Brrrrr - First real wintery blast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
-13 celsius here, but what a beautiful sky, the moon is so bright and shiny it is wonderful. The sky up here is something that alway amaze me, so wide, so wonderful colors, it makes me vry humble.

Murray: I see you still have a storm warning in effect for Douglas Channel. We've got a gale warning for Howe Sound today, but it's supposed to be outflow 35-45 on Monday.

Currently snowing heavily. View from the deck.

Image1481401621.295474.jpg

I'm up at work where it is -32C (-26F) with wind chill greater than -40C (-40F).

Can't really work outside for more than 45 minutes comfortably.

The cold stuff doesn't normally come until January. Little early this year.

Murray: I see you still have a storm warning in effect for Douglas Channel. We've got a gale warning for Howe Sound today, but it's supposed to be outflow 35-45 on Monday.

Currently snowing heavily. View from the deck.

View attachment 59465

Nice view :thumb:

Things are slowing down a bit here (-9C with 25 knot gusts) but the storm/freezing spray warning is still up tonight.

-32C is arse puckering cold!

Douglas Channel
STORM WARNING IN EFFECT
FREEZING SPRAY WARNING IN EFFECT
Issued 10:30 AM PST 11 December 2016
Today Tonight and Monday
Storm warning in effect.
Wind northeasterly outflow 40 to 50 knots diminishing to northeasterly outflow 25 to 35 near noon Monday.

This has been a long one...currently -13C with 30 knot gusts.

Got some high cloud moving in from the Pacific, so things should start settling down...

Temperature still above freezing in Badger and just a couple grommets in the tarps got ripped out. Bracing for snow!

Murray it's up to 40F now here but Monday night it's to be 19F again. Putting some heaters in the boat tomorrow.

Still haven't got my Wabasto running. Trying to figure out what color wires go to what terminals. May get it figured out tonight and git-er-goi'n tomorrow.

Hi Eric,

Still more coming your way this AM.

Currently -13C with 37 knot gusts this morning. Forecast for more all week long;

Wednesday
Wind northeasterly outflow 25 to 35 knots increasing to northeasterly outflow 35 to 45 late in the day.
Thursday
Wind northeasterly outflow 35 to 45 knots.
Friday
Wind northeasterly outflow 35 to 45 knots diminishing to northeasterly outflow 25 late in the day.
Must be amazing right now in Gardner Canal with ice on the cliffs...

Sydney
today: 36C coast -39C western suburbs
tonight: overnight 25C
tomorrow: much like today, late cool change likely

Sydney
today: 36C coast -39C western suburbs
tonight: overnight 25C
tomorrow: much like today, late cool change likely

Dont you just love a warm day @39c sitting around the duck-board sipping ice cold beers and a BBQ swimming in crystal clear water 25k from Sydney Anything under 24c is winter how dose one put up with living in under O conditions months on end :hide: Friends have asked us to visit them this week up in the country NSW its going to be 45c this week we will need extra beers for the trip :socool: :D

Douglas Channel
GALE WARNING IN EFFECT
Issued 04:00 AM PST 13 December 2016
Today Tonight and Wednesday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northeasterly outflow 25 to 35 knots becoming northeasterly outflow 20 to 30 early this evening.
Hey, I think things are calming down (currently -14C and 25 knot gusts) it's the first time in over a week I can't hear the wind from inside our house :thumb:

How can we live with winter for months? Because it's beautiful, and vital to the temperate rain forest & north coast marine ecosystems I love so much!

Attachments

• Snow - Swan St.jpg
    Snow - Swan St.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Snow - buried houses.jpg
    Snow - buried houses.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Snow - Mnt & Buried houses.jpg
    Snow - Mnt & Buried houses.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Snow - Douglas Channel.jpg
    Snow - Douglas Channel.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 79
Yes we have strong, cold outflow winds today in Howe Sound. The winds are passing outside of our community. They might bring on the freezing spray warning this evening. We had them last week.

IMG_1618.JPG

Jim

Hey, I think things are calming down (currently -14C and 25 knot gusts) it's the first time in over a week I can't hear the wind from inside our house :thumb:

How can we live with winter for months? Because it's beautiful, and vital to the temperate rain forest & north coast marine ecosystems I love so much!

Really beautiful blanket of snow on the trees. What Northern and astern ° "
is this winter pictures? Do you have " midnight sun " for summer? :hello:

Thanks Murray for the update.
It's supposed to be 10F Friday. Need to put more heat in the boat and garage. At the boat only down to 20. Relief comes Sunday.
When I looked at the 10 degree report I thought of you up north.
Hey that first pic looks like the tree is exploding. #2 shows the wind has been there.
Today is OK .. we go shopping.

Really beautiful blanket of snow on the trees. What Northern and astern ° "
is this winter pictures? Do you have " midnight sun " for summer? :hello:

We're at 54 degrees north so not quite a midnight sun in the summer, but it doesn't really get dark at night. At this time of year the sun rises above the eastern mountains after I get to work, and sets behind the western mountains before I finish my letter carrier route.

This morning and yesterday the ocean was steaming because it was so warm compared to the air.

Thanks Murray for the update.
It's supposed to be 10F Friday. Need to put more heat in the boat and garage. At the boat only down to 20. Relief comes Sunday.
When I looked at the 10 degree report I thought of you up north.
Hey that first pic looks like the tree is exploding. #2 shows the wind has been there.
Today is OK .. we go shopping.

Hi Eric,

No wonder your temperatures are so close to ours...never looked up where Concrete Washington was before. Looks like nice country.

Do you have a good angle on Mt Baker? Here's a friendly tip for you; if Baker starts burping...skedaddle your butt outta there!!!!!!!!!

