Bringing the Sea Star home from FL to LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buy a spare set of props. That way you will never need them. I know....:thumb:

The yard sent us these pics.

Attachments

• 24C8CDB3-5ADB-4AC0-85F2-DD9F448E52BE.jpg
    24C8CDB3-5ADB-4AC0-85F2-DD9F448E52BE.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 26C83D81-80D4-40F3-A7EB-10B534DF970B.jpg
    26C83D81-80D4-40F3-A7EB-10B534DF970B.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 69
Ouch. Do you think they will have you back in the water by the weekend. Right now weather looks good for a crossing. But we know how that can change.

Ouch. Do you think they will have you back in the water by the weekend. Right now weather looks good for a crossing. But we know how that can change.

I don’t think they gave David a timeframe. I believe he’s going to touch base with them today when he has some time. He’s at a conference in Virginia and won’t be home until Friday night. We probably won’t be able to go back until the 29th. Praying there’s a good weather window then.

Call general propeller in Bradenton and have them give you an evaluation. I’ve seen them work miracles. That starboard prop looks like it has some pitting near the hub you might want to have addressed as well.

Call general propeller in Bradenton and have them give you an evaluation. I’ve seen them work miracles. That starboard prop looks like it has some pitting near the hub you might want to have addressed as well.

It does have pitting. We have a brand new prop sitting in Cape Coral waiting to be shipped to us. We told them to hold off on shipping in case we need to have it shipped to Tarpon Springs instead. The seller paid to have all of the starboard running gear replaced due to some corrosion but the prop wasn’t delivered in time. They had this prop polished maybe? I forget the terms. Anyway, it was ok enough for us to get home. We will likely buy a new prop for the port side and replace both props when we get it home and then keep these as spares.

It does have pitting. We have a brand new prop sitting in Cape Coral waiting to be shipped to us. We told them to hold off on shipping in case we need to have it shipped to Tarpon Springs instead. The seller paid to have all of the starboard running gear replaced due to some corrosion but the prop wasn’t delivered in time. They had this prop polished maybe? I forget the terms. Anyway, it was ok enough for us to get home. We will likely buy a new prop for the port side and replace both props when we get it home and then keep these as spares.

I had to replace my prop due to corrosion and petty because of a bad grounding strap and the lack of a zinc. Props are no doubt one of the least expensive things to replace on your boat. Get both props NDTed and turned.

A new A/C is more expensive than a prop.

I drove past Mar Marina this morning and saw what looked like your boat on blocks in front of the travel lift. No props.
I didn't drive into the marina because we were on a mission that we wanted to finish before the bad tx storms hit us.

If you want me to stop by again this week and take some pictures let me know.

Thanks jleonard.
So far we’re getting regular updates. They said props won’t be back from the shop until the middle of next week.
As of right now, we are planning to fly back either Wednesday or Thursday depending on what the weather looks like.

Thanks jleonard.
So far we’re getting regular updates. They said props won’t be back from the shop until the middle of next week.
As of right now, we are planning to fly back either Wednesday or Thursday depending on what the weather looks like.

I might be passing you going the other way. [emoji112] I will be out of the shipyard next week after my annual check up. Heading to SW Florida.

Can’t be sure, and take internet advice cautiously from people diagnosing issues from their couch, like I am doing now, but that pitting looks more like it is cavitation based, and not galvanic which is probably a good thing. Small amounts of Cav pitting Is likely nothing to worry about, just continue to monitor at haul outs.

As for depth instruments, David said that’s something he wants to test, but there is a depth finder gauge and then the depth on the GPS. I’m assuming they each have their own transducer? They weren’t in perfect sync, but they were pretty close to each other at all times. I am also assuming that it’s telling us how much water is under the hull. When I had my little mishap, it showed for a little bit a depth of less than a foot and we never hit bottom or ran aground.

Haven't caught up with the rest of the thread, yet, but FWIW...

Depends. You could have a single transducer connected to a single depth gauge... with the output repeated to the plotter... or you could have two transducers, one to depth gauge and one to plotter...

And then it (or they) may or may not be "corrected" to show water depth at your waterline versus water depth below the transducer. (I think most systems default to depth below the transducer... given that any correction would vary from boat to boat.)

And then sometimes a "corrected" system doesn't actually deliver the "corrected" info to other displays (like plotters or radars or whatever).

Yes, just something to check.

-Chris

Last edited:
And, it's always a good idea with a new boat, to take a sounding pole or lead line, when sitting in the slip, and find out for sure what your DF reports in relation to the real deprh.

Can’t be sure, and take internet advice cautiously from people diagnosing issues from their couch, like I am doing now, but that pitting looks more like it is cavitation based, and not galvanic which is probably a good thing. Small amounts of Cav pitting Is likely nothing to worry about, just continue to monitor at haul outs.

I’m not sure if you saw the pictures from my other thread when we did survey and haul out. There were a couple of holes in the shaft and the prop had some corrosion and pitting and the prop nut was an ugly mess. Only on starboard side.
The seller went ahead and left the boat at the yard and had the starboard running gear replaced. The new prop didn’t come in before we were ready to take the boat so they cleaned it up and polished it or whatever so that we could get the boat home. They are shipping the new prop to us.

Sounds good.. Let me know, maybe I'll stop by and wish you well with a toast or three and/or we can do lunch or whatever

We will be bouncing around on the Gulf Coast in Gumbo. We are in Gulfport for a couple of days then on East eventually to Apalachicola before heading back home for end of May. Keep in touch maybe our wakes will cross.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if you saw the pictures from my other thread when we did survey and haul out. There were a couple of holes in the shaft and the prop had some corrosion and pitting and the prop nut was an ugly mess. Only on starboard side.

The seller went ahead and left the boat at the yard and had the starboard running gear replaced. The new prop didn’t come in before we were ready to take the boat so they cleaned it up and polished it or whatever so that we could get the boat home. They are shipping the new prop to us.

I don’t know if you did this. .....if not do it before you re-splash. Get an electrical continuity/stray ground/ground bonding test done to ensure you aren’t shooting stray current through your new shafts and ruining them.

I know, likely preaching to the choir. Sorry.

What?? Meanwhile, enjoy the gentle wake.

Attachments

• smooth waters.jpg
    smooth waters.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom