Buoy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems to me that if you do not like the English "boy" pronunciation then it should be "boo-oy" which if you swallow the 'oo" sound comes out close to "boy". Do not see how to get to "boo-eee". To each his own, but main thing is to make sure you know where they are and do not hit one!!

Yes, I think you've nailed it!! BWOY it is!!! Minimal pronunciation of the "u" sound.

Boy oh boy you foreigners speak funny. If someone over here called it a booee everyone would think you were talking about a knife (as in booee knife) :D

If I was good at math I'd be an actual engineer, instead of "really mechanically inclined".

Well, impossible to be more than two syllables and less than one. I think perhaps you meant more than one and less than two.

Now, for us, it's boo-ee. If for no other reason, I'd prefer that simply to avoid any confusion with boy.

Boy oh boy you foreigners speak funny. If someone over here called it a booee everyone would think you were talking about a knife (as in booee knife) :D

Bow-ee knife

bwoy (sort of).

Or David Bowie. Boy does just fine here.

Well, impossible to be more than two syllables and less than one. I think perhaps you meant more than one and less than two.

Now, for us, it's boo-ee. If for no other reason, I'd prefer that simply to avoid any confusion with boy.

What I mean and what I say are often wildly disparate.

I use Boo-ee. Probably a better pronunciation over the radio in an emergency, "you need to leave that boo-ee to port!"

Ted

At least one, but usually two syllables. Boy//Bu-wee

Always fit as heard from from travels, Fl up to MD and from CA to WA and into Canada. Depends on where and who you are talking to.

Last edited:
What I mean and what I say are often wildly disparate.

I understand. It is common for me to think west and mean east, as well as saying north and meaning south.

In my area of the south we pronounce boy as bah E and buoy as bew we.

This discussion sounds like a good basis for a song. It could be about the way one says potatoes or tomatoes. Oh wait - that might already have been done.
We have got way too much time on our hands.
Have a great New Year folks.
For us with “hard” water we are looking forward to spring. For the southern folks, enjoy the evening.

Back
Top Bottom