In Come By Chance 700km NW Sydney was 30c all night will hit 46c today :D Not predicting snow this Christmas
42807158.jpg

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,5gQh094Zng-DvjGcoFDguRWcNePd3FJARUjphmCvHLSpEuVasqSZvKyUSCX0pSfqy8u8bLKz7mpZFtP7pLhRrTlYstgDXCgJBuu_t_MvjM0jYsSL2ONfP8YvWzJTACEa3zHX4E7zf2b2WrOr0iaglPs,A0WieLOLOzwxMenk7A89FavgRK1CFPRxbXWnCuTeVmCTcQFga1AOt9sE-4IM5d4RyM6hmEWn3WxEtDgCboI_UNQuAECx8kUrnMh-4k59GpgumITxC3Zs6zdoDfmmL0ru7gg0EH2DbEGIeonmdNdJEfVce8jXIJ9lRRmUdEUb-B3nL_SCgfTe4e7yVFwKI4TIB1sNrVdrkk2KXLsYsQCabvc4-G38pnzxQwK4X4R35Wpn8kaGcoYgtL7yaIbu7rZTWKJ9a5im6S3arNwfoxSlYsK1BF1w06lBly7BH8e6dVnI8ylFTP9H6nz3in0QB9Umt1zzJjXyspgALS-2Z7iD_MMK007TAEkENYvHKuvZV0iYHFXPBVDiVp6G6B188aOTmxfNZUkLeEFdgVD5Y3CfLWGVUQkt-WSFs7UnKbOcVVRE6VzoNHwd8S6w

Overnight minimum in Sydney was 28C. Amazing. 38C predicted today.
Fortunately I spent the early evening at a Xmas bbq for a small boating Club, held waterside at the RANSA (Royal Aust Naval Sailing Assn) Clubhouse on Rushcutters Bay. The CYCA (Cruising Yacht Club of Aust)which runs the Sydney-Hobart, is right next door.
Apologies for the warm intrusion.

Overnight minimum in Sydney was 28C. Amazing. 38C predicted today.
Fortunately I spent the early evening at a Xmas bbq for a small boating Club, held waterside at the RANSA (Royal Aust Naval Sailing Assn) Clubhouse on Rushcutters Bay. The CYCA (Cruising Yacht Club of Aust)which runs the Sydney-Hobart, is right next door.
Apologies for the warm intrusion.

Wifey B: Northern Australia, such as Sydney, is my kind of climate. :):)

Wifey B: Northern Australia, such as Sydney, is my kind of climate. :):)
Sydney is not north, in the southern third I`d say.
Gets warmer as you go north, once you pass the Tropic of Capricorn it gets hot. Darwin, in the Northern Territory, is monsoonal, as if in Asia. Which I suppose it is.

We're at 54 degrees north so not quite a midnight sun in the summer, but it doesn't really get dark at night. At this time of year the sun rises above the eastern mountains after I get to work, and sets behind the western mountains before I finish my letter carrier route.

This morning and yesterday the ocean was steaming because it was so warm compared to the air.

you have I slept yet the mountains which overshadow a little bit.

I myself live north of 60 ° 30 'here in the midnight sun, such as the setting sun.

This night the brightness brings a huge amount of different birds from all over the world come here to make babies. North US apparently the same? It's a really cool after the winter, only a few species lives at all times.

We sea was already thin ice. unfortunately, the boating season is short max. 6-7 months of the year due to weather ° -C.

I also hope that it snows here, it is beautiful and makes everything so bright. currently only darkness where the sun rises, it is only 6 hours and it does not rise very high zenith perhaps 13 ° angle

Sydney is not north, in the southern third I`d say.
Gets warmer as you go north, once you pass the Tropic of Capricorn it gets hot. Darwin, in the Northern Territory, is monsoonal, as if in Asia. Which I suppose it is.

Wifey B: Well, not Melbourne then. It gets cold. :)

Wifey B: Well, not Melbourne then. It gets cold. :)
Melbourne( Melboring, as it may called in Sydney:)), can famously have "four seasons in one day". It gets cold, wet, misty.....Set on a muddy waterway called the Yarra river, has a strange "harbour" known as Port Philip Bay, with tortuous channels to the open sea.
There,that`s put intercity relations back 100 years.
Lots of rivalry between the 2 cities. Melbourne claims to be a more sophisticated city, probably right, Sydney is more brassy and "in your face". And warmer.

Melbourne( Melboring, as it may called in Sydney:)), can famously have "four seasons in one day". It gets cold, wet, misty.....Set on a muddy waterway called the Yarra river, has a strange "harbour" known as Port Philip Bay, with tortuous channels to the open sea.
There,that`s put intercity relations back 100 years.
Lots of rivalry between the 2 cities. Melbourne claims to be a more sophisticated city, probably right, Sydney is more brassy and "in your face". And warmer.

I was in Sydney years ago on business for about 3 weeks. An Australian girl who had been to the US many times compared Melbourne to the NE US and Sydney to the South. Interesting that as climate flips it seems pace and personalities also do. Makes you wonder if climate has an influence.

For the further entertainment of our hot Australian friends :D

Douglas Channel
GALE WARNING IN EFFECT
Issued 10:30 AM PST 14 December 2016
Today Tonight and Thursday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northeasterly outflow 25 to 35 knots.

Currently, at midday, it's -11C and gusting 25 knots.

It's weird this time. Normally there's a big counter clockwise rotating system which drags cold air down to us from the Gulf of Alaska. Seems the arctic air is dropping straight down the coast this time, and holding back clouds in the Pacific that want to come this way;

North Pacific - IR (10.7 µm) - Environment Canada

Wifey B: You dudes are making me shiver with all the ice age talk. 82 degrees in Paradise. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom