Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #121
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
We are on the move.
The bulk of the weather has passed over. Headed to turtle cove in tarpon springs.
__________________
Advertisement

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #122
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
We are on the move.
The bulk of the weather has passed over. Headed to turtle cove in tarpon springs.
Got a bucket handy for those 'other' special boating moment?
Yea yea, you can tell me, you have never been seasick to which I will respond, "yet"
__________________

__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #123
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
We are on the move.
The bulk of the weather has passed over. Headed to turtle cove in tarpon springs.
What? I think you may very well change your minds by the time you get to Clearwater.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #124
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Got a bucket handy for those 'other' special boating moment?
Yea yea, you can tell me, you have never been seasick to which I will respond, "yet"
SO FAR, Iíve only been seasick once In my life. That was on a charter fishing trip in Hawaii. I brought Bonine along just in case.
The bay has a little chop. Weíre cruising at 18 knots.
Itís just a little bit windy....
Attached Thumbnails
F004B76A-EE2D-4B4C-9234-F056DE58CC1A.jpg   DD1B6A45-7912-4016-B6ED-5FD076A5C09D.jpg   29E764D9-7736-4B90-BA3E-76DED42A6E41.jpg  
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #125
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
SO FAR, I’ve only been seasick once In my life. That was on a charter fishing trip in Hawaii. I brought Bonine along just in case.
The bay has a little chop. We’re cruising at 18 knots.
It’s just a little bit windy....
LOL
This condition can be cured with a stylish hat or a bucket with eye holes
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #126
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,752
18 knots? I hope the sea is not on the beam.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #127
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
18 knots? I hope the sea is not on the beam.
We have roads on Louisiana that are more rough to drive over. Lol
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #128
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
We have roads on Louisiana that are more rough to drive over. Lol
Oh? You have roads in Louisiana now?
That's a big improvement!!
TEASE
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #129
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Tampa Bay is quite a bit more rough. We’ve taken spray up in the flybridge several times.
Only problem I have is that I’m freezing and I hate to be cold. I have on long pants, a long sleeve shirt, a fleece jacket, and David’s rain jacket on top of that cause his is thicker than mine. Oh and I’m wrapped in a big beach towel.
What’s david wearing you ask? Shorts and short sleeve shirt! He’s insane.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #130
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,752
Stay safe.
Now you have even more confidence in the boat and your skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
What’s david wearing you ask? Shorts and short sleeve shirt! He’s insane.
You must have known that before you married him. Or is that why you married him or the reason he married you?

Side note: In the Great Lakes, some ocean going captains swear they will never return to the GL because they get and stay sea sick until after the leave the GLs
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #131
Guru
 
seasalt007's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
We are on the move.
The bulk of the weather has passed over. Headed to turtle cove in tarpon springs.
Once your turn out of the river stick to the middle of the channel into Turtle Cove. There are big fishing boats along the channel but the deep area is pretty narrow.

Hope you like Greek Food. Hella's is our favorite.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #132
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Tampa Bay is quite a bit more rough. Weíve taken spray up in the flybridge several times.
Only problem I have is that Iím freezing and I hate to be cold. I have on long pants, a long sleeve shirt, a fleece jacket, and Davidís rain jacket on top of that cause his is thicker than mine. Oh and Iím wrapped in a big beach towel.
Whatís david wearing you ask? Shorts and short sleeve shirt! Heís insane.

I hope you are also wearing your PFDs.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #133
Senior Member
 
City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post

Hope you like Greek Food. Hella's is our favorite.
Mama's or Dimitri's for dinner and Hellas for the bakery and a coffee!
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #134
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
Once your turn out of the river stick to the middle of the channel into Turtle Cove. There are big fishing boats along the channel but the deep area is pretty narrow.

Hope you like Greek Food. Hella's is our favorite.
Thanks...will do.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #135
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
We made it to turtle cove. Had to dock bow in which means I can’t get on and off the boat. Thankfully, the nice people in the Jefferson 42’ next to us have a ladder.
We had a ladder in the engine room on our other boat, didn’t think about one for this one. Hmmm.

It was a cold windy day. I’m glad to be docked now. Going in search of a drink...hopefully that will help us thaw out!

We did have one casualty...I’ll post a pic later....it’s on my phone.
Oh, and I almost ran us aground. I’ll type that story later when I can feel my fingers again. Lol

Sarasota bay was choppy, Tampa bay was nasty, and whatever that is just before you come into the anclote river was pretty yuck. We were rocking and rolling. But we, and the boat, are all in one piece. Well, except for the one casualty. It’s in a lot of pieces. Lol
No way I could ever live up north!!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #136
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
We made it to turtle cove. Had to dock bow in which means I canít get on and off the boat. Thankfully, the nice people in the Jefferson 42í next to us have a ladder.
We had a ladder in the engine room on our other boat, didnít think about one for this one. Hmmm.

It was a cold windy day. Iím glad to be docked now. Going in search of a drink...hopefully that will help us thaw out!

We did have one casualty...Iíll post a pic later....itís on my phone.
Oh, and I almost ran us aground. Iíll type that story later when I can feel my fingers again. Lol

Sarasota bay was choppy, Tampa bay was nasty, and whatever that is just before you come into the anclote river was pretty yuck. We were rocking and rolling. But we, and the boat, are all in one piece. Well, except for the one casualty. Itís in a lot of pieces. Lol
No way I could ever live up north!!
Wifey B: You need to go sometime to a ski store like Academy Sports and buy a coat and a toboggan/head cover thing. They carry Columbia but they have another great brand much cheaper and we all have them and wore them to Alaska, up the Erie, you name it. Also the toboggan like thing that will cover your entire face if you choose to, except your eyes. Amazing how a relatively light coat can keep you warm. Designed for cross country skiing I think. I hate cold too.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #137
Veteran Member
 
StarsMan's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: Cruisers Yachts SS 5000
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 85
Made it to tarpon springs. Got here right about 7:30. And what a ride!! Sarasota bay had a heavy chop. No sweat. Then we hit Tampa bay and holy crap!! Easy 5+ footer rollers back to back with 3+ foot chop all moving in different directions. We were pitching and rolling and rising and diving all at the same time. Got through that and into the ICW proper to Clearwater. Bunch of bridges. Narrow channels with 2 ft of water outside the channel. Then we hit the Tarpon Springs inlet which is basically open gulf. Holy crap again only maybe a little worse than Tampa bay. Easily 8s on the rollers and chop. At least things were moving generally in the same direction. Finally we got into the calm of the river and idled upriver to turtle cove marina.
StarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #138
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: You need to go sometime to a ski store like Academy Sports and buy a coat and a toboggan/head cover thing. They carry Columbia but they have another great brand much cheaper and we all have them and wore them to Alaska, up the Erie, you name it. Also the toboggan like thing that will cover your entire face if you choose to, except your eyes. Amazing how a relatively light coat can keep you warm. Designed for cross country skiing I think. I hate cold too.
I definitely need one of those head cover things. I actually have one at home somewhere. I only brought a ball cap with me on this trip. I would have lost it today for sure. Iím going to go to Walmart and buy me a thick throw blanket I can wrap up in up on the flybridge. It didnít help that spray was coming up and wetting us. Lol
We are at Rust Bellies restaurant. It was the closest thing we found with signs of life. We got here just in time to be seated before they closed. The walk here was sooooo cold.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #139
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
There is a dishwasher in the galley. That space could have been used for two drawers or a cabinet...that would have been much more useful. Heck we mostly eat on paper plates. I’ll likely very rarely use the dishwasher.
So therefore I had to store surplus stuff down in the little berth.
Interesting.

When we looked at the galley on Sonas we saw the trash compactor and thought the same thing. Thought about having the yard rip it out and put in some drawers.

What a mistake that would have been. We use the thing daily, if not more. When in a locale where there are very few trash receptacles and you have to store your trash in the lazarette until you get to one, it is a Godsend!

Same with the dishwasher. We thought "would we really use that." Well if you use your dishwasher at home, you are going to be using equivalent dishes on board, so just get used to filling it up and putting it on every other day or so.

Paper plates? Why? Especially when you have guests on board - do you really want to be plonking paper plates down? Also you will be creating mountains of trash. Maybe not an issue in the States, but in the Islands....

You have a nice boat. Get some high quality Corelle.

https://theboatgalley.com/unbreakable-boat-dishes/

And if you haven't got Carolyn's book yet - put it on your Christmas list and sign up for her email updates. It is good stuff.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #140
Guru
 
Star0210's Avatar
 
City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Interesting.

When we looked at the galley on Sonas we saw the trash compactor and thought the same thing. Thought about having the yard rip it out and put in some drawers.

What a mistake that would have been. We use the thing daily, if not more. When in a locale where there are very few trash receptacles and you have to store your trash in the lazarette until you get to one, it is a Godsend!

Same with the dishwasher. We thought "would we really use that." Well if you use your dishwasher at home, you are going to be using equivalent dishes on board, so just get used to filling it up and putting it on every other day or so.

Paper plates? Why? Especially when you have guests on board - do you really want to be plonking paper plates down? Also you will be creating mountains of trash. Maybe not an issue in the States, but in the Islands....

You have a nice boat. Get some high quality Corelle.

https://theboatgalley.com/unbreakable-boat-dishes/

And if you haven't got Carolyn's book yet - put it on your Christmas list and sign up for her email updates. It is good stuff.
We do have a nice set of melamine dishes on the boat.
But when itís just the two of us, we mostly use paper plates. If we cook a nice dinner, we bring out the real plates. I suppose time will tell if we use the dishwasher. Probably would be at our marina after a cookout.

I donít know what Carolynís book is?
__________________

Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×