Old 01-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Also, I'd dump that CQR ASAP. Ours held once out of every three times but we have 20,000lbs on you and had the same weight CQR. We love our Rocna!
Quote:
I used CQR's for twenty five years of sailing and on trawlers. The first trawler also had a Bruce which I used in different anchorages as an alternative to the CQR. Both worked fine
See what I mean?
Old 01-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What anchor manufacturers recommend is all over the map. ARA recommends one size over what most would so if you go one size over that it would be fine for an old anchor (except a Danforth) but overkill for a HP anchor. So the question of size does not lend itself to a formula like 1# per foot of boat or any of the other "standards" that are out there. Still it's good to at least view what the manufacturer recommends. See what other manufacturers recommend for the same type/class of anchor. Pick a size and float it by the forum to see what others here are using. There's an extremely worn out saying here .... "bigger is better" but it's a sign of insecurity and a habit that leads to really big anchors.
One size over what a average group of manufacturers recommends may be a fairly good standard. One size over what TF members use is probably in excess of that. Your question really is a can of worms.

I think the recommendations in the Chapman book are good.

What's more important than size is how you use it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #23

City: Brentwood
Vessel Name: Miss Rita
Vessel Model: 2004 Heritage East
Full reply

That 1st reply was sent before I finished it, oops! Thanks for everybody's input. Yesterday I read approx. 20 Pages on Cruiser Forum discussing anchor, as well as other articles and u-tube vids! I am new at big boats, I have anchored this boat on the Tom bigbee and lakes, no real water, my anchor chain was probadly piled om top of my anchor! But my goal is boating in all water and I want to be prepared. ( old boy scout) The Mantus size chart for 30,000# boat for great than 50 kts, 65# . I just didn't want to get to big in case I have to pull up manually, but not too small in case of major storm. The CQR is going to be retired. Still have the Fortress 37. Thanks for everybody's help.
SteveandZoila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
What's more important than size is how you use it.

Are we still talking about anchors? I've been using that line in another context for over 30 years.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I've been using that line in another context for over 30 years.
Sooooo.... Since you were 50?
Old 01-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
No 20

I'm a grower not a shower

I'm an organic gardener you sick bastard

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #27
Guru

Craig,
That wasn't bait but I was sure I'd hear about that. Only took two posts.

S&Z,
Lets see a picture of your boat .... or you could just tell us whose avatar represents your boat .. windage wise.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #28
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
What anchor manufacturers recommend is all over the map. ARA recommends one size over what most would so if you go one size over that it would be fine for an old anchor (except a Danforth) but overkill for a HP anchor. So the question of size does not lend itself to a formula like 1# per foot of boat or any of the other "standards" that are out there. Still it's good to at least view what the manufacturer recommends. See what other manufacturers recommend for the same type/class of anchor.

I think that useful, maybe even to break down a little further.

Any given manufacturer's recommendation may or may not (maybe more likely the latter) to an anchor from a different manufacturer, even if of the same weight, or size.

OTOH, maybe some anchor designs can be aggregated into a "class?" for examination, and in that instance maybe some commonalities in size or weight recommendations may surface. (?)

Can't think of some example just now, but I think maybe there are a couple similar roll-bar/scoop anchors? Maybe a couple non-roll-bar/scoop anchors? Maybe some plows -- hinged CQR or one-piece Delta -- that are close enough to compare like that?

If so, maybe comparison of makers' recommendation would be useful.

Or not.

OTOH, comparing a Rocna to a Fortress (for example) would be really much more like apples and oranges... so the weight of one wouldn't likely be at all related to the weight of the other. Maybe size (physical dimensions) could work, but that starts turning into work...

Have to admit, I'm happy to realize an anchor manufacturer has way more experience with their product than I do... so their recommendations are usually my first stop.

-Chris
Old 01-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandZoila View Post
That 1st reply was sent before I finished it, oops! Thanks for everybody's input. Yesterday I read approx. 20 Pages on Cruiser Forum discussing anchor, as well as other articles and u-tube vids! I am new at big boats, I have anchored this boat on the Tom bigbee and lakes, no real water, my anchor chain was probadly piled om top of my anchor! But my goal is boating in all water and I want to be prepared. ( old boy scout) The Mantus size chart for 30,000# boat for great than 50 kts, 65# . I just didn't want to get to big in case I have to pull up manually, but not too small in case of major storm. The CQR is going to be retired. Still have the Fortress 37. Thanks for everybody's help.
My take on the anchor size get one that will work well in ordinary conditions not overweight or with modern light anchors oversized. Keep one or two good aluminum high holding anchors to deploy from dinghy in challenging conditions. You already have the fortress for that. I carry a fortress and a aluminum spade as my back up anchors. I see no need to strain gear with an oversized anchor for the usual conditions which commonly entail a protected anchorage in light to moderate wind with possible wind shifts which a good normal sized anchor should handle. An oversized anchor is exactly that oversized.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #30
Guru

Eyeshulman,
For what you use aluminum anchors I use a steel 13lb Danforth. A steel Danforth is still a lightweight anchor. And very hand deployable up to a point well above my size boat/anchor. But probably your size boat would almost require aluminum. Rocnas hold very well and a very small (8lbsfor my boat .. 15lbs for yours) would also do basically what you're talking about. Also I think one should have a hand deploy anchor and rode aboard any boat until it becomes not practical.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #31
Guru

I have a 44' sundeck cruiser. 40000 lbs I bought a 105 pound mantus. if I had to do it again I would buy the 85 pound
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #32

Picture of Miss Rita

Let's see if you are able to view picture
Attached Thumbnails
Miss Rita.jpg  
Old 01-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #33
Guru

Ranger,
I meant very comparable like Supreme and Rocna, Boss and Vulcan, Davis and Delta.
But many anchors are unique enough not to be part of a group.
Also I question if "roll bar" anchors should be called roll bar anchors.
The roll bar only functions as a setting device. The roll bar dosn't identify the anchor as a basic type. You can call a PU truck an automatic but that only identifies the transmission .. it's still a PU truck. Those anchors usually refered to as roll bar anchors are mostly (or entirely) scoop or plow anchors. And of course anchors like the Delta are plow anchors that use ballast as a setting aid ... like the first plow (CQR). Of course there are scoop anchors like the Max that don't look like the other scoop anchors .. but they are still scoop anchors. The Max is another anchor that stands by itself. No other brand is similar enough for comparison.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #34
Guru

Oh great Steve,
And the pic tells a lot about what you need for an anchor. Oversized because you have oversized windage. So look for an anchor that is both a high holding power (HHP) anchor, large and a bit heavier than most would use for your size boat.

You must be about "good to go" on this now.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #35

Size

Do you think 65# Mantus with 150' of 3/8 chain plus 3/4 nylon rope will do it?
Old 01-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #36
Guru

Buying new Anchor

Quote:

I do. But I am also the one that wants you to keep your old one for a while.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #37
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
I'm shocked I tell you, shocked! 24 hours on an anchor thread and only 36 comments:-)
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #38

Thanks

I will keep it, all 45#s of iron. I will place my order for the mantus tomorrow. Thanks to all members input.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #39
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Congrats and good luck with the new boat! We are looking forward to cruising the TN River valley in the next few years.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #40
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

According to the Mantus website, that should be fine until our get some very high winds. Before you order, check out the size of the anchor to ensure that it will fit on the bow and your anchor roller can take the weight.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote