry you’re left with a really big bill. A real plus for metal boats is entry is usually more difficult. They usually don’t want the boat just the valuables, electronics and other things they can fence.
The other school thinks like the people running from the bear. If entry is more difficult than the next guy and alarms go off they won’t be chosen.
In the cruising community who are usually at anchor not in slips or on moorings many leave the key in and access to a helm. Their feeling is when they aren’t on the boat if it drags or starts to sink they want fellow cruisers to be able to save the boat.
Like with guns different folks different boats. Our view has been guns at home but not on the boat. We were international so guns were too much trouble. This may change. Haven’t thought it through. Locking up and to degree depending upon setting.
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote