Calling all North Pacific 42/43 owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first thought is, there will be less demands on 380 when trying to get the same speed.

Phil. Rogue has the 330hp engine. Coastal cruising the Canadian Coast, Gulf Islands, Desolation, the Broughtons, daily distances are short. I normally travel at 1250 rpm. If current is not helping will bump rpm, to 1400, 1600 to maintain 6-7 kts. Crossing the strait, or running Johnston, Cape Caution etc will run 1800-2000 rpm, just to get it over with. I run wot only to check fuel flow, top speed(give you an idea of how much fouling you might be carrying), and cooling. Staying cool at wot is a good indication that all is well. But I don’t think I need 330hp to accomplish the above. The 230hp owners seem to be happy. I think the first 49 came with 230hp. I think, if the bigger hp would allow a bigger diameter prop, by several inches, it might be a positive in slow speed maneuvering, but am not sure if that is the case. I would not let the hp rating be a deciding factor in a purchase. Nor would I, not consider a boat because it had more than 2k hrs. Good luck.

Phil. Rogue has the 330hp engine. Coastal cruising the Canadian Coast, Gulf Islands, Desolation, the Broughtons, daily distances are short. I normally travel at 1250 rpm. If current is not helping will bump rpm, to 1400, 1600 to maintain 6-7 kts. Crossing the strait, or running Johnston, Cape Caution etc will run 1800-2000 rpm, just to get it over with. I run wot only to check fuel flow, top speed(give you an idea of how much fouling you might be carrying), and cooling. Staying cool at wot is a good indication that all is well. But I don’t think I need 330hp to accomplish the above. The 230hp owners seem to be happy. I think the first 49 came with 230hp. I think, if the bigger hp would allow a bigger diameter prop, by several inches, it might be a positive in slow speed maneuvering, but am not sure if that is the case. I would not let the hp rating be a deciding factor in a purchase. Nor would I, not consider a boat because it had more than 2k hrs. Good luck.

Would be interesting to see the gah readings with each engine with the same hull.

The 330 shows 16 gph at WOT making 12 knots, on a good day.

and at hull speed, what is the consumption for the 330?

Rebel
I have a 230 I’m happy with it and the fuel consumption
We were coming home from Everett last spring and we were past by another np43 and it was moving about 12 knots he must of had the 330 in it I wander what his fuel consumption was anyway a little more power could be helpful
Woodlord

Old Dan. I guess I don’t know what the hull speed is? If you figure 7 kts, 3gph would be close, probably a little less. 6 knots though fuel burn less than 2 gph.

Phil
That last message was for you sorry Rebel
Woodlord

Old Dan
We’re getting around 7 knots at a burn rate of 2.2 gph at.1600 rpm
Woodlord

Old Dan
We’re getting around 7 knots at a burn rate of 2.2 gph at.1600 rpm
Woodlord

My AT, with a 380, should get about 2.1 gph at 8 knots, 1400 rpm aka hull speed.
7knts. 1200 rpm, 1.4gph, 6 knots 1000 rpm, 1 gph. with 400 gal of diesel, I can go a long way at 6 knots but, it will take a long time to get there too.
Hello Bermuda, anyone home?

Old Dan
That is absolutely sweet burn rate with power to spear I am not in a hurry anymore but a little more power would be nice
Thanks

Warning: That is the empty figures. LOL
Reality is not so much.

Hey guys, have any of you had issues with your dripless shaft seals on your NP? I noticed on a recent survey that he noted "seawater mist coming off propellor shaft dripless seal". It is original seal so is 7 years old. Possible just poor seal between steel collar and graphite flange? Should be replaced at 7 years? Maybe collar has slipped and lost compression from bellows?

Attachments

• DSC_8752.jpg
    DSC_8752.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 64
No leaks on my 2012 39.

Rob

Oh, well done. That's great. Are you back in Campbell River? I was walking the docks and think I came across your boat.

I am Phil! Was out cruising and now settling in back at the dock - I'm usually around these days. Way out the end of I dock in Discovery harbour.

No leaks and still looks good on original seal 2009 43’

No leaks on my 2010 NP43 Shaft Seal. However, at some point I should probably look at what parts should be replaced (bellows?). I'd rather avoid problems.

If your replacing the bellow, you want to replace the whole dripless unit, which comes with bellows.
I'm going to have a good look at this one on Friday. I'm starting to wonder if the collar as slipped and the bellows no longer have the required tension that is required. There is a measurement for the compression of the bellows. I don't know the make of the Dripless so I can't look that up yet.

No leaks on my 2010 NP43 Shaft Seal. However, at some point I should probably look at what parts should be replaced (bellows?). I'd rather avoid problems.

Dave, how many hours are on yours? (if that is okay to ask)

Cheers

Hey Phil,
OT but why not
40 ft Tolly Tri Cabin
Twin Cummins 2200 hrs
In LaConner
Cheers Dave and Laurie
See you on the water

La Conner Yacht Sales (La Conner, WA)

Oh, that's funny. Karen asked me if someone mentioned about a boat for sale on this forum and I said yes. Someone must be trolling the site and I just ignored it I told her. I went back and had a closer look and it was you too. Glad to see your still sailing the seas. Is that your boat for sale?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom