Campion 300 Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R. Bush

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
TBIDO
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 32
My search for a small trawler continues. Lately I have had a look at a couple of Campion 310s. The lack of a side access helm door for a single hander tends to scare me; but otherwise I like the boat. Unfortunately; there just doesn't seem to be much information out there about them. Here's hoping someone out there can help me out.

• Are the hulls solid glass or cored?
  • Is the deck house construction glass over plywood, or solid glass?
  • Unfortunately the ones I have looked at all have the gasoline engines in about the 1500 hour range. What is consider high hours for a gasoline engine? I'm guessing it is way less than what you can expect from a diesel.
  • Are there any known issues with these boats that I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance for any input offered.

Depending on how it was run, at 1500 hours with a gas engine I would consider it at the end of life. Make your price accordingly with a repower in mind. If it was run at idle it’s whole life then it may have some life left but you don’t know how it was run so plan on a repower.

I have never heard of Campion trawlers, only smaller runabouts, but these boats look familiar. Was this boat sold under other names ? It resembles the bastard child of a Prairie and a Mainship.......I really like it and I am glad it was highlighted here.

It's not just me, right ? You guys see the resemblance ? (Prairie in the water.....Campion on the hard )

Attachments

• CapionPrairie.jpg
    CapionPrairie.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 18
Ralph You should check out the Owners Group on Facebook or check with Campion itself. They are located in Kelowna BC.

Ralph You should check out the Owners Group on Facebook or check with Campion itself. They are located in Kelowna BC.

Perhaps I will give them a call. Up until a couple of years ago I could have just stopped by on the way home and talked to somebody.

I was really surprised by that comment on gas engines only lasting for 1500 hours. I had heard that figure before, but always assumed it was for an outboard that was running flat out for half of its' service life.

Boats like this seem to be really hard to find - especially here on the Great Lakes.

Thanks for the input.

Ralph
I forgot to mention my brother owned a Campion which I believe was 28 feet long. He kept it at Bayfield on Lake Huron. It appeared to me that it was a very solid boat. It provided my brother and family a number of years of enjoyable boating. Good luck in your search.

Champion Built the boats but they were a copy of the Prairies and Atlantic's.

I talked to an owner who had to rewire the boat due to solid core house wire use. Still liked the boat.
I also knew another owner, now out of boating at least ten yrs, that thought the boat was the cats meow.
Other comment were that the boats were improved by additional ballast, lead or a generator.
As far as the engines are concerned a GOOD mechanic should be able to assess the condition.
I do not flat out agree with 1500 hrs. I knew several people who ran far beyond that.
A LOT depends on the owner and how they used and maintained the engine.

Even diesels can be ruined in 1,000 hours by a careless or ignorant owner.

Get a good mechanic for assessment.

Can,t comment on the other questions

Brochures FYI

I did reach out to Campion. They responded that they had no information on the 300/310 other than some old brochures which they sent to me.

I will attempt to upload them here in case someone wants to check them out in the future.

Attachments

• 1982_15.jpg
    1982_15.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 20
  • 1982_16.jpg
    1982_16.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 1982_17.jpg
    1982_17.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 34
Interesting. The Adventure model looks a Mainship for sure

CAMPION 300/310 a great Canadian built Trawler

CAMPION 300/310 - an overview of this fine Canadian built trawler from the early 80's. Approximately 72 were built in Kelowna BC. Both models share the same 30’ hull / 34’ LOA.
It is ideal for a cruising couple, who don't require a second dedicated stateroom or two bathrooms. It has a large flybridge, covered rear cockpit, spacious Salon, with a lower-level galley and the 310 has a small aft-cabin. The hull and upper structure are solid HD fiberglass. It has a high upswept bow that makes it ocean capable.

The displacing hull has a 12' beam and optimal cruising speed of 7kns and can do that all day long. If you push harder with more HP, you will only add 2-3kns, make a lot of noise, wake and drink 3x the fuel. I love my gas-powered ’82 Campion 310!

Back
Top Bottom