Cant find Hull ID number

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomkoncius

Vessel Name
Independence 2
Vessel Make
Litton Trawler
Hello, I have purchased a 1981 Litton Trawler which has no Hull ID number on the hull. The paperwork has an 11 digit number however it should have a 12 digit number. The boat was purchased in CT privately where is was able to be registered with an 11 digit number. Mass will not let me register it with out a 12 digit number. Any ideas? Boat was once documented however, I cant find those number either?

Hull numbers are often found on the stern, starboard side, just above waterline.

My boat is believed to have no manufacturer designated hull ID. At some point, one was needed. The state of Florida issue one. There is a federal law that let's states issue HIDs to vessels without them. So, once Florida did that, it became federally recognized just like the manufacturer did it.

I had never heard if it before, so I researched it all the way to dirty and checked every dotted I and crossed t. There was some process that involved someone actually coming out to the boat to verify the placement of the permanent marking with the number. But, I don't remember the details, as a PO didn't, I just read about it.

I suggest reaching out to the DMV or whatever entity in your state can issue VINs.

When I say that my vessel is "believed to have no HID", what I mean is that I suspect one was stamped on the fiberglass transom by the manufacturer-- shortly before the decorative wood was permanently applied over it. But, this is just me guessing. The fact is, I chased down every page of paper down to the manufacturer certificate and none had a HID until Florida issued one.

The reason one was needed is that an owner wanted to take it out of documentation and FL title it. That required an HID, not just the document number.

Hello, I have purchased a 1981 Litton Trawler which has no Hull ID number on the hull. The paperwork has an 11 digit number however it should have a 12 digit number. The boat was purchased in CT privately where is was able to be registered with an 11 digit number. Mass will not let me register it with out a 12 digit number. Any ideas? Boat was once documented however, I cant find those number either?

You just need to find the right person in Mass to assist you, a person knowledgeable of no hull ID situations. Having an 11 digit number when 12 is needed is not unusual and they have methods of assisting you. Every state slightly different. May mean adding a digit, may mean entirely new number. Either way you'll have to permanently affix it. Your situation is not new or unique with older boats, so just keep elevating it within the state until you reach the right person.

When my boat was built in Canada back in 1985, she wasn't required to have one, so she was launched without it. It wasn't an issue for either of the previous owners, but it became an issue for me when I wanted to finance the boat. I was able to find the agency in New York State that would issue me a new HIN, but they refused to do so until I owned the boat. That was a problem because I couldn't own the boat until the bank gave me moneys, and the bank wouldn't give me any moneys until there was a HIN on the boat.

Something had to give, or the deal was going to fall through. The state absolutely refused to budge, so I begged and pleaded with the bank. I promised them that I had every intention of putting the stupid number on the boat, that I'd already filled out the paperwork and bought the stamps to do it, and invited them to send someone over to hold me at gunpoint until I did.

They caved, I got the number, hammered it into the transom, had the local sheriff and his gun come out to look at it, and that's when Bob became my uncle.

That Bob! Quite a guy, isn't he?

thanks for the help

Thanks for the help. Mass is really hard on this issue and there is no ID number on the boat or previous documentation number which has been cancelled.

You might try this, my apologies if you already have and that's who will not help you.

A: Boats built prior to 1972 or any vessel that does not have a 12 character hull identification number (HIN) must have the state issue one. Boat inspections are performed by the Massachusetts Environmental Police. Call 1-800-632-8075 to arrange an inspection. The inspecting officer will provide the customer with an inspection certificate that must be presented when registering the vessel. At the time of registration, your boat will be assigned a HIN (Hull Identification Number). You will be given instructions on how to place this HIN on your boat. You must provide proof, to the registration office, of the HIN placement on your boat before you will receive your registration card and decal.

Thanks for that. I have already been down that road. Boat was built in 1981 and has no markings on the boat. It had previously been documented and I cant find that number either.

My N46 1989, had 2 different HIN. WE, the bank and insurance company agreed on the one on the bronze thingie, glued to the transom, Stbd side just below the rail cap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom