Old 06-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Thumbs up Butdedale Coming Along

In 2019 we noticed heavy equipment on shore clearing all the rotten buildings and stuff. Saw this in the online Waggoner today. Would be awesome if they got additional support and/or investors to complete the project.

https://waggonerguide.com/careful-se...-for-butedale/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Everett
Vessel Name: LIBERTY
Vessel Model: TOLLY 48
Hi ASD,

I sure hope the developers didn't get far with their ripping and clearing of the land and existing structures to date. The charm of Butedale for many, many years has always been it's "going back to nature" presence on the Bay. Simply ripping down the old, and leaving a scarred and denuded landscape for the eagles and bears to admire may be the ultimate best use for the property, but means a truly iconic reminder of history for the rest of us is lost forever.

With the current pandemic, your posted link to the Waggoner promotion (and their not so subtle request for $$ to complete their idea) seems like yet another attempt to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Yeah, I'll just bet Inside Passage Marine Corp hopes to snag some chump bozillionaire with more money than brains, and the ability to cling to the hope that the pandemic will go away in time for him/her to realize their dreams. Good luck with that....

Sigh. Modern man seems convinced they have a better idea, and it seems to always start with a bulldozer.

Regards,

Pete
jungpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
We visited Butedale for an overnight stay in the summer of 2018. While there, we met the very friendly and accomodating owners who were hard at work redeveloping. While in some ways, I agree with you Pete, the buildings were very dilapidated and literally unsafe. I don't know how the bay could be redeveloped in a way where they could be "conserved" without a great deal of added expense.

For example, we had an old firehall in the department where I worked. We needed to rebuild it to fit modern fire apparatus and current and future staffing needs. However, the building had been declared a heritage building and we had to save the outside shell. We did. At great added cost we preserved the outward appearance, and ended up with a "new" firehall that did not meet our needs (but we could "make it work") and cost at least double what a complete rebuild would have been.

Personally, I wish them luck, but to complete the proposed development will require lots and lots of money, and I wonder at the ability of this operation to "pay back" these costs??
Leave it to nature some might say. Well there is alot of nature for miles and miles all around this area. Having one facility available in this area to me would probably enhance the experience and ability to enjoy the area. Like me, for some, the freshwater is a big plus.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well crap, an advertisement ? Hey Admins, if inappropriate, please delete.

In 2019 most of the buildings were gone., bare dirt. Caretaker's cabin still there.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Hope they keep the net loft.