Canada to U.S. boarder crossings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An article on our CBC news is saying you can get into the states, but not by car. Some Canadian family types who have family in the US have said they have been told by American border officials that to fly into the States is okay but not by car. This ruling would also be true in the reverse, Americans into Canada. So you could take an aircraft from Bellingham into BC wherever they land and you'd be okay, ditto SeaTac.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-travel-restrictions-covid-19-land-border-fly-1.5607741

The reciprocal is not true. In the link you cited says explicitly:

The permission to fly isn't reciprocal: Canada prohibits U.S. visitors from entering the country via all modes of transport — including by plane.

Unfortunately, except for newly-exempted, immediate family members, the border is closed to American citizens.

It’s going to be updated officially June 21 but it’s interesting that my friend is in the middle of his passage with no issues transiting the water and that multiple agents at the border I’ve spoken with about concerns for our voyage have expressed that we can go through as well.

Canadian Border Services Agency:
1 (888) 226-7277

An article on our CBC news is saying you can get into the states, but not by car. Some Canadian family types who have family in the US have said they have been told by American border officials that to fly into the States is okay but not by car. This ruling would also be true in the reverse, Americans into Canada. So you could take an aircraft from Bellingham into BC wherever they land and you'd be okay, ditto SeaTac.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-travel-restrictions-covid-19-land-border-fly-1.5607741

Interesting article, but doesn't say the reverse would be true.

Indeed, entry to Canada through Alberta will be easier than through BC, as BC has a 14 day quarantine for returning residents and has banned all non-essential entries of others and Alberta has not.

There has also been the CTV news report of American tourists eating at a restaurant in Banff, telling their waiter they utilized the "We are driving to Alaska" loophole to enter Canada. Driving to Alaska requires driving through Yukon Territory, which is presently Closed to all non-residents.
Somebody should tell our Canadian Border guys.

Last edited:
We have been out on our boat for the past week. We couldn’t help noting with sympathy, how many American boats are tied up & stuck in our home marina at VanIsle in Sidney.

We were anchored in a tiny out of the way cove at the North end of Valdes Island (Wakes Cove) on Tuesday, when an Alaska registered 36’ powerboat came rocketing through Gabriola Passage (running 8 knots on the ebb) out from what had to be a very rough Georgia Strait. (It was blowing 20-30 Kts out of the SE.)

They anchored in a smaller cove next to us. Two hours later after they dropped the hook, the RCMP showed up spending at least an hour on the boat with the 3 people on board. We noted that no one was wearing masks during their ‘meeting’.

Eventually the RCMP left for 30 minutes, then returned to deliver official looking papers then left again. The Alaskan boat looked to be leaving but were unable to pull up their anchor by hand - it looked to be fouled & their windlass was broken. A few minutes later the RCMP returned again & spent 45 minutes helping extract the anchor & the Alaskans headed back out into the gales of Georgia Strait.

We assumed that this boat must have tried to make the run without clearing Canada customs as it was only after their encounter with RCMP that the boat was posting clearance papers on the side windows.

I wonder whether they were sent back to Washington or just forced to head out into the Strait to resume their trip North.

Interesting times these...

No crossings probability till end of july in the meantime slip fees insurance cleaning fuel polishing and licences expiring oh well Bring On Another Thousand!:)

Think of Canadians who have boats moored at Point Roberts and they live in White Rock and Surrey, and can't get to them, so close yet so far. And I do know Americans have been lobbying BC to be allowed to drive to Point Roberts and back to Washington if they promise to stay in their car while in transit. This request sounds reasonable to me, but you just know some bozo and family will decide they can stop at some restaurant in BC before they cross the border, or go shopping etc. Sadly the rules are really in place because of those who feel for whatever reason they don't need to comply.

If I were a Washingtonian with a boat in Point Roberts, I'd get a trailered "run about" beater to access the Point without going through BC. I'd either leave from Blaine or Birch Bay.

The reciprocal is not true. In the link you cited says explicitly:

The permission to fly isn't reciprocal: Canada prohibits U.S. visitors from entering the country via all modes of transport — including by plane.

Unfortunately, except for newly-exempted, immediate family members, the border is closed to American citizens.

Hey, it’s black fly season up there. Good time not to visit Canada. :D

My captain friend just reported back and has safely made it through Canada- no problems- Seattle to Ketchikan - 6 days on his private vessel he just bought in Seattle. Transited Canadian waters no problems. So waters must be open ����

As someone who lives in Tsawwassen with a boat in Point Roberts, (5 minutes from our house) I can tell you that both sides of the border are CLOSED to non essential travel. "Going to check on my boat" is not essential in the eyes of the US CPB . Even seasonal property owners are turned back.

Several Canadian boat owners have tried to get to the marina and it's a "hard no" at the US Border.

However, from what I hear there are a few enterprising individuals making cash money taking your boat off the dock and clearing into Canada for a fee.
They clear the boat into Canada and after that you simply step on and away you go!

Well over 100 boats have left Point Roberts since just before (and after) the border closed. Who knows what this will do to the marina. It was less than 50% full before all this started.

I feel for the people who live and work in Point Roberts!

My captain friend just reported back and has safely made it through Canada- no problems- Seattle to Ketchikan - 6 days on his private vessel he just bought in Seattle. Transited Canadian waters no problems. So waters must be open
The waters have never been "closed." You just needed to have good reason to transit and what you friend did was deemed acceptable to CBSA.

essential travel??
.... My wife's going to get pregnant and I want to be there when it happens.

So people lie. Are you surprised?
The customs' folks can only ask the proper questions. If they are lied to, what can the customs' folks do? No one follows the car. I guess RCMP can gather up a caravan of cars, one official car leading and one trailing? Non-stop. Everyone fuels up at the same time. No stopping for food or sleep. That should discourage the liars.

How can folks drive the US to Alaska without stopping for gas and food and rest?
It would be easier to go from Washington to Alaska by boat. Might have to stop once for fuel. Running 24hrs a day and changing off the helmsman while underway. You are taking your chances by anchoring.

Was told June 21st maybe

Tekdiver,

I like your optimism as I had planned on being in Desolation Sound this summer. However, with infections on the rise and the possibility that even if it does re-open, will there be a quarantine period? This certainly has me thinking of a Plan B.

Fingers crossed I am wrong....

Greetings,
Just wondering if you would have to fly the "Q" quarantine flag?

iu

If the border opens, I would guess, Yes to the Q flag.
If so, that would add potential issues like a lot of vegetables are not allowed to cross the borders, under Q could not go to store, etc. for 14 days.
Who knows what will be decided???

Tekdiver,

I like your optimism as I had planned on being in Desolation Sound this summer. However, with infections on the rise and the possibility that even if it does re-open, will there be a quarantine period? This certainly has me thinking of a Plan B.

Fingers crossed I am wrong....

Yes we decided we will stay in Lower Sound and explore the Washington waters this year fish where I can

I’m not a Public Health expert but I think it is quite unlikely that the border will be opened to recreational travel anytime soon given the still much higher incidence of COVID in USA / Washington State as compared to BC.

-evan

Greetings,
Just wondering if you would have to fly the "Q" quarantine flag?

iu

Doesn't matter which foreign waters you enter, if you intend to land, up goes the flag until you clear custom. I suspect, in the Great Lakes, it is not enforced.... There are many places that are so narrow, Detroit River or Lake St Clair.... you can wander across the "line" easily.

Dan,
Here on the BC/Wash. border, I don't remember ever seeing the Q flag up on a recreational boat. Now, it should be, I am sure, but I just haven't seen it, including me. I am aware of it, but also, I have never been asked about it either. This, like many things lately, may change, so everyone should be aware.

I don't have a desire traveling to foreign places where I'm unwelcome due to fear of disease, race, religion, or whatever. But do resent un-infected travel restrictions within my country.

Last edited:
Dan,
Here on the BC/Wash. border, I don't remember ever seeing the Q flag up on a recreational boat. Now, it should be, I am sure, but I just haven't seen it, including me. I am aware of it, but also, I have never been asked about it either. This, like many things lately, may change, so everyone should be aware.

I have a Q flag and it is brand new, never used. LOL
I have one because I think boaters are expected to have one.
Yup, cant tell but if things get worse, we might be required to check into the police station if we 'land' in another state. :D I wonder if my driver's license will do or must I show them my passport?
OR
Around the marina, the dock walker and wandering condo folks and if I get that Crap-19, I should hoist the Q flag. Oh wait, people would come by and ask, "What's with the yellow flag?" I'd tell them, "I have Crap-19 and wanted to warn you away." I'm sure that would brighten their day.

Last edited:
We have a daughter and near one year old granddaughter in Nanaimo and my wife will likely suffer the quarantine to visit them soon, I will not. Isnt much for me to do up there even if I can go where I please.

potential issues like a lot of vegetables are not allowed to cross the borders,

Come on now, as Canadians we can politer than that.

Back
Top Bottom