Busted zinc removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ralphyost

Vessel Name
Say GoodBye
Vessel Make
21 Mako
Can anyone suggest a method to remove the threaded part of a zinc annode that is busted off inside the brass bolt head that holds the zinc?

thanks
R.

A propane torch (plumbers torch) works great. Hold with a pair of pliers or vise grips and heat. The old zinc melts out.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Melaque, Jalisco, MX

Ok thanks. that confirms what I was thinking of trying yesterday. Just wanted to hear that it had been done by someone else first.
R.

One thing to try is smacking a groove in it with a cold chisel so that you can use a big flat blade screwdriver to try to unscrew it.

If that fails, mix a 50/50 solution of muriatic (hydrochloric) acid and water (always add acid to water, NEVER the other way around) and it'll dissolve the zinc overnight.

Or buy a new plug or two*for a few bucks - lots cheaper than a torch*to keep on your boat

Everett marina sells the base bolt/plugs.* Are you moored in Everett?*

Hey tom
I agree but I am doing this from home in my shop. I have a bag of old zinc caps that have been collected on my boat over the years and thought I would try to make some use of them.
One fellow suggested muriatic acid. I have the torch but not the acid so I will try the torch first.
R.

Ralph:

I have successfully removed them when busted off flush with the bronze, just by driling into the zinc and working them around with a skinny screwdriver. Usually the zinc is really soft by teh time it busts off that close.

Good suggestion....some of them are harder than others, probably representing various age and sacrificial life.

I just played with the torch for a while and got most of them cleared. Only burnt my thumb once LOL !

The torch method does not clean out the thread real well. Takes a lot of heat...more than I suspected when I started.

Would like to try muriatic acid next time and see how well that does. Certainly its less work.

R.

"Only burnt my thumb once LOL "

Ya done well there boy!!
biggrin.gif

Hey at least I only burnt the LEFT thumb and not the right !
R.

<h1>OK Ralph- keep it up and Baker may move the post to OTDE !
smile.gif
</h1>

I use, after drilling out the residue, a very stiff bristle , round wire brush, about 3/8" diam., to clean out the threads.
It's a relic from the days when I could afford some Snap on stuff. I've seen similar brushes elsewhere though.

Then an old *tap I ground off the end to produce a M.M.(mickey mouse)*version of a bottoming tap.

-- Edited by C lectric on Monday 6th of December 2010 05:05:05 PM

For a stiff round wire brush use a copper fitting cleaning brush. Local plumbing supply houses, hardware stores or the big box stores have them. You can also cut the handle off and chuck them in a drill.

Rob
37' Sedan

Back
Top Bottom