Can I get back in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your problem is not getting back in. US citizens cannot be refused entry. The issue is you likely can't get in to Canada. Check with Canadian immigration first.

I work from home. My wife was laid the last week of January. We are not planning any international travel. We have stopped hand-shaking and unnecessary physical contact with anyone but absolute immediate friends and family. (that might change soon).

We're in the process of both selling our current house, buying a new house and moving 1,300 miles. We don't really have the time to go out into crowded public places.

Just a thought, you might be guilty of sharing "Too much information"!:D

I'm on completely shaky ground here, but would the Jones (?) Act keep Non-US flagged commercial vessels (cruise ships) from going from, say, Seattle to Ketchikan? Or are they mostly US-flagged? I wasn't sure if they might normally stop in Canada to get around that (maybe Prince Rupert or Victoria).

There is currently only 1 (ONE) cruise ship that flies the American Flag. America's Pride of America, ironically operated by the Norwegian Cruise Lines, is based and Hawaii and only operates in Hawaiian waters. Construction started in Mississippi, but was mostly completed in Germany, but through some legal shenanigans, it was decided that it was an American built boat, thus satisfying the Jones Act.

There is currently only 1 (ONE) cruise ship that flies the American Flag. America's Pride of America, ironically operated by the Norwegian Cruise Lines, is based and Hawaii and only operates in Hawaiian waters. Construction started in Mississippi, but was mostly completed in Germany, but through some legal shenanigans, it was decided that it was an American built boat, thus satisfying the Jones Act.

Perhaps it is where the keel was laid?

Well that alone is an incentive to cross the Columbia River bar and head to Puget Sound...
Tom, I still have that Alaska Amber if you make it up to this neighborhood. :thumb:

Transcontinental race?

My son's girlfriend is supposed to be running the Boston Marathon for a second time, leaving from Victoria BC. The big question, is it still on. Realize the training involved.

Wow! Victoria to Boston is one heck of a marathon!:D

My take is that Covid-19 is coming to a place near all of us within the next few months. The obvious precautions - social distancing, .

How many boats at Lucinda at the moment? ;)

How many boats at Lucinda at the moment? ;)

Five to S, and fifteen to N. Fairly well spread out. Nearest to me is 160m on the rangefinder, OK considering weather, and that its a weekend.

Five to S, and fifteen to N. Fairly well spread out. Nearest to me is 160m on the rangefinder, OK considering weather, and that its a weekend.
Not bad
I always figured on one in 15 having AIS so was guessing closer to 50 but I guess Lucinda is just that little bit further away from where most venture.

Stay safe, have fun.

Concern about crossing any borders in the near future is justified as we just don't know. You can't cross into Dare County, NC. I'm sure some states will say you can't enter soon, feeling they have things better under control than their neighbor. We're going to get out on the water tomorrow, take a trip to nowhere, probably cruise about 6 to 8 hours. Dock no where. Definitely not leave US waters. Even with that wouldn't be surprised to be asked as we return home. Main thing we're going to do is see how many cruise liners we can see and count in person. Not quite up to the Bay Area Bridge Tour of our Colleague here. We've just never witnessed so many anchored in one place as we'll see. Best count we could come up with was 45 between Miami, Fort Lauderdale and the Bahamas. Only one sitting at Port Everglades at the moment, Silver Wind.

I saw The World recently. Well, sort of. I was going down the river to the bay and there it was.

But with all the border closures and associated restrictions, I just don't know when I'll see The World again!
:hide:

Is it too early in all of this to plead cabin fever?

Attachments

• The World.jpg
    The World.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 21
My take is that Covid-19 is coming to a place near all of us within the next few months. The obvious precautions - social distancing, frequent hand washing - may not prevent contracting it.

Pretty inevitable we'll get the virus sooner or later. Most will do FINE.

Do you sit around and git paranoid about the regular flu? NO. We go on about our business.

All these measures have one thing in common. They're designed to flatten the curve. If you know much integral calculus, you'll also recognize the AREA under that curve is prolly around the same as the original sharp increase curves. The difference is that we are only buying time so as to ramp up production of necessary items and not totally overburden the healthcare system.

William Domb, DMD

Concern about crossing any borders in the near future is justified as we just don't know. You can't cross into Dare County, NC. I'm sure some states will say you can't enter soon, feeling they have things better under control than their neighbor. We're going to get out on the water tomorrow, take a trip to nowhere, probably cruise about 6 to 8 hours. Dock no where. Definitely not leave US waters. Even with that wouldn't be surprised to be asked as we return home. Main thing we're going to do is see how many cruise liners we can see and count in person. Not quite up to the Bay Area Bridge Tour of our Colleague here. We've just never witnessed so many anchored in one place as we'll see. Best count we could come up with was 45 between Miami, Fort Lauderdale and the Bahamas. Only one sitting at Port Everglades at the moment, Silver Wind.

With respect to interstate highways the Fed’s make the decisions, not the States. I would be very surprised if the Fed’s close the interstates. Too much vital commerce travel over those roads. With that said it is conceivable that they could close small sections to isolate “hotspots”. To my knowledge all states have a port of entry where cargo could be allowed through but not passengers. Still, this is pretty unlikely given the panic that would follow.

As far as international ports of entry, again the Fed’s have control. Shutting those has proved to be politically acceptable. Truck traffic over the borders must continue as vital supplies come from both Mexico and Canada. Crossing in a private vessel would be troublesome though I expect US citizens to be allowed to enter. It’s very possible you might be quarantined.

Pretty inevitable we'll get the virus sooner or later. Most will do FINE.

Do you sit around and git paranoid about the regular flu? NO. We go on about our business.
William Domb, DMD

I go about my business during flu season with the added security of a "name your effectiveness" flu shot, something we do not even have for CV19 with its much higher rate of death. My take is to stay out here on this boat until a vaccine comes along.

Greetings,
Mr. rg. "... stay out here on this boat until a vaccine comes along." You're gonna need more food and fuel. How're your fishing skills?

Crossing the US-Canadian border

Is this trip essential or pleasure? It might get very interesting explaining that a luxury yacht spending a couple of months in Canada anything other than a vacation. Personal experience has taught me that when Canadian or US customs want to run you thru the mill, you won’t com away a happy boater!

Greetings,
Mr. rg. "... stay out here on this boat until a vaccine comes along." You're gonna need more food and fuel. How're your fishing skills?

We keep a fair amount of stock in our home and could easily go a week or three at any given time, but when our boorish neighbor started in on me about her extensive prepping and blah, blah, I told her that I was stocking up on lead and that I now knew where the food was in the neighborhood.

Here aboard Eleohn we have enough fuel for 6 hours of generator time for one year plus ten days. So between my fishing skills (so, so) and my pirating skills (likely far better) we can make the advertised one year expected wait for the vaccine. :)

So talked to Crusty and they are still in Mexico. The bus that runs to Phoenix is shut down. So they have hired a driver to taken them to Nogales Mexico. Then they will walk over the bridge, to Nogales USA.

They have friends that will take them to Phonix where they will rent a car and drive home to Las Vegas. hope they make it.

Back
Top Bottom