Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I hate my boat (and you likely will too), but want you to know I'm too old to enjoy it.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. too. I think there's something I'm missing here. "Why are you selling" is a very common question to ask. Boats, cars, horses, pianos, gold coins, beanie babies or grandmaw's spare set of false teeth. YOU are looking to buy so you want the item, so why doesn't the seller want it any more. Are they crazy? How come THEY don't want this incredible item? Who cares?

I think that ALL the former sailors on this site, when asked why they were selling their sail boats to buy trawlers were forthcoming with their respective reasons. I'm sure a percentage moved to power for health reasons.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #23
Guru

City: Boston Area
"why are you selling" is a very valid question. The buyer is consdiering a boat but knows very little about it. The seller knows a lot about it and itsa good way to learn about something you are about to spend a bunch of money on. If you're looking for a boat because you love to cruise and fish....and the seller says "I'm selling because I can't fish off this boat".....that saves you from making the same mistake he did.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #24
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Boku
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
"why are you selling" is a very valid question. The buyer is consdiering a boat but knows very little about it. The seller knows a lot about it and itsa good way to learn about something you are about to spend a bunch of money on. If you're looking for a boat because you love to cruise and fish....and the seller says "I'm selling because I can't fish off this boat".....that saves you from making the same mistake he did.
I think the reason a person is selling is subjective. One person who thinks they can't fish off a particular boat, may not be what another person thinks.

I don't consider my boat a fishing boat, but there's plenty of deck space to fish from off the stern.
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #25
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
When I am looking for a boat, I couldn’t care less why they are selling it. We are on our 23rd boat, probably our last, and when someone asks me why I am selling a boat, I tell them because I want a different boat. I don’t ask why someone is selling a boat I am interested in because I figure that it is my responsibility to check the potential new boat out. Besides most people are going to lie if there is something wrong with the boat. And if there is something wrong with it and I didn’t do my due diligence, then my bad.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:05 AM   #26

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Northern Sky
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
9 out of 10 was perhaps a slight exaggeration, but I guess its just one of those pet peeves of mine. I can't stand it when brokers/sellers use "health issues" as a guilt-sell technique.
The idea that it is a “guilt-sell” technique is your own. At best, you are reading too much into it. I have bought and sold a few boats and never considered that the health issue was anything other than explaining why someone would sell a boat that they liked. I certainly don’t feel any sense of guilt to pursue or buy a boat with that note. Its also a fact that health becomes an issue later in life, when more people have the time and money to own a boat.
guy with a boat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:17 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
The idea that it is a “guilt-sell” technique is your own. At best, you are reading too much into it.

Perhaps.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2018, 01:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Ashland City, TN
Vessel Name: Tinker Belle
Vessel Model: 1973 Gulfstar 43 Trawler
Maybe people say they are selling because of health problems are having health problems and they don't want to deal with a boat while dealing with health issues. Heart issues, stroke, and cancer come suddenly and change your world in a moment. A Seller who is selling because of health issues may be dealing with his (her) mortality and are expressing their sadness at having to move from an area of life that gives them great pleasure. No guilt needed or intended. Maybe?
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:08 AM   #29
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
9 out of 10 was perhaps a slight exaggeration, but I guess its just one of those pet peeves of mine. I can't stand it when brokers/sellers use "health issues" as a guilt-sell technique.

Seems to me they are just being proactive on the “why are you selling question”. I think there are a lot of folks that sell because of health issue. I sold my sailboat, in large part, because of chronic back pain. I would enjoy a weekend on the boat, but would be in pain for the week following. I can imagine lots of others in the same boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:26 AM   #30
FF
Guru

One issue that can not be avoided is aging.

The solution is a very simple boat that does not require months of work every year..

The "comforts " lost from not having stuff is made up by the ability to enjoy the vessel.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
When we sold our last boat it was because "Owner moving up in size, owns two boats". When we sell the current boat it will be "owner moving up in size". The next boat might be "Moving up" OR "dowsizing". I can assure you the last boat will be "owner too old" OR "Widow moving back to land".

We will own boats until we cannot safely handle them, or mobility becomes an issue. I seriously doubt we'll spend the last years tied to the dock.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:

Health issues....
https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d...618452768.html

Health issues...
1973 Gulfstar 36 Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Health issues...
1979 Marine Trader Double Cabin 40 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
9 out of 10 was a gross exaggeration. Furthermore "health issues" isn't a guilt sale technique, it's a legitimate answer to why are the owners selling which is a question I would always want answered.

Reasons are
-Health
-Finances
-Trade up
-Wrong boat
and
-This boat is a real dog.

Real dog isn't going to be disclosed.

We've also discussed this previously on TF and the overwhelming reason most TF'ers will get out of boating at some time is health.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #33

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Adios Dinero
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3988 2 x 330 Cummins
A friend on the Bayliner Forum listed his 1996 one owner since new 4788 in February due to health issues.
He passed a few days ago.
Let's not get too crazy about these issues, sometimes they are painfully real.
The Other Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #34

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
I don't get why anyone would mention why they are selling or why anyone would ask.

As if people don't lie or as if it matters to begin with.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #35

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
I sold my skiff a few weeks ago .every one asked why are you selling .and I answered honestly . we don't use it .its 6 years old with 100 hours on it.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:01 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Gary View Post
A friend on the Bayliner Forum listed his 1996 one owner since new 4788 in February due to health issues.
He passed a few days ago.
Let's not get too crazy about these issues, sometimes they are painfully real.
While I’m sorry he passed, there’s nothing I could have done about it, nor did I know him. Death is inevitable, and I’ll be there one day too. But what bearing does that have on the sale of his boat? If anything it’s kinda creepy especially if he died ON the boat. The broker stating “owner passed away” isn’t going to make me want to buy a Bayliner any more than if he didn’t state it.

Maybe I’m just insensitive to the matter because of my profession. I deal with death and tragedy 40 hours a week.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:18 AM   #37
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
"Health issues" was the reason I was given. I think that was partly true, as the owner was in his seventies. He didn't want to say "because it has a 30 year old raw water cooled Volvo". Whatever. You just take in what you see and what you hear and make up your own mind.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #38

City: Newnan
Perhaps they mean the owner is a serious seller and wants it gone. Make an offer. Sometimes people like to waste your time. The older you get, the less you want to waste time.
Orvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #39

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Im selling because ive boated for over 45+ years and lived aboard in the keys for 6 years and am done with crusing. Want to do the R V thing while I can before I have to SELL FOR HEALTH REASONS .... Live for today and turn the page for tomorrow..
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #40

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
My 2 cents...

I have an acquaintance that sold his old boat to a well known member of this forum. His reasoning was in fact due to health issues. He didn't want to leave his wife with a boat to sell if he didn't make it through the medical issue.

He has since been cleared and recently bought a new boat.

I personally just sold a boat using the "I never use it" line. I in fact, last used the 23' boat that I sold in September of 2017. I priced it right and sold it 3 days after I listed it. The buyer saw that I wasn't trying to BS him and that I truly wanted to pass the boat along to somebody who would use it.

k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote