Can I get back in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem with this whole hot weather will kill the virus stuff is that we live in an air conditioned world. Sure the virus that you might be exposed to walking from the store to your car will die, but what about in the mall or the supermarket?

Trudeau just restricted Alaska cruise ships from Canadian ports. A similar restriction for all US vessels isn't hard to imagine.

If your crossing boarder into Canada your supposed to tell CBSA officers if your sick, nothing draconian is going to happen...
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/web-qaf-eng.html

To many what if's... Using common sense is what is required. Traveling by boat were already in self isolation. If we get sick and need medical assistance call ahead to health providers making arrangements so they can protect themselves in case you have covid-19.
Healthcare available along Inside Passage, Haida Gwaii and Prince Rupert.
Canada does not discriminate in healthcare, foreigners receive same care as Canadians. Most sick are treated 1st. Whether you can pay or not does not enter the equation. When you arrive at doctors office or hospital emergency they will ask for your health insurance, Visa etc. Treatment you receive is not related to your credit limit.
Yes our system is busy with wait times. But if your need urgent care you move to front of line.
If your injured or very sick BC Ambulance Service will evacuate you to hospital by any means necessary. BC residents pay flat fee of $200 whether its 1 mile in ambulance or 100 miles from your boat using air ambulance.
BC Ministry of Health, covid-19 updates
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020HLTH0074-000470Health Covid19 info.

Here is a question that came up in my mind. AFAIK, now, if a boat can pass through Canadian waters without stopping or anchoring, then they don't have to check in to Canada. (Not saying most of us would want to do this, but just as a discussion point.)

It looks to me like International waters ("high seas") start 200 miles off shore. So the entire Inside Passage would be Territorial (National) waters.

So, say Canada says no cruise (or other) ships can stop. Fair enough. But my question is, could Canada theoretically say that a vessel cannot pass through their Territorial waters? Are there special circumstances they can invoke? I'm thinking about a Washington to Alaska transit type situation.

I guess this is a blend of a cruise ship and a private boat topic, since it could affect either.

I think the free passage thru Canadian waters between Ak and Wa is an agreement between the two nations. The waters lie within Canada's boundaries. I think they can revoke the "right" at any time. It means if you wish to make the transit without clearing Canada customs you must run non stop. No anchoing or docking. 24 x 7 until back in US waters.

The problem with this whole hot weather will kill the virus stuff is that we live in an air conditioned world. Sure the virus that you might be exposed to walking from the store to your car will die, but what about in the mall or the supermarket?

It does not seem to be a problem with flu going away seasonally, and we have only that to compare with.

Do tell how the US Coast Guard gets authority to stop and board a boat in Canadian waters.

Is this something you have experienced or is it an "I heard" thing?

Our respective countries have had an agreement called “Shiprider” for many years. In short, the agreement permits RCMP to exercise authority in the U.S., as well as USCG to exercise authority in Canada. Search for RCMP USCG SHIPRIDER for myriad articles on the topic.

Generally speaking, the air above the ground is territorial but by international agreement can be flown without involvement of the authorities except as needed for air traffic control. From a practical standpoint when you transit the airspace of a nation you will need to contact ATC and advise your destination, receive a transponder code, and generally advise them of who you are. If you are transiting their airspace that is mostly what is involved. Most nations have some kind of air traffic control and you will need to comply with their routings, altitude, etc.. The is no need for inspection, Customs, immigration, or otherwise.

The rules of the ocean are different and I’m still learning those. I suppose one could transit Canadian waters without stopping and avoid Customs but you would still be subject to inspection within their territorial waters.

I think the free passage thru Canadian waters between Ak and Wa is an agreement between the two nations. The waters lie within Canada's boundaries. I think they can revoke the "right" at any time. It means if you wish to make the transit without clearing Canada customs you must run non stop. No anchoing or docking. 24 x 7 until back in US waters.

Yes, and it is roughly 500 miles and you can't touch land while passing through, which means all-night running in shipping lanes and narrow, high-current sections. I agree that Canada can probably revoke this pass-through agreement at their pleasure. As an aside, large fishing and other work boats pass through like this routinely and it's their normal method between Washington and SE Alaska, but they are pros. If Canada revoked the ability to pass through, the only transit option would be ocean running, all the way from Juan de Fuca to Dixon Entrance. Even big commercial boats would like to avoid that ordeal.

Last edited:
They could likely revoke the right to pass through, but I don't think it's likely. It wouldn't gain them much over just not allowing you to touch land or other boats.

I'm on completely shaky ground here, but would the Jones (?) Act keep Non-US flagged commercial vessels (cruise ships) from going from, say, Seattle to Ketchikan? Or are they mostly US-flagged? I wasn't sure if they might normally stop in Canada to get around that (maybe Prince Rupert or Victoria).

They could likely revoke the right to pass through, but I don't think it's likely. It wouldn't gain them much over just not allowing you to touch land or other boats.

True. Unless you were worried they might break down, or what if someone had a medical emergency and now you have 3,600 real people and do you make an exception or seem like meanies and not let them stop.

This is all just musing at this point.

I'm also planning a trip up through the jungle (the Dent, Yacultas and Gilliard Rapids) middle of June if allowed, leaving from the Tacoma area. I plan on taking extra toilet paper as much as I can carry. I don't know why I just have this need to get as much toilet paper as I can, it's like an addiction I need more. Also hand sanitizer anyone know where I can get a 55 gallon drum of hand sanitizer?

Well, this is a real mess and things are changing fast. This is my prediction: Canada will close it's borders to Americans. There is just so much more infection here than in BC right now and they want to keep it that way. I don't blame them one bit. It will really hurt the small marinas and other tourist business's along the inside passage. I saw a big reduction in boats last year when they closed the salmon fishing most of the summer. This has the potential to do a lot more damage than that did. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, this is a real mess and things are changing fast. This is my prediction: Canada will close it's borders to Americans. There is just so much more infection here than in BC right now and they want to keep it that way. I don't blame them one bit. It will really hurt the small marinas and other tourist business's along the inside passage. I saw a big reduction in boats last year when they closed the salmon fishing most of the summer. This has the potential to do a lot more damage than that did. I hope I'm wrong.

+1. Good assessment, Russ. We've pretty much scrapped our plans at this point.

I think it is more a matter of human activity changing along with the changing of
seasons. We tend to spend more time inside in winter and more outside in summer.

The virus has more opportunities to spread when we spend more time closer together.

Last edited:

We have 40 days out late June-early Aug from Anacortes and back with the majority of time in Canada. Then I’m planning on 3 weeks in Barkley from early Aug-end Aug.

Missing our “dream route” for the third year running would be painful but I guess cruising to Canada this summer may not be an option.

If your plans are for summer, I'd wait before you get too defeated. In my lifetime and yours, there has never been such hard drastic policies and plans in place for this type of thing. It may yet get defeated earlier than later.

And PS: I talked about the Boston Marathon early on in this thread. It has be cancelled in April, the plans are to run it in September.

Crossing international border canada - usa

Effective midnight tonight / sometime this weekend, the CANADA - USA - MEXICO borders will be closed to ALL "recreational / sightsseing /traveller" border crossings - BOTH WAYS.

Only "commercial" traffic will be allowed

Have fun getting into or out of CANADA / USA / MEXICO.

border is closed to non essential travel

My understanding is that the US/Canada border is closed to NON ESSENTIAL travel. Period. So while my boat may still get trucked north at the end of the month I am resigned to 'keeping my distance' in the Salish and will just have to wait until the gate opens again which may, from the looks of things, not be for awhile.

Of course maybe I could load up with toilet paper and claim to be on a mission of mercy to deliver urgent supplies

I work from home. My wife was laid the last week of January. .
:nonono: :angel:

CORRECTION: My wife was laid-OFF the last week of January.

As of yesterday, only essential travel is allowed between our two countries. So, if you can demonstrate that your travel is essential, you are OK, otherwise, you should/must stay put.
Dirk

I think anyone outside the US and heading back would have a BIG concern. I am in the Dominican Republic at Cap Cana Marina. All Marinas in the DR are now closed until August 3. It appears the Bahamas are now restricting inter-island travel until the end of March. Will the US require returning US citizens from the Caribbean and Bahamas to self quarantine for a week whenever we can make it home.

I have concerns that the aforementioned dates we be dutifully extend by at least 2 to 4 weeks. The only silver lining for me is we can leave DR at anytime as long as we don’t try to change DR marinas or we exit the DR. We have adequate fuel to make FLL but still have to transit the Bahamas. If the Bahamas are still restricted the best we can do is fly the “Q” flag and anchor in the Bahamas where necessary for rest or “mechanical” repair overnight without ever going ashore. Not good but there many be very limited options.

Another BIG consideration is negotiating with the insurance companies because I cannot make the “northern hurricane boundary” by June 1 given all the travel restrictions.

Effective midnight tonight / sometime this weekend, the CANADA - USA - MEXICO borders will be closed to ALL "recreational / sightsseing /traveller" border crossings - BOTH WAYS.

Only "commercial" traffic will be allowed

Have fun getting into or out of CANADA / USA / MEXICO.

and the question remains, is the Mexican border closed to illegals too? SMIRK

Well we will be on standby just in case BC opens

I wouldn't plan on any border being open over the next few months. Most countries will be in lock-down within the next week or two. Canada will have no choice but to close all cross border movement due to the skyrocketing numbers of US virus cases. The way it is going, the US could become the new epicentre unless big controls are put in place.

Australia has closed the doors for non-residents and will close the borders completely before the end of the month. I'm currently flying back from Brazil to get in country before all international passenger flights cease to operate before the end of the month.

Back
Top Bottom