Old 08-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Warning

Wifey B: Don't ever do a long term slip lease without taking your boat into and out of the slip. I knew one guy who got a slip that was nearly impossible for his boat so he let the trouble deter him from using the boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #22

City: Green Cove Springs,FL
Vessel Name: No Destination
Vessel Model: 1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
I got 2 engine and scare shi... when docking in windy day.
nodestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
No wind, no current, no drama. Anything else is a coin toss. If I don't like the looks of the approach I go around. As many times as necessary. A slightly bent stanchion stands as a reminder to stay ahead of the boat and keep it under control. And I don't go out if the wind is over 20kn. 15 is a maybe depending upon direction.

My slip is oriented southerly so in the typical westerly wind I don't have much time to get from the lower helm over the side onto the dock.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #24

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
I usually single hand single engine no thruster. I ask guests to remain seated till docking is done. Hints secrets.... hire a pro for an afternoon to help you learn, practice, and practice some more. Stay calm, no yelling and Never blame you partner. Go as slow as you want to hit something.... remember neutral is a gear. I alway ask for an easy transient slip and have refused a dock if the conditions "looked" risky. lol take a mooring, Anchor or keep going to I find a safe solution.
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #25
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Red Stripe
Vessel Model: Monaco Cayman 35' diesel pusher
Nope. Too long to get from the upper helm to the transom where the lines are.
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Nope. Too long to get from the upper helm to the transom where the lines are.
Boats without accessible lower helms really are at a disadvantage. If I owned one, I'd definitely consider adding helm stations on the side and aft or wireless like Yacht Controller.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #27
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Is it even possible? My boat is a 31' Mainship Sedan Bridge. When it's windy, it might as well be a sailboat. Throw in a current and it's a challenge.

Do any of you do it? If so, what are your techniques?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I can, usually. And sometimes, I can't.

Almost all the time at our home slip, long as both engines are working. Sometimes in our home slip on one engine, depends on which one.

Usually, at a destination marina; usually depends on piles vs. cleats on floating docks, latter depends on how the tides/current/winds are cooperating.

No matter what, it all takes planning, and then practice...

I meant to add we addressed some of this issue during our shopping phase. IOW, we selected the boat with better attributes for potential single handing in mind...

Not everyone can do that, of course, so sometimes adapting to the "one ya brung" is about the best one can do.

As to technque... for destination marinas... best I can offer is plan first, layout lines in advance to fit the plan... fender up... review the plan... work the plan... unless it's not working, in which case back out and re-plan.

-Chris
Old 08-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #28

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Yes, Get your lines ready prior to getting to slip. Use your pylons tand rubrail to pivot off if needed. Once you get a routine down it really doesnt matter what slip you are pulling into. Some are easier than others. Also learn to read the wind and current. They are major factors in any docking situation.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #29
Guru

City: Anacortes
Yes, I'm just over 50 loa. You just need 3 things. Preparation, confidence and humility.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #30
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Boats without accessible lower helms really are at a disadvantage. If I owned one, I'd definitely consider adding helm stations on the side and aft or wireless like Yacht Controller.

I have learned to handle my boat pretty well, even single handed. However, I would LOVE a wireless controller! I just can't justify the very large cost. It would make it very easy.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have learned to handle my boat pretty well, even single handed. However, I would LOVE a wireless controller! I just can't justify the very large cost. It would make it very easy.
I predict you'll buy one, probably in 4 to 7 years from today. The price will be much less than it is today as the market will be more competitive.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #32
Guru

City: South Florida
Yes

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #33
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Does anyone have experience with Yacht Controller? My problem is visibility even with cameras.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #34
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Yes, when I was younger. From the lower station, I would have everything setup outside the breakwater, fenders down, etc. Come into my slip with slight bow in angle to the dock, Starboard into neutral and Port reverse to a stop, would put the boat against the dock. Then slip over the handrail and drop to the dock. Spring line two wraps on cleat and walk the stern line back to it's cleat, Voila! Sadly, not something I would do routinely anymore.

But I digress, talking preparation, yesterday at my marina, watched this 42' Sea Ray Sundancer guest boat come into the marina, 2 men seated at the helm. He found his pier and slip, stopped the boat and used the engine to smartly turn the boat and backed neatly into the slip. Only problem, no fenders or lines were tied to his cleats, except the bowline which was hanging in the water. Watching the scramble to dig out fenders and lines was. . . humerus?

From their lack of preparation, I'm guessing the lines and fenders are attached to their home dock.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Does anyone have experience with Yacht Controller? My problem is visibility even with cameras.
Wifey B: Me, me, me. Raising hand. On our loop boat. It's really helpful. We'd been spoiled with stations with controls on different areas of the boat and so we had it installed. It's really great. Do I like it better than wired controls at different locations? Not really. No more, no less. It's just a lot easier to install on an existing boat and we've had no issues with using it wireless.

One thing. Sounds great to just walk around with it and may be being used to fixed stations, but I've found it's easier for me when I do set it down on a surface rather than holding it in my hand. May just be me though. Younger girl use to video games uses it without setting it down.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #36
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
I believe there are a couple that do. Hopefully they will chime in. I have the same problem with visibility astern.

BandB, I think you may be right. As the number of units being installed goes up, the price should go down. Not something I would want to install as a DIY.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #37
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
WifeyB

One f the boat we are considering has it installed, the other doesn't but I saw a guy in Eleuthera use one when leaving the dock behind my boat. When he started up I asked if he wanted any help as it was tight. He said no and proceeded to move his boat out from being closed in by three boats. I was impressed.

I would certainly consider installing one.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #38
Guru

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47 Sundeck
Here's the current I have been dealing with....

https://youtu.be/yDxnvvnc4Xk

Thanks for all the responses. I was just trying to get an idea of what was the norm.

So far I've leaned how to dock in fairly strong currents and winds. I've been really careful about what times we go and so far we haven't scared ourselves too bad. I have had to abandon a slip in Charleston after 3 attempts and take an easier one. The current and wind was pushing us away from the dock and I wasn't good enough to get it in close enough for the dock hand to help.

So I've noticed a stange behavior with the boat when backing. Right now we enter the marina nose in, stop, rotate 180 degrees, then back in. Usually the current is against us, and strong enough that idle reverse isn't enough. I need about 1000 RPM to make an progress. So I've got it lined up, light wind, current parellel to the slip. Then all of a sudden the bow takes off to the left of right with enough speed that I neutral on one engine isn't enough. I need forward, which stops my progress. Once I get the bow back in position, both engines back to reverse, then bump the throttles up again. Start making process then it happens again, sometimes to the same side, sometimes to the other side.

So it's been a timing thing. I do this until I get close enough to the slip to commit and back in.

I can't figure out if it's just the way the wind happens to blow or the current or if it's just a characteristic of the boat.

I really enjoy the challenge of docking though.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #39
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Looks like my marina...but hard to tell for sure...

Too many variables for internet advice, if coming and going regularly in that much current, you need a pro instructor.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #40
Guru

City: South Florida
There are times when I have abandoned backing in and drove her in bow first, and turned her around when conditions permit. Better too careful than not careful enough

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote