Can I get back in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Sea Fever
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
So we are just two weeks from leaving to go to BC for the summer. Now I have some concern I may not be able to get back if the borders are closed. I guess that would not be the end of the world, there is nothing we need to be back for.

What do you guys think? Anybody else have concerns?

Planning to cross Lake Ontario to Kingston and up the Rideau 2nd week of June. Getting nervous. Will have to make a decision soon.

Ted

Planning to cross Lake Ontario to Kingston and up the Rideau 2nd week of June. Getting nervous. Will have to make a decision soon.

Ted
Don't be nervous, even if you cannot go back you will enjoy your stay up here, that's guaranteed!

L

Yes, having some concerns of the same nature, leaving for SE AK. Getting on the boat, we're in quarantine and maybe safe. But if we have the bug at the outset, screwed. And crossing international borders presents another big problem. Still chewing on this.

My take is that Covid-19 is coming to a place near all of us within the next few months. The obvious precautions - social distancing, frequent hand washing - may not prevent contracting it. Then it is a case of how bad is it in your case? The problem is, if you do get it then it is likely in an infection hotspot that popped up. Then you need to self isolate and not travel.

If your symptoms are bad you may need medical care, or even a ventilator. Now Canada probably wont discriminate against aliens (you will be one in their country) but medical facilities in this scenario will be stretched, and triage requirements may see you down the queue, or miss out, on the degree of medical care that's optimal for you.

Some of these things could unfold in your home country as well, but I'd rather be at home than in another country if an indefinite ban on travelling even if not infected is put in place. And if infected, you ain't going nowhere if the medicos are on the ball, and my guess is that is going to be strongly enforced.

In some respects you are better placed than someone visiting the USA. A modest period of medical care in the USA will bankrupt most people. I doubt travel insurance to cover covid-19 is possible anymore, and even if it were there would be total $ limits. I will not be visiting the USA for any reason for the foreseeable future. I probably would not contract the virus there, but might get it on the 14 hour flight to get there. I could not afford medical care in the USA.

Tom Hanks and his wife now have covid-19, and are about an hour down the road from me. As yet it is not clear where they were infected. He will have to sty for a while, in isolation, but no doubt will be well looked after and be able to pay whatever it costs. A lot less than in the USA I'm sure!

I'm not going far from home, but will still use the boat a lot. There are always things on the 'to do' list - so its an opportunity to have boat-time and get ahead (or at least catch-up) on stuff.

Last edited:
For me, It is similar. Usually invite friends and family from all over, but what limitations and fears will intervene? Stay domestic? Stay home? Sell the boat? Who would want it? Who could afford it?

Don't be nervous, even if you cannot go back you will enjoy your stay up here, that's guaranteed!

L

I have no doubt I will enjoy the trip, that's why I'm going. Problem is that my idea of winterizing a boat involves crossing the Georgia Florida border.

Ted

My son's girlfriend is supposed to be running the Boston Marathon for a second time, leaving from Victoria BC. The big question, is it still on. Realize the training involved.

So we are just two weeks from leaving to go to BC for the summer. Now I have some concern I may not be able to get back if the borders are closed. I guess that would not be the end of the world, there is nothing we need to be back for.

What do you guys think? Anybody else have concerns?

Maybe I'm being naive but I'd worry more about being able to enter Canada to start my summer cruise. After I get up there if the borders are closed and I needed medical attention I'd just come back across. There's just too much coastline for them to monitor all of it. Sure I'd be caught, maybe fined. But once in the hospital what are they gonna do?

My son's girlfriend is supposed to be running the Boston Marathon for a second time, leaving from Victoria BC. The big question, is it still on. Realize the training involved.

Wrong approach, wrong question I think. Right now anything with a large number of people scheduled a week out, or perhaps even less, can be cancelled with little notice. Olympics in Japan in July? Maybe, but not likely this July IMO. Now there's some financial and training commitment.....

I don't know why anyone would endure close proximity to a bunch of wheezing if not coughing and spluttering amateurs in a 'fun run' scenario. And if infected, you ain't going to be travelling anywhere for quite a while.

Last edited:
I am planning a short trip to Desolation Sound the first week of April and have been watching the developments for going between Canada and the U.S. I am more concerned that Canada will say no visitors from the Seattle area. Doubtful but we are the epicenter for the U.S.

Qualifying for the Boston marathon is an accomplishment in itself, cheers to her. The governor of Massachusetts declare a state of emergency there yesterday. My wife has a conference in Boston at the end of the month and we expect that to cancel.

I am planning a short trip to Desolation Sound the first week of April and have been watching the developments for going between Canada and the U.S. I am more concerned that Canada will say no visitors from the Seattle area. Doubtful but we are the epicenter for the U.S.

Qualifying for the Boston marathon is an accomplishment in itself, cheers to her. The governor of Massachusetts declare a state of emergency there yesterday. My wife has a conference in Boston at the end of the month and we expect that to cancel.

Yep, my daughter also qualified for Boston. Doubt it will be run this year. This would be her third time to run Boston. Her best time was the year of the bombing - 2:47 I believe. She’s good.

I would be concerned that the rules might change with almost no notice. The Big 10 just announced that no spectators will be able to attend the conference playoffs starting tomorrow, almost no notice at all. I am sure lots of people have travelled to Indianapolis and paid quite a bit of money and now will not be able to attend the games. I would hate to travel a long ways by boat and then have the door closed just as we got there.

My son’s company does work for a South Korean company and a couple of the executives are here now. They aren’t sure if they can get home or should even try...

Well, the insurance aspect is very interesting. It looks like my Medicare will be of no use in Canada except for a very few exceptions. Also I have seen headlines recently that some travel insurance does not cover a pandemic. We have supplemental insurance thru Humana so will need to research what that covers.

If we are way up north it could take a week to get home so what ever we catch better not be life threatening.

This seems like it could be a real "can of worms" This is what my supplemental policy says:

Emergency services worldwide

You are covered for emergency care worldwide. If you have an emergency outside of the U.S. and its territories, you will be responsible to pay for the services you receive upfront. You must submit a claim to Humana for reimbursement.

I wouldn't be going to the US. This is just starting.

Different era and different virus, but the Spanish flu's first of three waves peaked in June. Times have changed, but our biology hasn't.

This seems like it could be a real "can of worms" This is what my supplemental policy says:

Emergency services worldwide

You are covered for emergency care worldwide. If you have an emergency outside of the U.S. and its territories, you will be responsible to pay for the services you receive upfront. You must submit a claim to Humana for reimbursement.

Do they say anything about a total $ value limit? I imagine there will be one, buried deep. You might need to call Humana to get it.

Even where first world medical/hospital charges are 'reasonable' (eg Canada, Australia) it would get to be a serious chunk of change if you need to be intubated for a bit. If you need it, and get it, you will likely to be happy to pay.

Of course most everyone who cruise BC this summer will have no health issues at all. Feeling lucky? Or not? Personally I'd defer. You've got other good cruising, BC isn't going anywhere, the Greenies make sure of it!

We live in a small city sort of out in the sticks. We are deciding not to go anywhere but grocery shopping as necessary, thankfully we are retired so we don’t have to worry about work. Maybe too cautious but my mom lives with us and she will be 100 in May. We think that even being in our mid 60s that we may be ok if we would get the virus, my mom would probably not survive it. So we are shutting down our social circle.

I have several cruises planned into British Columbia. I haven’t thought about the possibility of not being able to cross the border. If I get stuck in Canada, oh no :-D

I would have to extend my cruising time, what a shame that would be!!

We live in a small city sort of out in the sticks. We are deciding not to go anywhere but grocery shopping as necessary, thankfully we are retired so we don’t have to worry about work. Maybe too cautious but my mom lives with us and she will be 100 in May. We think that even being in our mid 60s that we may be ok if we would get the virus, my mom would probably not survive it. So we are shutting down our social circle.

Good plan Dave. Fortunately these days physical isolation is no barrier at all to social media engagement.

My guess is that we won't see anything like the Spanish Flu casualties because of current knowledge of transmission mechanisms, and people & workplaces being smart about reducing exposure risk.

Dont forget to fly your quarantine flag. SMIRK

Yup big news, cruise ships with 3000 passengers and crew held off shore..... How much news do you think you would generate in your 40ft boat.... refused entry.
Not even a ripple in the pond.

Last edited:
You'll get back in if you want. Why wouldn't you? What would stop you?

For the Folks in Aus, since this virus is spreading during your warmer time of year unlike other areas, curious what your Doctors are saying about that?

Looks like it's convenient that we didn't have any plans to cross the border into Canada this year. Of course, it's not boating season yet up here, which means if we start getting told to work from home, that means actually being stuck at home instead of being able to just hop on the boat and find a nice spot to be for a while.

I think we've now hit the point where it would be good to add a dinghy to the stable so we can get the dog ashore (currently we're marina bound on any trip we bring him on). And maybe it's time to get my hands on a filter / UV sanitizer setup to be able to convert lake water to something drinkable, as the too-small (65 gallon) water tank is currently the biggest thing that limits how long we can be self sufficient. Solar would be nice too, as I've got plenty of space for it on the cabin top.

For the Folks in Aus, since this virus is spreading during your warmer time of year unlike other areas, curious what your Doctors are saying about that?

Go home, take 2 aspirin, watch your temp and breathing. If things get worse, call the hospital .... warn them you are coming in so they can get the plastic wrap ready for your arrival. :hide:
They may want to meet you in the parking lot..... You see someone approaching in a moon-suit, relax. They are there to take your vitals and then, make a decision.

The boat seems like an ideal place for "social distancing." As long as Canada will let me in, I'm not too worried about getting back to the US. Thankfully, I have no preexisting conditions and am in a low-risk age bracket. Planning on heading up to the boat tomorrow to spend a bunch of time aboard...everything in Seattle is shut down, so might as well enjoy the boat!

The boat seems like an ideal place for "social distancing." As long as Canada will let me in, I'm not too worried about getting back to the US. Thankfully, I have no preexisting conditions and am in a low-risk age bracket. Planning on heading up to the boat tomorrow to spend a bunch of time aboard...everything in Seattle is shut down, so might as well enjoy the boat!

Yup, social distance.... now, you just to survive the restocking the stores onboard.

As far as closing the US borders, good luck. We cant even close off out our southern border let alone all ports of entry.

Rumor has it, every boat, new or used or just bought, must buy and fly the quarantine (Q flag) until further notice. I just started that rumor.... LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom