Calif to Texas, who has done it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roguewave

Guru
Vessel Name
bout’ time
Vessel Make
Grady White 282 Sailfish
I'm doing a bit of research...

Just wondering, seems like all the boats I end up liking are in California :facepalm:

So I started searching for those that have made the trip and wether they would ever do it again.

I would not be interested in trucking, no adventure in that ;)

More than likely a Defever 44, 49 or 50.
Thoughts?

I would help you with that delivery. I'm licensed captain with a valid passport and document in hand. I live in he Bay Area, so I could also help you with the logistics of the purchase as well. Good Mechanical and navigation knowledge, and I'm an awesome cook. When are we going?

Some thoughts from someone who was considering the same situation:

Was considering a 40' Willard in La Paz Mexico. The trip is certainly doable. Language barrier was first concern. Complying with all countries traveling requirements was second. Vessel documentation was taking over 6 months, and there was no way I was going into, through, or even near by a foreign country without permanent paperwork. Next was the issue of safety. Unless you plan to stay 50 miles offshore except to go into large commercial ports, you just a foreigner with a large expensive boat. Last issue and the absolute deal breaker was new boat comfort. However I got this boat out of La Paz was going to require a major trip past a lot of desolate beach. Regardless of how good you think the condition of all your boat systems are in, that's a huge undertaking in a new to you boat. From the USA Mexico boarder South there ain't much till you get to Cabo. Not a good place to be if you have a new to you boat. If your going to buy the boat, play with it for several months and put a couple hundred hours on motors and genset, much more doable from a comfort level standpoint. Not much in the way of Seatow and Towboat US south of San Diego.

Anyway, that was the conclusion I came to in the fall of 2013.

Ted

Thank you Ted, great info and insight.

Some thoughts from someone who was considering the same situation:

Was considering a 40' Willard in La Paz Mexico. The trip is certainly doable. Language barrier was first concern. Complying with all countries traveling requirements was second. Vessel documentation was taking over 6 months, and there was no way I was going into, through, or even near by a foreign country without permanent paperwork. Next was the issue of safety. Unless you plan to stay 50 miles offshore except to go into large commercial ports, you just a foreigner with a large expensive boat. Last issue and the absolute deal breaker was new boat comfort. However I got this boat out of La Paz was going to require a major trip past a lot of desolate beach. Regardless of how good you think the condition of all your boat systems are in, that's a huge undertaking in a new to you boat. From the USA Mexico boarder South there ain't much till you get to Cabo. Not a good place to be if you have a new to you boat. If your going to buy the boat, play with it for several months and put a couple hundred hours on motors and genset, much more doable from a comfort level standpoint. Not much in the way of Seatow and Towboat US south of San Diego.

Anyway, that was the conclusion I came to in the fall of 2013.

Ted

It would be a heck of a fun trip though. :blush:

I'm doing a bit of research...

Just wondering, seems like all the boats I end up liking are in California :facepalm:

What a coincidence, had the same problem in the other way. Live in Cali and the boats I liked where east coast.

Solution is simple. Search Yachtworld by your home state only. :flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom