Calling all North Pacific 42/43 owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, that's funny. Karen asked me if someone mentioned about a boat for sale on this forum and I said yes. Someone must be trolling the site and I just ignored it I told her. I went back and had a closer look and it was you too. Glad to see your still sailing the seas. Is that your boat for sale?

Nope not our boat, we have a 26 Tolly.
Best of luck with your boat search.
Cheers, Dave

Phil. Yes, you can bump your head. You learn, quickly that it is painful..and avoidable..

Like any boat it pitches and rolls, more than some, less than others. It does its designed job as a coastal cruiser well. I have the fixed fins on mine, and they help. It weighs only 18T, so not heavy for a 42-43 foot boat. Nordy 40 I would guess would be close to 30T. Followed a pair of trollers, north bound around Cape Caution, they both had poles stowed, and they were going from gunnel to gunnel. We were rolling but it was not uncomfortable.

As for the Pilot house. The seat adjusts fore and aft, and up and down. Seated steering and visibility is fine. My AP does the steering better than 90% of the time. Standing and steering at 6 ft, might not be to comfortable. You might wish you were 6 to 8 inches shorter. The seat when it is fully aft, does impede the crew, still passable though. When fwd it makes it tight on the person standing and steering. A trade off is having the seat 90 degrees. It all works. Hope this helps. Dan

Hi Reb,

I'm having the bilge wings put on my boat too. They are supposed to be almost as good as the active stabilizers. A claim that I question. How do you like them? Is there a significant improvement in roll reduction?

Thanks,

Dirt. I would agree, that active stabilizing would probably be better, but these work, and are 10% the cost. Are you having Roy B. Do the work? Take a look at the boat he and his company built, I don’t have a link, but the boat name is Single Malt built by independent Shipwrights. No longer on market but was listed with Calibre Yacht Sales. I will look for a link. Dan

Wouldn't buy it, 'teak decks'.

Wow, what a boat! I can only dream of owning a boat like that.

Reb,

How do you like the bilge wings? I forget the name of the place that's going to do it but I think they're up in Canada.

Cheers!

Doc, I think they were asking 600-700k for it. Not sure my memory is correct on that.

I have sold my boat and now am looking at a trawler and have viewed a NP 43 for the first time, but I have a bunch of questions so I was wondering if an NP owners would not mind me asking some questions. I have reached out to Dave who has been very helpful, so I am including you again Dave if you don't mind.
Cheers

Mit,

Have you decided on a boat yet? I love my NP45 so far. I think it's very similar to the 43. The interior is almost identical and so is the exterior except for the reversed windows on the pilot house. The over all length is the same and it has a bit more beam, 12" I think. But other than that they are very similar boats. I am impressed with the quality of the build. Especially the interior woodwork. I don't think you could go wrong with a North Pacific. The used price of the 43 is very reasonable from what I've seen. The ownership is very helpful. Good luck!

They are a good addition. Hope you get a few hours, on your boat without them, so you can recognize the difference. Will you get the 12 or 18 inch ones. I had a couple of seasons on the 42, before mine was done, left the yard in Nanaimo, and headed N to Alaska for 100 days. Never have regretted having them added.

Doc, I think they were asking 600-700k for it. Not sure my memory is correct on that.

Reb,

I just got offered $700k for my NP45! Some fellow that doesn't want to wait a year for a new one. Dave R. said he has stopped by the boat to look at it several times. He asked Dave R. to pass along the offer to me. LOL, this is just too funny. I feel for the guy. I know how he feels but no way am I going to go through all of this again! Hell, I've got $60k of antennas on the hardtop! I'm sure that I am approaching his offer so far. Why would I want to sell it for a slight profit (maybe) and start the process all over again?:banghead:

They are a good addition. Hope you get a few hours, on your boat without them, so you can recognize the difference. Will you get the 12 or 18 inch ones. I had a couple of seasons on the 42, before mine was done, left the yard in Nanaimo, and headed N to Alaska for 100 days. Never have regretted having them added.

Reb,

Great to hear that the wings are working out for you. I'm planning on putting the 18" wings. He also suggested making them longer. They are huge! I'll try to find the picture that he sent to me.

Reb,

Great to hear that the wings are working out for you. I'm planning on putting the 18" wings. He also suggested making them longer. They are huge! I'll try to find the picture that he sent to me.

I am also interested in doing this. Who is it that you are going to use to do the work?

Nope not our boat, we have a 26 Tolly.
Best of luck with your boat search.
Cheers, Dave

You must be referring to my Carver C34. I finally sold it and bought a North Pacific 45. That was a while back but thanks for the thought.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom