A Call To Action

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the big cons is "mooring field", where the locals claim A 5 MILE SQUARE AREA AS THEIRS!

Basically ALL the waters that touch the county's or towns shores are THEIRS!

They will put in a mooring or two and then enforce a "No anchoring" in "OUR" field.

I know of no rule that gives properety rights to this claimed bottom , yet they will give tickets for the local Kangaroo court judge (another failed lawyer) who has zero concept of maritime laws or tradition.

Without a liar for hire to go fight each and every tiny town and their land grabs , its a difficult situation.

That is why it is important to be proactive now before this becomes law and at least make the attempt to sway the legislators in the direction of fairness and common sense. In todays economy no state can afford to alienate potential tourist dollars.

"In todays economy no state can afford to alienate potential tourist dollars."

The failed lawyers that infest most legislations do not undersrand that money is spent in their State , even by anchor out cruising folks.

IF your not at a $3.00 a ft overnight dock , your a bum, and subject to legal harassment.

An issue similar to this was tried in Alabama but did not stand up in court.
The city of Guntersville tried to stop duck hunting in the waters of Lake Guntersville that surround them. The ruling was that the water belongs to the state and not the city and since hunting is legal on state waters they have no authority to interfere.

Good luck,
Mark

Good point Mark, but in the case of Floriduh, the state would give the cities, towns and municipalities the authority to regulate the waters. That is why we as boaters that want to preserve free anchoring should respond and let the state know just what we contribute to the economy and what they stand to loose.

Federal navigable waters are under the control of the feds, and the states can't prohibit free navigation, including anchoring. That's the crux of the matter.

Here are some of the problems that I saw this past weekend. These were all in about a 3 mile area. The problem is the cities etc trying to stop the derelect/abandoned boat problem are writing legislation that will effect all boaters.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/jspence47/IMG_9374.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/jspence47/IMG_9371.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/jspence47/IMG_9374.jpg
-- Edited by Jim Spence at 10:47, 2009-03-12

-- Edited by Jim Spence at 10:50, 2009-03-12

Ah, But that is not necessarily true Keith. The Federal courts have upheld the local authority by state, county and city governments over their waterways in every challenge brought before them. The Federal government, a long time ago, handed over the management of inland waterways to local governments.

Jim, You are correct but do keep in mind that the laws and regulations already exist to deal with these problems without undo restriction to legitimate boaters. The local governments have chosen to not use the tools already at their disposal. These new regulations are also driven by some people with lots of money, powerful friends, that have their own agendas. A close look at the Sarasota Florida regulations, crafted and pushed through legislation by the owner of the city marina and the benefactor of the new mooring field is a perfect example of what is really going on in Florida.

You are exactly right Capn Chuck. There are other ways to take care of the problem. I posted the pictures because I'm not sure how many other boaters see all the junk that is out there. I don't know if its a problem in other states or not.

Jim, We have found this issue all along the coast from Houston to the Chesapeake so it is not just a Floriduh problem. What concerns us all is that how goes Floriduh, so goes the rest of the states. Could we eventually find ourselves in a position that we can no longer anchor anywhere near civilization and be forced to stay in expensive marinas or moorings. We cruise extensively and when in cruising mode, very seldom use marinas. That is just our style and preference.

"Federal navigable waters are under the control of the feds, and the states can't prohibit free navigation, including anchoring."

Nice dream , but when the Coast Guard (AKA Hooligan Navy) gave up and became the Federal Marine Police to get a bigger cut of tax extractions power was passed to the locals , who know ZERO of maratime laws , and are uninterested in learning.

FF

FF wrote:

"Federal navigable waters are under the control of the feds, and the states can't prohibit free navigation, including anchoring."

Nice dream , but when the Coast Guard (AKA Hooligan Navy) gave up and became the Federal Marine Police to get a bigger cut of tax extractions power was passed to the locals , who know ZERO of maratime laws , and are uninterested in learning.

FF
I am afraid I find your comments regarding the Coast Guard baseless and totally unfair to one of the few organizations within the US government that actually serves the people it was intended for. The first time you find yourself in a life threatening situation on the water, jump on the VHF and call the Hooligan Navy, then kiss your butt good-bye. I have been involved in working with the Coast Guard off an on for decades and find them to be first rate, professional, and willing to risk their own lives to help others in distress. Every encounter I have had with them has been pleasant and professional. It is always comforting to us to know that if we need them they are as close as our VHF. The federal government, not the Coast Guard handed over the rights to the states to regulate their own waterways. The Coast Guard has nothing to do with enacting or directing how and where regulations on the water apply. They are mandated by congress to provide assistance to maritime interests and uphold the laws of the United States. Why would that be a problem for you? If you believe their mandate should be changed you will need to go to congress.

"in a life threatening situation on the water"

There in lies the rub!

In days gone by the CG would assist folks to save property (wealth) as well as human lives.

Today unless you are in DIRE straights , they pass the call on to Sea Tow , or the local pirates , as your boat pounds on the rocks.

Sure they sent boats out in the old days to tow out of gas folks , as rescue practice , so there was some waste of resources.

Today the resources they chose to destroy are YOURS! , not just a bit of diesel, and a boat ride for some 19 year old kids.

Do they save lives , sure , are they worth the expense and boarding hassles for the distance cruiser , not to me.

FF

Back
Top Bottom