Old 01-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Capcha on TF????

Just had a capcha to sign in to TF, and sure hope that's NOT the norm, now.

I absolutely HATE those things... and often you can't see the object to select it so it take a few times to get it to work. The serve absolutely NO good purpose but to piss people off..... to the point that they will go elsewhere.

What gives?
Old 01-05-2021, 07:59 AM   #2

City: Med
Has happened to me also a number of times recently, before I could upload a post

woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #3
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
You mean "Captcha" instead of Capcha?? What is it anyway?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
You mean "Captcha" instead of Capcha?? What is it anyway?

Yes, captcha.... still bad.....
A means of being sure you're human. There are MUCH faster and easier ways, and why would this be necessary if one it signed in? Heck, even signing in is a waste of time.... who cares?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 3.42.05 PM.pdf (749.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. Just to put your mind at rest. There are NO bicycles in ANY of those pictures.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. S. Just to put your mind at rest. There are NO bicycles in ANY of those pictures.

Mr. RT.... in that case we just can't sign off TF, we'll never get back on.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Bicycles, boats....same set of pics to squint at. Pics the size of a cat`s behind. Maybe add some "spot the cat" cat pics? (No, not a cat named "Spot".)
Mine seem to have subsided, they were not at logon, but intermittent, unexpected, often sending a PM.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
I find i am getting them more when i am behind a VPN located in another country. I think everyone is getting a little weary of hackers. If they are not trying to steal or extort they just try to destroy websites. Its becoming a new world.That's one of the reasons i bought a boat.
magna 6882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:50 PM   #9

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
I don't seem to have them. Maybe its only the Mainship guys?
"Satisfaction"
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:10 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Just had a capcha to sign in to TF, and sure hope that's NOT the norm, now.
I absolutely HATE those things... and often you can't see the object to select it so it take a few times to get it to work. The serve absolutely NO good purpose but to piss people off..... to the point that they will go elsewhere.
What gives?
You're right Seevee. We all hate them. I'm not sure why they have started popping up. I've only encountered it once, and that was after I mucked up my log-in changing computers to a new one, and had to do the old 'forgot my password' thing. The computer now 'remembers' my log-in for TF again, so has not happened since. We are looking into it however, as several regulars have experienced this out of the blue. But you're right. If they became a regular fixture folk would leave the forum, they are that annoying.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Is there a chance that you're travelling, or have changed your IP address? Such as using a different device or are on a different network?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #12
Enigma

Old 01-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #13
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I never have to sign in, and never a captcha. Off course I never actually sign off. Funny that captcha is really a robot verifying that we are not robots!
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Olypen
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
We do have a captcha that fires under some conditions, usually when an overseas IP address is detected. A VPN may have an overseas IP address and some of them change with each use. Frankly we have a LOT of spammers who try to register and we need all the tools we can muster to keep the board free of flotsam and jetsam.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #15
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
2021 - Welcome to the "Twilight Zone!"
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I delete my cookies and history every day and although I have to sign in, the iPad does it for me so it's not so onerous but it's my small attempt to cock a snook at those damn trackers and ads and all the spam that follows the cookies. I don't give a damn if some marketer thinks I need something. I also use DuckDuckGo to be rude to Google. No Facebook, no Twitter no Instagram no... you get the idea. But I totally agree Captcha is demonic and enough to make me go elsewhere.

Open up your browser after a clean out and just clicking on any site sets hundreds of cookies. Screw that. I'll have your cookies while I'm on your site, many even ask first but as soon as I'm gone, so are the cookies.

This site sets many cookies but we all recognize it as essential. The site is apparently healthy and must be making a large enough profit to continue which is a very good result. It's kind of a strange attitude I have as I reveal a lot about myself voluntarily in my posts etc. but it annoys me when it's done surreptitiously. Sending my crap to Google for money? That side of the use contract we make by signing on I believe goes too far. This comment is not singling out this site alone but I believe there will be a backlash and most sites will have to change their revenue models.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We do have a captcha that fires under some conditions, usually when an overseas IP address is detected. A VPN may have an overseas IP address and some of them change with each use. Frankly we have a LOT of spammers who try to register and we need all the tools we can muster to keep the board free of flotsam and jetsam.

Janet,

So, let me ask the question.... what the heck does the captcha do that a sign in won't? Both require a human, or if absolutely needed, a much easier way, like a simple math problem. The captcha thing drives people away.

And this is not FT specific, there's lot of sites that do this.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #18
Enigma

Greetings,
I don't seem to ever log off either and I'm not using and "overseas" address unless Canada is considered overseas. About 50% of the time I have to click to log in and about 10% of the time I have to find the bicycles/boats/bratwurst (captcha) to post anything. Doesn't really bother me as I don't have anything better to do with my time.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Olypen
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Janet,

So, let me ask the question.... what the heck does the captcha do that a sign in won't? Both require a human, or if absolutely needed, a much easier way, like a simple math problem. The captcha thing drives people away.

And this is not FT specific, there's lot of sites that do this.
Most forum spam is served up by bots (machine learning scripts) - not real people. The bots can't navigate the captcha. Bots can both register and then post if they can get logged in.

Clever spammers use real people to register but then use a bot sometime after registration to post and launch a spam deluge. The large majority of these are located overseas. We have dozens of these registrations every month.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:05 PM   #20
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
So, change the way revenue is generated. A mere click on an ad shouldn't earn any revenue for anybody. Stupid model.

I think hackers and spammers should be shot. If they also cause somebody a monetary loss, like Nigerian bankers or similar, shooting is too good for them. There has to be a big enough downside to getting involved in this kind of activity.

I'm just grumpy because I was promised a vaccine on Monday but the idiots (not at all useful) couldn't organize a popsicle stand. Welcome to Canada.

I'm going to check the boat.