Old 11-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I agree with psn....no issue with the uncaged blades. I have had one for several years and the noise level, air movement and power consumption are all in the excellent range to me. When I added a fan to the master stateroom over the bed, I went with the 748 caged blade to avoid the rude awakening of a finger in the blade in the middle of the night. Not that it hurts, but to avoid the surprise result.

The rubber blade can accumulate some dust that cleans off easily. The black 747 fan seems to conceal the dust better than my white 748.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
My wife is short and our fans are high, seems she is always getting a finger hit while trying to reach around behind the fan. They are still installed, so cant be that bad. I eventually just left them on high and put a remote switch in for her. They were on the boat when we got her, I do like the amount of air and low noise and energy consumption. The switch location is a bit of a pain, also if noisy, check blade balance.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Love this thread, great information. I have been thinking about adding a couple of 12v fans in the forward cabin. These would be as much for air circulation in the wet cold months as for the hot months.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
The switch location is a bit of a pain, also if noisy, check blade balance.
Great point! It's a small rocker switch on the back of the fan that is awkward. You have to push into the back of the fan to select Off-Lo-Hi. If it was a small flip switch that you could flip with the side of your finger vertically, it'd be much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Love this thread, great information. I have been thinking about adding a couple of 12v fans in the forward cabin. These would be as much for air circulation in the wet cold months as for the hot months.
My boat never sits idle without some air moving...dehumidifier, fan or heater and sometimes a combination of two. But it's always the stowable 120V tabletop gear now, not the 12V fans.

I ran my 748 for a few weeks and it started to make a wobble noise at low levels. If I bang it "just right" or adjust through the speeds, it stops. I think I wore it out for running it for weeks without a cool down.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote