Canada opens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4fun1

Vessel Name
No Worries
Vessel Make
Beneteau ST44
Just saw on an NBC news article that Canada will be opening up the borders to vaccinated Americans on Aug 9.

It seems to not apply to entry by boat, only land. Struggling to find more clarification, can anyone point to specific rules for boaters?

I haven't found or seen a detailed solution path for marine entry yet.

From arriveCAN site:

"ArriveCAN isn't mandatory if you're travelling to Canada by marine vessel. However, you're strongly encouraged to submit your travel information through ArriveCAN. This will speed up processing at the border and limit points of contact.

Show your ArriveCAN receipt to the Canada border services officer upon arrival.

Travellers entering Canada by marine vessel won’t be able to upload their proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN at this time."

I think some of the procedure for marine entry is still being hashed out.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...oronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html#a0

So yeah, if I go to the dock at Sydney I assume there will be some processing involved, more than just a phone call for an entry number to post on my window.

Last edited:
Before American folks get too excited. I just saw a news article that says indeed Canada has approved it, but American authorities haven't. Until approval from the American side happens, the border will still be closed.

Before American folks get too excited. I just saw a news article that says indeed Canada has approved it, but American authorities haven't. Until approval from the American side happens, the border will still be closed.

…to Canadians. I don’t think they’re going to not allow vaxxed Americans back into US :)

About ArriveCAN:

I drove into Canada from WA state today and forget to use the ArriveCAN app. The border official told me that without that being done, I would have to quarantine, but she kindly pointed me towards the u-turn. I went back through US customs, filled in my arrival info and passed through the Canadian border with just another Covid test there at the border (plus I had to enter with a negative test no more than 72 hours prior).

When I first entered Canada in June by boat, I also had to have my arrival information pre-entered in ArriveCAN.

It’s literally takes just minutes to use the app. I would strongly suggest it for any boaters planning to enter BC once the border is open.

Note: I am a US citizen with a temporary Canadian work permit.

I just read through the information on the ArriveCAN website. It still shows that non-essential travel isn't allowed for foreign nationals. That won't change until the policy change is made official. I still says that folks that are arriving by boat aren't able to upload their vaccine information to the app. I find that odd but my guess is that the marine entry points may not have the same access to the ArriveCAN database than regular points of entry have?

Even so, it looks like a decent system that likely will be improved upon. I certainly hope that the policy does indeed change and I can head to BC in late August.

Back
Top Bottom