Old 10-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Black Creek, BC
Calling all North Pacific 42/43 owners

I have sold my boat and now am looking at a trawler and have viewed a NP 43 for the first time, but I have a bunch of questions so I was wondering if an NP owners would not mind me asking some questions. I have reached out to Dave who has been very helpful, so I am including you again Dave if you don't mind.
Cheers
Mitlenatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I would suggest just posting the questions. Since there isn't a specific North Pacific sub-forums in the 'Brands' sub-forums, I'd just post the questions in General.

(of course, it's always better to isolate subjects into different threads. 10 questions in a single thread starts to get messy, unless they're all related to the same relative topic).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Okay, thanks, I will try that.

Cheers
Old 10-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Looks like a slim market for used North Pacific Yachts currently.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey, you have one! Can I ask you a few questions?

Cheers
Phil
Old 10-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
Guru

Ask away. Will try to help if I can.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My wife and I had a look at a NP 43 for the first time and a few things came to mind. One was the drop down ceiling section just above the master bed. She was concerned she would hit her head on it getting up? I thought it was an odd question, but I'll ask anyway.

Another is about how stable they are in the water. I noticed the one we looked at had static fins installed onto the hull. I guess this is a difficult question to answer, but are they stable in the water, with not having a wide beam at 12'7". I have never had a boat with a fly bridge so the added weight above the waterline would make the boat react differently then our low cruiser in rougher waters it would seem. Does the hull compesate for some of that with keel style centreline?

We also found it a little ackward to steer from the pilot house. We found we had to raise the seat to its max to see (i'm 6'1") and then found I had to lean forward to reach the wheel. That would be uncomfortable on long trips or is it just me. We were only at the dock so maybe we don't actually need the seat that high, I'm not sure. Seemed easier to put my feet on the bottom of the wheel then hands on the top!

Please keep in mind I have had no experience in piloting a trawler style vessel. I have been boating since I was 10, but only in cruisers, so I hope my questions are not to odd!

Cheers
Old 10-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitlenatch View Post
Please keep in mind I have had no experience in piloting a trawler style vessel. I have been boating since I was 10, but only in cruisers, so I hope my questions are not to odd!

Cheers
Questions are never too odd. Answers, on the other hand...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
Guru

Phil. Yes, you can bump your head. You learn, quickly that it is painful..and avoidable..

Like any boat it pitches and rolls, more than some, less than others. It does its designed job as a coastal cruiser well. I have the fixed fins on mine, and they help. It weighs only 18T, so not heavy for a 42-43 foot boat. Nordy 40 I would guess would be close to 30T. Followed a pair of trollers, north bound around Cape Caution, they both had poles stowed, and they were going from gunnel to gunnel. We were rolling but it was not uncomfortable.

As for the Pilot house. The seat adjusts fore and aft, and up and down. Seated steering and visibility is fine. My AP does the steering better than 90% of the time. Standing and steering at 6 ft, might not be to comfortable. You might wish you were 6 to 8 inches shorter. The seat when it is fully aft, does impede the crew, still passable though. When fwd it makes it tight on the person standing and steering. A trade off is having the seat 90 degrees. It all works. Hope this helps. Dan
Old 10-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Phil. Yes, you can bump your head. You learn, quickly that it is painful..and avoidable..

Like any boat it pitches and rolls, more than some, less than others. It does its designed job as a coastal cruiser well. I have the fixed fins on mine, and they help. It weighs only 18T, so not heavy for a 42-43 foot boat. Nordy 40 I would guess would be close to 30T. Followed a pair of trollers, north bound around Cape Caution, they both had poles stowed, and they were going from gunnel to gunnel. We were rolling but it was not uncomfortable.

As for the Pilot house. The seat adjusts fore and aft, and up and down. Seated steering and visibility is fine. My AP does the steering better than 90% of the time. Standing and steering at 6 ft, might not be to comfortable. You might wish you were 6 to 8 inches shorter. The seat when it is fully aft, does impede the crew, still passable though. When fwd it makes it tight on the person standing and steering. A trade off is having the seat 90 degrees. It all works. Hope this helps. Dan
Thanks Dan

About your AP. Are you not concerned with driftwood and logs etc? Not much in your area? Again with a cruiser I have to keep my eyes straight ahead (one reason I'm looking forward to a trawler). If I hit anything with my last boat I would be replacing both legs. I realize the prop is protected to a degree by the hull on the NP or it at least looks that way with the hull design.

Again, thank you in advance.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #11
Guru

Always on the lookout, just not steering and then only making 6-8 knots. See something then hit a button and watch it slide along side. Sometimes conditions might dictate hand steering, but most of the time Rogue is on Auto. I would think most trawlers are operated this way. The auto on Rogue is very good at holding a course, almost zero hunting, very easy to run range markers.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Always on the lookout, just not steering and then only making 6-8 knots. See something then hit a button and watch it slide along side. Sometimes conditions might dictate hand steering, but most of the time Rogue is on Auto. I would think most trawlers are operated this way. The auto on Rogue is very good at holding a course, almost zero hunting, very easy to run range markers.
Thank you very much for all your information. It has been very helpful. Now I just need to find a boat!!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
OP: There's lots of trawlers in the 40' range. How did you so quickly narrow your search to just one boat brand? Just curious, thats all.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
OP: There's lots of trawlers in the 40' range. How did you so quickly narrow your search to just one boat brand? Just curious, thats all.
Well, it's not really that quickly. Have been looking or thinking about this for a couple of years. Put together a check list and then looked to see what might fall under the majority of the items. No chance of getting everything we wanted but needed to see how many we could get and put a priority on some.
We wanted something with no or little canvas, so if it had no flybridge that was fine. Prefer single diesel. No ladders to flybridge or roof. This was a must. 2 stateroom as our family is growing up and more friends aboard. And then of course price range.
We love the stairs to the flybridge that NP and Helmsman have. We also can't find a Nortic Tug under 45 (can't get anything bigger in our marina) that has 2 stateroom other then very new and out of our price range. From there it became the smaller items but this is how we got to this stage.
Stairs vs ladder is big
2 stateroom is big.
It needs to be somewhat local, BC and WA. I'm not going to San Diego to get anything. Have any suggestions for us???
My problem is I just love all the boats I look at. I want one of each!!!! Come on lotto max!
We do like the NP now that we have viewed a couple of them. I also looked at a NP39 but only one stateroom but nice vessel.

Cheers
Phil
Old 10-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Mitlenatch don't overlook the American Tug.
Hmmm, if you don't have a ladder to the fly bridge, how do you get up there?
Old 10-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Mitlenatch don't overlook the American Tug.
Hmmm, if you don't have a ladder to the fly bridge, how do you get up there?
Yes, the AT is one we like a lot but has ladder as a matter of fact it is my wife's favourite. It's not that we can't use a ladder, we just prefer to have access with stairs vs ladder.
NP has stairs outside the pilot house on both sides to the flybridge. We love that.

Cheers
Old 10-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitlenatch View Post
Yes, the AT is one we like a lot but has ladder as a matter of fact it is my wife's favourite. It's not that we can't use a ladder, we just prefer to have access with stairs vs ladder.
NP has stairs outside the pilot house on both sides to the flybridge. We love that.

Cheers
That is one point you were looking for.
Next point?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
That is one point you were looking for.
Next point?
2 stateroom with bunk beds in the guest stateroom (kids)
40'-45' max
no older then 2006
no more then 2000 hrs
galley on same level (or close to same level) as cockpit/living area
single diesel
no or little canvas

That is a few key items.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #19
Guru

Reinspect the areas of water intrusion carefully. Get an estimate for repairing the areas.

You will want canvas to cover the pilot house windows for privacy. WINK WINK
Old 10-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C’YA
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43 Pilot House 09
I’m a North Pacific 43 owner you can ask me about them
Thanks Woodlord
woodlord is offline   Reply With Quote