CA Delta White Sturgeon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My pleasure, Ray!! Anytime.

It really was a great, memorable fishing trip for us all! I'd love to do it again anytime!

TJ, Keith Fraser is THE STURGEON GUY! I love listening to him talk about fishing. He's so passionate and animated. I learned a lot about sturgeon just from listening to him talk. I stopped by his bait shop in Loch Lomond last year for the first time. It's only about a 25 minute drive from our marina. What an experience!

Here's a great article on the guy. He's a straight shooter who tells it like it is.

You missed more catching, Kevin. Got a couple this week....35 inches and 62 inches. Both released.

Hope you're out there catching soon!!

Attachments

• 35 in sturgeon.jpg
    35 in sturgeon.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 62 in sturgeon.jpg
    62 in sturgeon.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 142
Al, you are on a roll man!! You got it, dialed in for sure. :thumb:

We will get there sooner, or later......my wife tells me to "stop complaining" :facepalm:

Kevin

Here ya go Al....Caught this 44incher on Sat. afternoon!

Attachments

• 20150919_123759.jpg
    20150919_123759.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 89
That's great, Kevin! Were you in Monte Sl/MBF or near Pittsburg?

I'm considering a trip to Rio Vista over Halloween with my fishing club. They'll be camping at Sandy Beach. I usually berth at Delta Marina, a mile away. I'm getting the itch to fish! Glad to see you're out there catching them.

What did it hit on?

Congratulations. Looks like enough to make 20 or more meals.

Thanks ........

We were in Antioch.....it hit on eel.

Just found this old thread of Ray's daughter, Jenny, catching her very first fish during our raft-up.

Got some new fish pics of a new personal best to post soon. A triple digit fish caught solo this year. (and I'm not counting in mm for my metric buddies)

Last edited:
Here's a taste of sturgeon fishing on the CA Delta with Gatecrasher Charters, one of our best local catch and release charter teams. This video captures the spirit of sturgeon fishing in my local waters.

Love it...I will be back in Oct. to search for the elusive "Sturgeon" :banghead:

Jenny caught the fishing fever after the sturgeon with FlyWright. Other than teaching 5th grade, that’s all she thinks about!

The sturgeon was caught and released last month in The California Delta and the rainbow trout was taken two days ago from the Walker River near Bridgeport, California. She caught the rainbow on a dry fly.

Attachments

• 4BFAD6F9-086F-4E04-A0E2-10FF24415262.jpg
    4BFAD6F9-086F-4E04-A0E2-10FF24415262.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 262A3B9F-41E6-4358-AF89-C913F48B0DC5.jpg
    262A3B9F-41E6-4358-AF89-C913F48B0DC5.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 53
I'm so proud of Jenny's fish catching prowess. She has become the "Anglerette" of stream, river, lake and ocean! I love that she has so gravitated to fishing as a sport and a respite.

I have a couple stories to tell about some recent big girls but will post them shortly. At the present time, I'm preoccupied prepping and provisioning for my first 2 week trip on my @DeltaBridges Project starting on or about July 1. I promise to post a followup on two personal best and boat record fish that nearly broke my back.

Here's a White Sturgeon caught just a few miles upriver from where we live.

11536868_10153239274138673_1793865568_n.jpg

According to the caption on the photo it was 11+ feet. There's some good eating in that baby.

Too majestic to eat...and not legal today either. We can't even take them out of the water. That's our breeding stock.

Too majestic to eat...and not legal today either. We can't even take them out of the water. That's our breeding stock.

True up here by GFC as well. The Columbia River slot for keeping is 42-60”. Everything else is to stay in the water.

Here's my new sturgeon tape for my Catch-Photo-Release. It will also help me to estimate fish size while in the water alongside the boat.

Our keeper slot is marked at 40 and 60". The double red line is 68" max take out of the water. The boat record is marked at 100".

Attachments

• Sturgeon Tape Measure.jpg
    Sturgeon Tape Measure.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 36
True up here by GFC as well. The Columbia River slot for keeping is 42-60”. Everything else is to stay in the water.
Ya know, I knew there were size restrictions for what you can keep, but not being a fisherman/fisherperson/fisher I didn't know what they are. :banghead:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom