Cape Dory Trawler Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bucktalley

Hello Friends.

I am about to buy a Cape Dory 28 Trawler. Have one in mind. The purchase necessitates transporting the boat from New England to its new home, which will be on the Chesapeake Bay.

I am weighing options, and, at this point, with my specific circumstances, land transport looks best. Water transport is an option but involves a problematic nearshore leg.

I have seen these boats on trailers, so I know it can be done. I have an adequate tow vehicle. So I am looking to buy a used trailer. Or rent one for the trip, which would be about 2 - 3 days, depending on the route and my stamina, which varies daily.

Any ideas?

I have a trailer custom built for a Nimble 29ft Wanderer, for sale (trailer for sale, not the boat). The Nimble has a deep keel, so almost any boat would fit. There is a post on this site somewhere. Trailer is in Edenton, NC.
Search this site for ‘Nimble’ and you will find my post on 7-9-2022.

Last edited:
What is the troublesome nearshore leg?

Getting a Cape Dory from the US New England area to the Chesapeake should not be an issue except in the dead of winter.

A reasonable delivery captain should be less expensive or pretty close than the cost of trailer, towing costs, and tolls.

I think it will be very difficult to find a suitable trailer to rent to transport a CD 28. If you really want your own trailer, then you can look for one for sale like the post above. But realize that a CD 28 weighs about 8,000 lbs and with typical gear and a trailer weight of 2-3,000 lbs your total tow weight will be 11-12,000 lbs. That requires at least a 3/4 ton truck to tow it.

FWIW I would be glad to help you move it on the water. I am already in NE and my wife could drive me to the boat's location. It would take 4 days to get to Annapolis from Newport, RI and I could take the train back from there to near my home in Connecticut.

But the time is getting short. I wouldn't try that trip after mid October. The problematic leg around NJ offshore would result in a narrowing weather window by then. They hold the Annapolis power boat show in early October for that reason. Even leaving in early October probably means staying at a marina for power and using a couple of portable heaters to stay warm at night rather than anchoring out.

BTW, I owned a CD 28 some years ago. Is yours the 100 hp Westerbeke, the 200 hp Volvo diesel, the 275 hp Chrysler Gasser or has it been repowered maybe with the Yanmer 240 hp diesel. All but the first engine allows you to travel at 15 kts or so. The 100 hp Westerbeke, only 7-8 kts which would make it a longer trip.

PM me with your phone number if you are interested. I am glad to help for expenses only. If you have the time, it will be much cheaper than land transport unless you have your own truck and trailer by then.

David

Last edited:
What is the troublesome nearshore leg?

Getting a Cape Dory from the US New England area to the Chesapeake should not be an issue except in the dead of winter.

A reasonable delivery captain should be less expensive or pretty close than the cost of trailer, towing costs, and tolls.

Depends how far north in New England. I recently brought a sailboat from Newport RI to Virginia Beach, even with a very modest fee the total was close to $3k. Especially with diesel at $6 a gallon. Spend $5-6k on a trailer and you can keep it or sell it and get most of your money back.

I had my Ellis 28 delivered from Maine to Miami on a trailer by a professional. I regret not taking the opportunity to run it down on its own bottom.

Depends how far north in New England. I recently brought a sailboat from Newport RI to Virginia Beach, even with a very modest fee the total was close to $3k. Especially with diesel at $6 a gallon. Spend $5-6k on a trailer and you can keep it or sell it and get most of your money back.

True, reselling the trailer could recoup a lot.... I was thinking up from costs.

Then again, there is some costs to trailering also.

I refuse to make that drive anymore in a car, let alone towing a pretty good sized, weighty boat.... scarier that taking the boat through a hurricane. :eek:

If you trailer it, dont forget to figure in the cost of removing then reinstalling the flybridge. I wouldnt do that trip with the flybridge on.

There are also smaller truckers who have adjustable bunk trailers. Google search works, but if there are boat dealerships in your area, you may want to ask if they have thoughts on local trucking companies. Might be the path of least resistance and fairly affordable.

Peter

You better find out if your CD has a cored hull. If so, an improper trailer can do severe hull damage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom