Business is good, don't bother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...and you're working or other obligations...or you have nearby anchorages. It's all about what works for you.

Besides, there's a lot more fun that occurs after engine shutdown that never shows on the hour meter.

The boat I had before, was 18 years old, and had 700 hours on the motor, and 2700 hours on the generator when I bought it. It spent a lot more time anchored out than it did moving. :D

Heck, many larger boat owners I know, use the big boats less and less...too much trouble to only go 10 or 12 miles, then back....

So they buy a little boat and use that to boat and the big one becomes the dockominium.

That is soooo true!

Before moving deep into SF Delta... nearly a decade ago... when docking for some years in San Rafael [just off SF Bay] in a cool little marina having 150+/- slips. We were one of the few that ever left our slips, and we did so quite often. Harbor Master used to marvel that we actually used our boats [1973 Uniflite sedan and our current Tollycraft tri cabin].

Since then, while docking 100 miles away in Stockton on SF Delta we are again one of the few boats that fairly often go out. The rest either never leave the dock or if they do so it's just to move to a different marina.

Many of the [as you termed it "dockominium"] sitting boats have not been started for years; even past a decade or more. Many of the boats always sitting idle are actually never even visited. There are three in our group of undercover 18 slips that have 2009 registration stickers. In over 9 years I've only seen one of them visited... once... 7 years ago. Managing Harbor Master says they all are always paid up... go figure why some idiot would bother to own and pay for a boat in such a way???

Interesting side note [from resident mechanic shop]: One of the three boats mentioned above [a 30 +/- foot sneaker shaped planing hull] currently with 09 stickers was docked in its slip since brand new in 2002. Evidentially the owners took it out a few times the first year and once or twice the second year. Then they let the boat sit non visited and completely non started/used for several years. So... suddenly in 2009, about a week before 4th O' July, the owner calls and tells the mechanic to get his boat started for the vacation. Mechanic bothers to go aboard to see what that would entail. He also bothers to write-up a repair slip. Included were - new batteries, gas tank emptying/cleaning/refilling, carburetor/injector cleaning and other such items. Total estimate came to well over two thousand $$$ and the fact that mechanic was too busy to get the boat ready for the 4th. That is the last time the owners were heard from. I bet hat boat has not 100 hours use. And, man is she ever filthy! However, probably a pretty good boat under the dirt seeing as it is on the lee side of a covered dock. Although... the boat's metal parts might be toast due to no anode service.

Some boat owners are simply nuts!! :facepalm: :rofl: :D

go figure why some idiot would bother to own and pay for a boat in such a way???
Accountant writing the check, owner paying for the status of ownership only.

Too much silly money in our society. . .

Accountant writing the check, owner paying for the status of ownership only.

Too much silly money in our society. . .

I understand accountant writing check or maybe a charge card number accepting monthly charges forever... but... status of ownership for a boat tooooo neglected and filthy to even board with no chance of ever starting it to go out without spending at least a few boat-bucks! I call that crazy! :facepalm: :nonono:

You're correct regarding the "silly money" statement. :thumb:

I also call it stupid-people-money! :lol:

I would rate boat brokerage in general, with used car sales / residential siding / paving and eves trough .... ::) try to locate the owner if you can and deal direct ........ fb

Good point, and that's what I usually do.

Back
Top Bottom