Old 07-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #21
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
[QUOTE=sanychsamara;680579]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post

You did reduced noise, I never doubted it . But it was not the best way to spend your money for the engine room insulation. You spent probably ~$2/sqft and got ~2dB noise reduction. That is $1 per sqft per dB. With DIY foam + MLV board you would have blocked ~10dB for $3/sqft, a 3x more effective way to spend your hard earned money
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: La Center
Vessel Name: Breeze
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Thank you, Bill, most helpful. We are looking at GB 36s, with both twin and single, and irregardless of the other considerations, thought this was something to factor in. Your reply makes sense.
melissar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
Rcd

City: Chestertown
Boat noise

Interesting volley of opinions most have merit however bang for the buck appears to be in play. Before I start lining the boat with a myriad of products, floating machinery away from hard sufaces etc. I would first make sure motor mounts are optimal, shafts are aligned and the props have been properly serviced. Both motors should be checked for accuracy to the tachs etc. Then find it's happy place (rpm) to run the boat. After all of that begin to look at stopping the remaining noise.
Rcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #24
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcd View Post
Interesting volley of opinions most have merit however bang for the buck appears to be in play. Before I start lining the boat with a myriad of products, floating machinery away from hard sufaces etc. I would first make sure motor mounts are optimal, shafts are aligned and the props have been properly serviced. Both motors should be checked for accuracy to the tachs etc. Then find it's happy place (rpm) to run the boat. After all of that begin to look at stopping the remaining noise.
It also helps to be able to take a trip on more than one of a particular model/year. Not always possible but potentially worth added expense/effort. This way you'll have a feel for how the brand/model is "supposed to" feel, versus how just the one example you're considering as a purchase might feel.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #25

City: Tellico Lake, TN
Vessel Name: Tellico Lady
Vessel Model: 50' Marine Trader Walkaround
The boat build, the engine intake filter (if any), and the condition of the motor mounts are the overwhelming factors in the cabin noise. For example, in my 50' Marine Trader with twin 160 HP Perkins, the noise traveling is much less than my buddies 36' Marine Trader single, but the comparison is not apple to apple. I mention the motor mounts and the intake filter as many people have no idea how much they contribute to noise. Another factor is what "kind" of noise. Two equal dB readings don't necessarily "register" on people as equally loud. Some sounds are much more annoying than others.
Trawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
As mentioned above, so many variables that it's hard to say one is louder than another. I've been on some twins that were MUCH quieter that other singles but in general, I'd think with twins and singles on the same model, twins will be more noticeable in noise and/or vibration. There are methods for reducing both.

I have twins on an old boat that suffered a sagging house. I installed adjustable struts made of steel pipe in the ER to improve the support and raise the house to its original height. (Thanks Cpseudonym!) This transferred more vibrations into the salon floor. Adding sand to the pipes that supported the floor greatly reduced the vibes transferred to the decking.

I also installed a sound-barrier carpet underlayment designed to attenuate the noise made by Soundown. (Thanks, Keysdisease!) It cancels a good portion of the mid- and high-frequency noise but not so much help at the lowest frequencies. It's done a great job of quieting the boat and softening the feel under foot.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #27
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I also installed a sound-barrier carpet underlayment designed to attenuate the noise made by Soundown. (Thanks, Keysdisease!) It cancels a good portion of the mid- and high-frequency noise but not so much help at the lowest frequencies. It's done a great job of quieting the boat and softening the feel under foot.

My measuring device wasn't sophisticated enough to address various frequency ranges, so I only got total dB differences, before and after. Turns out it doesn't seem like much of an improvement on paper, but it still seems quieter, both for mains/genset together and only genset.

And yes, definitely softer underfoot! That right there was worth the price of admission for me!

I thought it odd that in both before and after tests, our twins are louder at idle than they are at 1200 RPMs.

-Chris