Old 01-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #21

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
Haetwen
How did the subsequent buyer know to contact you?

tn6437, I am sure some disclosure would have to be posted for that type of thing. Like the information posted is assumed to be accurate and there are no guarantee the information has any basis. Again the Real Estate community does this frequently.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #22
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Menzies your experience is almost exactly the same as mine. I knew I wanted a GB 54 or 53 (same hull and length), one became available after a few months and we were hot to buy it. Did the survey at Dania both regular and engine, it came back with more than we wanted to deal with so with heavy heart we passed. I knew it would be years until another would become available. As luck would have it my broker had just sold a couple a new 60 GB and they were on their way home (west coast of Florida) after taking their boat to the Baltimore boat show and cruising the area.

Luck was with me, the boat was a 2015 GB 54 Europa, exactly what I was looking for, so once they boat was at their home dock I got my surveyors both boat and engine, broker and we went for a sea trial. Got the survey back and made an offer. I got the boat and have been happy even after spending $40K to get it my way.

BTW. Both surveys were given to the seller to help them correct the faults. So yes surveys are worth the time and money and don’t be afraid to pass on a purchase.

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: cincinnati
Vessel Name: deja vu
Vessel Model: 1987 senator 35 sundeck
kind of off the subject but is anyone familiar with morel fuel tanks ? i have been told they do not corrode or rust out.
tn6437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #24
Guru

tn. Do you mean monel? Plastic and fiberglass don’t either.

All have positives and negatives.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #25
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I have both the failed survey and the survey of the boat I bought on my web site.

I paid for them, they belong to me. A member on here subsequently bought the Sea Horse and we had a few emails on it and I also sent him a copy of the survey.

I also asked the broker on this site the $64,000 question. All listings on YachtWorld and elsewhere have the fine print that goes something like "The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel." So I asked him, now that the selling broker of the SeaHorse has a copy of the survey (which we gave to him in support of our reduced offer) and knows the issues does he have to now disclose in his listing and to future buyers. His answer was yes. But would he?

Sonas Surveys | AtAnchor.com
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #26
Guru

I gave mine to my broker so it could be showed to the seller. I left it like that but I would never put it on line for fear of a law suit which would be expensive to defend.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #27

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by action View Post
it is too bad there isn't a repository available for consumers, like car fax for automobiles, that is done for watercraft. Or at least watercraft over a certain dollar amount. Like yachts or ??? That past surveys or major events like insurance claims or wind events could be recorded for vessels.

In the case of menzies potential vessel purchase with the survey stated above i would assume the broker would go to market the same as before that survey. Requiring the next potential buyer to do the same. Wasting time, effort and a few dollars.
never trust a broker about anything
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Chicago
I have had several boats surveyed. Both surveyors were a waste of money. I know more than they did. I came down hard on the last surveyor and he gave me my money back. Bottom line is we have to do our homework first. Before I pay a surveyor I do a self survey and if I a, still interested I’ll find a surveyor. Trouble is finding a good one. Happy boating
Bigal6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #29

City: Hudson
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30
I've passed on a couple of deals because of spongy decks. Have been hoping for a while now that someone would try this product. If it works it would sure make the job a whole lot easier. https://injectadeck.com/
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Edenton, NC
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
I'm not a lawyer so don't take this as professional advice, but I don't think they could win a lawsuit against you unless they can prove the info you post is 1) inaccurate and 2) knowingly posted as inaccurate. So if you have a survey done and you post the survey online, they might sue you but shouldn't win.

An honest broker, if made aware of issues after a survey, is required to disclose the issues to future potential buyers. Doesn't mean they all will do that.

A good seller will have his own survey done and make it available. Whether you trust it or not is up to you. But if I were selling an expensive boat (say, 50k or more), I'd do that just to help sell the boat.
jimfrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #31
Guru

jimf

I think you missed my point. While in business I was sued many times and never lost but each suit cost me lots of money. A few times I countered that I won a judgement but was never paid the entire amount.

My opinion is to avoid law suits and lawyers so I never want to place myself or company in jeopardy.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Edenton, NC
Vessel Model: Nimble Wanderer
I'm with you 100%, the cost of defending yourself is too high to risk it. Not the way it should be, but that's the way it is. If we had a 'sue and lose, you pay the costs' system that would be different. And it would probably clear out the dockets, too!
jimfrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Ocala
Vessel Name: Renata
Vessel Model: 44' Marine Trader Twrlr
Good for you,
neither the seller or broker some of time could give a flying leap, or they refuse to disclose info.
I had a survey done, they reduced the price. For my next vessel or any of yours demand nicely from the broker any past surveys, if he or she says I donít know, then ask for the owners phone number. No number no sale. I did that and got the old survey but still had my own done.
We could always make them walk the plank.

Really, most people are honest, all vessels on the water need repairs and up keep.
Best to you all.
Yes , I still have a plank. Ha
Capt Richard A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:27 PM   #34

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: GB 52 Europa
Good surveys are very helpful if you are new to boating or you want a second opinion an a particular issue. After your 3rd or 4th boat they become less important. You'll still need a recent survey to satisfy insurance companies.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #35
Guru

The survey should find most of the problems with a boat assuming you have a good surveyor who should know the various problems of the boat you are considering purchasing, then the survey should give you a negotiating price to work for.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #36
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
The only survey I've ever purchased had specific language prohibiting anything like that.
"The survey purchasers specifically agree not to release nor reveal the survey report, nor any part thereof, to any party who may rely on the content. (Surveyor) agrees to furnish copies, as required, to financial and insurance concerns for the exclusive purposes of lending decisions and insurance underwriting. The survey purchasers agree not to reproduce, photocopy, nor quote the survey report, nor any part thereof."
With almost 5,000 surveys under my belt I would not hire sucha surveyor.
The survey is a product which you paid for and it's your right to do with as you wish .......... period.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot head View Post
well we were on the last few weeks of a deal on a Nova38 europa needing a little work I had had a good look but thought better get a survey well two weeks to go & the survey arrived, to my shock it was not good the hull below the water line was good no problems with the glass but some of the fittings needed replacing I knew this, next was the water line upto the the gunwales, not bad needing tidy up few chips etc all ok so far, then came the deck this is where it started the last owner had removed the teak decking filled all the holes & glased over the top thats ok but the wood core in the middle is rotten so I would have to cut the top layer off to replace the wood & then replace the top not good then we found the cabin has sagged due to two bulkheads being rotten on the port side another major the front cabins would have to be striped out to replace the bulkheads & the floor needed to be lifted to repair the lower water tank once done all would need to go back in but you would have to jack the body up & brace it while doing this ,then came the flybridge the floor in this had gone the same way as the deck so would have to be cut open as well all sounded a bit daunting to me so I walked away from the deal its a major rebuild
round two start looking again
Issues like those could be determined by laymen if they had know what to look for. I suggest you study Marine Survey 101 before you look at another boat. It could save you time and money.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:08 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haetwen View Post
Several years ago I had a survey performed on a boat that I had under contract. Ultimately I decided not to complete the purchase.

A subsequent buyer requested a copy of the survey. The surveyor told me that I owned the survey and I could do anything I wanted with it.

I sold the survey to the next buyer for half of the amount that I had paid for it.
As a surveyor I get those calls every few weeks, "hey I hear you surveyed this boat, can I buy a copy of the report". NO ! it belong to the person who commissioned it. I put them in contact with each other and it's up to them.