Bromine tablets in sea strainers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The copper does nothing in the strainer. And I don’t know why. In the summer I grew barnacles on the copper elbows I had in the strainer in less than two weeks

QUOTE=AnsleyS;993123]One can also try putting a copper pipe piece or copper elbow etc in the strainer. Copper is less corrosive than halogens.[/QUOTE]

Responding to this older message in the thread:

Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I would think the through hull opening would plug up first.
Never saw it happen.

I can tell you that we ABSOLUTELY have zebra muscles in Lake Travis choke thru hulls. Several years ago, I never worried about it. That was before zebra muscles took over the lake. Now I have to have a diver scrub the bottom on a regular basis (quarterly - and some do it monthly).

Bottom paint is VERY effective at keeping them off, which is the GOOD news.
Boats with true inboards do much better than I/O boats.

Zebra muscles will definitely attach to the outdrives, trim tabs, shafts, supports for swim platforms, and as indicated above - they will definitely clog up thru-hulls.

I'm still mixed on using bromine tablets. I'd be more willing to try it on the AC sea strainer first. My thru-hulls are marelon, the hose is plastic, the plumbing in the AC should be copper - and is far enough upstream that lack of light would HOPEFULLY prevent growth up there...

If the bromine tablets would dissolve important things - the AC system would be much easier and cheaper to replace than the engine! Though again, since the AC system is so simple (and probably all copper) - the result of bromine on the engine might be MUCH worse than the result of using it on an AC system.

I've heard that a small copper strip will work.

Or a short section of copper ground wire, bend it in a loop and drop it in the sea strainer. It will kill all invertebrates since copper is deadly to shellfish.

We buy copper scrubbies @~ a buck apiece on ebay -Chore Boy, from many vendors.

Pure copper, not plated.

Won't help on mud but keeps all the rest of the growth nonexistent...

I used bromine for the two AC systems. Once per year. The third year I noticed my aluminum strainer was developing holes on the bottom of it. The bromine did the trick. The first year I used it there was a very noticeable improvement in cooling right after I ran a tablet through. As with anything, probably best to do it in a measured way.

Back
Top Bottom