Old 03-15-2021, 10:19 PM   #1

City: Mason
Vessel Name: Marooned
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R-27
Can a 25'-27' Tug replace an RV to live on land & sea?

I'm a newbie to this forum. Been sailing the Great Lakes for over 20 years. Now considering a Tug to use both on waters out West and to live on it like an RV when traveling to various bodies of water for 3 to 6 months.
Am I just trying to convince myself that this is doable to justify the Tug?
Has anyone accomplished this feat successfully?

Any advice is welcome,
Ken
msu1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:25 PM   #2

City: Sheridan
Vessel Name: Ethos of the T
Vessel Model: 26 Sedan Tollycraft
https://www.rangertugs.com/
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:31 PM   #3

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Hi Ken,

Sure, a 25-27 footer...a "pocket trawler"...can easily be a comfortable home and coastal cruiser. It is not unusual for folks to select a trailerable trawler for greater mobility and flexibility in using it as an RV. It's a great way for a smaller boat to explore western Canada or Alaska one season, then the Sea of Cortez the next. Though I have certainly lived aboard similar sized boats, I don't have personal experience with using them as an RV, but am aware of a few considerations. The black water tank won't be equipped for gravity dump like an RV would, so you would want to plan for that, perhaps by using a cassette toilet...like a port-a-potty. Similarly, your gray water likely would require a tank or perhaps re-plumbing to the black water tank if you decide that it's something you can deal with emptying while ashore. Of course, with portable pumpout stations becoming more common, visiting a marina, even without putting the boat in the water, might be an option for that occasional purpose.

Plenty of people have done this and will have more information for you. It's a great way to optimize your flexibility in widely exploring the continent!

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
It can be done. However, the amount of living and storage space in say a 25' boat vs. a 25' travel trailer is a lot less. For instance, 25' travel trailer probably has a queen size bed, a 25' boat most likely does not.

The ground service connections on a boat are not the same as for an RV (although you can adapt them).

Getting on and off a boat in a campground will usually require some sort of external steps or ladder and some clambering. It won't be as simple as walking out the door.

Some places you may want to stay at may take issue with you using a boat instead of a "proper" RV. Mostly because of the issues noticed previously.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:53 PM   #5
Guru

City: US PNW
(Ssobol posted while I was typing so I duplicated some of his info)

It's absolutely doable (I say because people have done it).

A couple of considerations - in addition to those mentioned above. (These may be things you've already got sussed.)

-- For the "land living" part, a boat on a trailer is nowhere near as convenient as an RV for going in and out (climbing up/in vs normal door). Fine as long as everyone can/will manage it, people and/or pets.

-- A 25-27' tug will generally require a 3/4- or 1-ton tow vehicle (which will then be your daily driver on land).

-- When you are on the water you have to figure out how to safely store your tow vehicle and trailer (not that you can't find places, but it's a "to-do" and options depend on your risk tolerance.

If you haven't already, you may want to visit "Tugnuts," a site that caters to Ranger Tug owners. Lots of 25- and 27-footers being towed.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:39 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
... -- When you are on the water you have to figure out how to safely store your tow vehicle and trailer (not that you can't find places, but it's a "to-do" and options depend on your risk tolerance.... .
This is one of the bigger problems with using a trailerable boat. Doesn't really make a difference whether you are also using the boat as an RV though. When we travel someplace new, finding a good place to leave the tow vehicle and trailer is a big part of the pre-trip planning, especially if you are going to be out on the boat for more than the day.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:17 AM   #7
Guru

City: US PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
This is one of the bigger problems with using a trailerable boat. Doesn't really make a difference whether you are also using the boat as an RV though.
That's true. I guess I was just thinking if OP is living on the boat ("RV") and traveling to new places for 3-6 months of boating, there is probably going to be a fair amount of tow-vehicle and trailer storing, and it will likely be in new places where there aren't regular spots known or a friend/neighbor can't just let you drop it at their place and they give you a ride to the ramp type of thing.

Wouldn't be a factor for either RV-ing or boating full time but not as a combo.

I'm sure even going on long trips from a home base you run into the same thing though.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:44 AM   #8
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Sure, it could be done, however that would be "college" living when you're broke.

Once one can afford some creature comforts I could argue strongly for a better plan. Get a REAL RV which is set up for the road, even if it's small. Have many friends that travel in a small (26ft) RV for several months and then do boating for several months. However, most have boat well into the mid 30s or bigger.

BUT, all doable.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:02 AM   #9
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I had a Catalina 22 sailboat when I was younger. It had a swing keel so sat roughly similar height off ground as a Tug, maybe a foot higher. Being young and broke, I of course planned to use it as an RV to justify buying a sailboat. Leaving aside towing concerns or spartan accommodations, being that high off the ground was a real buzz kill. Stopping at a rest area and climbing up into it for a few zzz's or to make a bite to eat was weird. About as far from stealth mode as you can get

Its not that much different than living on your boat when you're in the yard, which I've also done a few times. You can't use your head because there's no way to pump out, and gray water either fills a tank or splashes on the ground which isn't cool.

If the boat has a generator, you won't be able to use it out of the water, so plan a way to charge the batteries.

Provisioning via step-ladder sucks.

Is it possible? Sure. Is it practical? Not really. In my opinion, a stop gap measure while getting between destinations. I sure as heck wouldn't call it an RV

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:43 AM   #10
Guru

And have you though about how you will empty the holding tank and gray water tank (which your boat likely does not have) while in an RV or state park?
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:24 AM   #11
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
It can be done. Here is a couple who have "boaterhomed" for the last 10 years on their Ranger Tugs, first a R27 then an R29. They have a blog that details their journeys on Kismet.

Another option to towing a boat this size, would be to get an RV and tow a smaller boat. I considered doing this with a Grady White 208.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:47 AM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Since your generator and air conditioning is going to be water cooled you will have to stay in RV parks with power hookups if you want to keep batteries charged and yourself cool. Also no RV park will be able to pump out your holding tank: they use gravity to dump, not a vacuum to pump. Since you have no grey water tank you cannot use your sinks or showers either. It can be done, but it will be a real PITA.....
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:21 AM   #13
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Can a 25'-27' Tug replace an RV to live on land & sea?

FWIW my spouse and I have been considering a somewhat similar plan as an alternative to our original idea for a larger trawler for full timing it for a couple years or more with our young boys. Our conclusion is, buying a land RV setup capable of towing the boat, either a class A or C motor home or a heavy duty truck chassis with one of the larger, “comfier” truck camper slide-ins is much, much more practical for us than staying on the boat on the trailer. Trying to use systems designed to work only while in the water is a huge hurdle, especially for four humans and a dog instead of just two adults. The trick outside of financial factors is finding the right combo of GVWR and tow capacity rating, I found that - theoretically - mounting a Host brand truck camper with slides on a Ford 550 will allow enough “legal” capacity to tow a Ranger 27 or Cutwater 28 if kept light, a 650 would be better

Of course, now you are paying to purchase and maintain two systems and it’s a lot of money that could be put into a sizable used trawler for full timing along the coast instead.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #14

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Boat should be under a 10' beam so you wouldn't need road permits. For emptying the black tank a low thru hull and maybe a macerator or manual pump could work. Connecting the dump hose would be tricky. Smelly too if you just hold it up to the thru hull.
Really you'd end up with something that does nether well. Boat or travel.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Since your generator and air conditioning is going to be water cooled you will have to stay in RV parks with power hookups if you want to keep batteries charged and yourself cool. Also no RV park will be able to pump out your holding tank: they use gravity to dump, not a vacuum to pump. Since you have no grey water tank you cannot use your sinks or showers either. It can be done, but it will be a real PITA.....
There are ways around most of these issues. My boat uses an air cooled AC unit and a Honda generator (used by a lot of RVers) or shore power. So these can run when the boat is on land (do it frequently). You can rig up containers that attach to the gray water outlets quite easily. The issue with the black water can be solved with a cassette toilet (porta-potti). If you are staying in campgrounds you'll have access to toilets and showers.

An advantage to using the boat as an RV is you can leave it the campground when seeing the sights or shopping without driving the whole rig around. Same thing with a travel trailer vs. a class A or C motorhome. If you get a class A you are probably going to want to tow a car which will make towing a boat difficult.

It'll all depend on what you (and your family) need in terms of creature comforts when you travel. If you need a recliner, large TV, a full size fridge, and a fireplace to feel "at home", you're not going to be happy in anything less than a large class A motorhome. A boat on a trailer ain't going to cut it. A boat big enough for such things is not going to be towable.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
There are work-arounds for all of the issues, but as I said above, they are a PITA.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
My wife and I are out of the RVing now but we met a couple somewhere near Corning Cal. who left Wash. state on their second overwintering trip to FLorida and they were towing a Ranger , I believe a 25 or maybe a 27.

THey were parked in a fuel station lot having lunch so we talked a bit.
THey were quite happy with the setup.
How they fared after that I have no idea.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #18
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
This is one of those lose something, gain something deals. You might try looking for an older 27 tug on trailer just to get a wee bit more of livability. But my wife and I lived in 21 foot trailer, a 17 foot trailer and other larger RV's. I never found living in smaller RV's a challenge. I found the best solution for my wife and I was both in RV's and boats, the ideal solution was something that had two living areas. And I say this not because if we argue we have somewhere to go, but more if one wants to watch tv and the other wants to go to bed, two areas is preferable, it may not be tv but a book instead or what have you.

My boat has three livable areas, the cockpit which can be enclosed, the saloon and the V birth/galley area. With boats you lose something in easy livability compared to an RV but you gain something that is valuable. With a trailerable boat, you have access to some incredible cruising grounds without the higher cost.

So you could bring your boat to coastal Washington, do Puget Sound & islands, then over to Victoria in Canada and do the southern gulf islands while visiting a great little city. Then up to Comox to do Desolation Sound, then on to Telegraph Cove to do the Broughtons, then over to Prince Rupert to hit the coastal BC area north. Then take the ferry from Prince Rupert over to Alaska and cruise out of a few locations there.

I think it would be an exciting life style, but different.

PS: Our local magazine, Pacific Yachting ran an article about the benefits of boat trailering and suggested this style of boating is catching on more.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:35 PM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Today's tow vehicles offer a multitude of power supply options. Check out Ford's pickups 4 or 7 KW inverter and 110 supply outlets. This should be more than ample for charging a small vessel's house bank if at a remote site. Avoid the hot spots in the summer and AC would not be needed.

Put the rig on an AK ferry and drop off in a variety of ports. heck, one stop in Juneau would supply an easy summer's of cruising.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
My wife and I spent 18 summers cruising in a 26-foot boat. Some big western lakes, but primarily the Inside Passage. Since our home is in Utah, we traveled considerable distances to launch points - like 900 miles to Bellingham, or 1900 miles to Prince Rupert to launch for a summer in BC and/or SE Alaska.

The boat worked fine for a few overnights in campgrounds along the way - it was primarily a place to sleep. We used campground rest rooms, did no cooking other than coffee, and had no issues with black or gray water discharge. Our shore power cord connected with a simple little adapter to the campground electrical supply, so no trouble keeping batteries charged and fridge working.

Easy peasy, and cheap.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote