Bringing food into Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We cruised the San Juans for the month of July in 2019. Bought oranges in Friday Harbor and left for Sidney. On our return to Friday, the remaining oranges were confiscated because they had been to Canada!

Rob

+1 to experiencing the largest concern going into CA on the West Coast as wine & spirits. Note that the 1.5L limit is for unopened bottles. We often declare "two bottles of wine and two partial, open bottles of spirits" with no problem.

Also +1 to fruit and vegetables being the largest concern going back to US. Have also been questioned in detail (land crossing though) about native art.

The problems you cause yourself may be inherited by the subsequent owner. I went through Victoria one time and declared my nice bottles of wine. Since I was over the duty free amount, I knew that I would have to pay duty. What I didn't know was that Canadian duty was 100% my US cost. So a $20 bottle of wine had a $20 duty, i.e., now a $40(US) bottle of wine. This was back in the day when Canada had no decent wine in grocery stores so at least I would have drinkable wine aboard, but still . . . Plus, I had to walk downtown to pay the duty.

When I returned to the dock, a boat that had come in before me was still there. Custom agents were removing the covers off of his dinette cushions. Items were spread all over the dock. I asked the owner and his wife what was going on. He said that they had recently purchased the boat (and renamed it). Still, Customs knew that the boat had a past declaration violation. New boat name, new registration numbers, new owner, didn't matter. The new owner was paying for a past violation. And I thought I got screwed.

There is no such thing as ship's stores in the regulations. That's simply a term often used and accepted, assuming it will be below the limit as you wouldn't have more bottles open than the limit. However, quantity is the measurement. Also, be aware, that while food is national, alcohol varies by province, so the national limits on alcohol may be reduced by a province.

The point about a boat's history is very valid in all countries. That's why I can't imagine anyone buying the Oligarch boats. People buy drug and immigrant boats at auctions regularly and some of those buyers can tell you lots of stories of how often they are stopped and how thoroughly searched. They wonder sometimes if authorities think they'll find something missed and then arrest someone who had nothing to do with it.

Be honest and even if wrong you'll be treated decently. Lie and expect big trouble.

BandB
Are you saying each Canadian province has /:sets its own limits for our import?
Never heard that but certainly could be wrong ascwecare used to entering Ontarion most often.

There is no such thing as ship's stores in the regulations. That's simply a term often used and accepted, assuming it will be below the limit as you wouldn't have more bottles open than the limit. However, quantity is the measurement. Also, be aware, that while food is national, alcohol varies by province, so the national limits on alcohol may be reduced by a province.

The point about a boat's history is very valid in all countries. That's why I can't imagine anyone buying the Oligarch boats. People buy drug and immigrant boats at auctions regularly and some of those buyers can tell you lots of stories of how often they are stopped and how thoroughly searched. They wonder sometimes if authorities think they'll find something missed and then arrest someone who had nothing to do with it.

Be honest and even if wrong you'll be treated decently. Lie and expect big trouble.
Agree with being truthful.

However, we have always been way over the limit on wine and spirits. We have used ' ship stores, private use' everytime and have had no issues.

BandB
Are you saying each Canadian province has /:sets its own limits for our import?
Never heard that but certainly could be wrong ascwecare used to entering Ontarion most often.

Yes, they can and do sometimes on alcohol. I don't think they vary much and haven't heard of it ever being an issue, but they do have that right.

Yes, they can and do sometimes on alcohol. I don't think they vary much and haven't heard of it ever being an issue, but they do have that right.

When you are entering Canada, you are bound by Canadian rules. When you are entering BC, from Alberta, maybe there are some rules of BC that you should be aware of, like a limit on the amount of Alcohol you can bring with you. But if you are entering from Washington or other US states, you are not entering from Alberta, so don't need to be concerned about odd Provincial differences.

B&B I think you may be referring to importing alcohol as opposed to duty free alcohol limits. Bringing alcohol across the border is not limited per se to a bottle, but it is limited to duty free. The border person who says I will let it go is not making you go in and pay duty on items above duty free.

B&B I think you may be referring to importing alcohol as opposed to duty free alcohol limits. Bringing alcohol across the border is not limited per se to a bottle, but it is limited to duty free. The border person who says I will let it go is not making you go in and pay duty on items above duty free.

Duty Free for Americans entering Canada is 1.5 liters of wine, 1.14 liters (40 ounces) of liquor, 24 cans or bottled of beer. That obviously must be for personal use. Now I must admit not to deep study of the subject as we've only ever carried a little champagne in and nothing but full bottles.

Don’t underestimate the value of this statement.

We make lots of border crossings on the boat between US and Canada. Any hint that the CBPA officer is being lied to will often get you a thorough search or worse. They have some room for leniency on duty-free limits but there isn’t a chance of that if they don’t think you are being straight with them.

We report every bottle and detail accurately and have always been treated well. Multiple times we’ve seen other boats at the customs dock that don’t get as nice a reception, and the cause is usually that they were suspected of failing to accurately declare what they have.

I said it before, custom people are human too. I have yet to have an issue with one. Answer truthfully and they know it. Give them reason to doubt, you will know it.

One time land crossing I had the usual case of beer declaration. Always got the roll of eyes and a go ahead. One time, the guard sent me in to pay duty, (short time crossing).
The guard inside looks out window, says lane 6, yes. Get out of here, and next time drink a can so even he will be satisfied not to send you in. They are looking for flagrant violations.

As many have said here, answer truthfully. Even if you know you are over the limit. It will usually go well for you. Recreational travel by land or sea by US citizens from the US to Canada seldom results in inspections and searches. But, sometimes it does. And if it does and if you have not been truthful you're in for a rough ride.

A true story about a vehicle crossing into BC, not a boat. As I was in line to the kiosk several cars back a border officer walks up to my car and asks a series of simple, blunt questions about alcohol, drugs, weapons and cash. I answer truthfully. The officer asks the exact same questions again, I give the same answers. Now a brief pause, a pointed stare and in a very authoritative tone "I'm going to ask you again. Do you want to change any of your answers?". I answer for the 3rd time the same way. This does not sit well with the officer.

I'm told to pull out of line and directed where to park. Another officer approaches the car and I'm told to leave the keys on the front seat and the doors unlocked. I am told to go into the adjacent building. Once in there I am directed to sit in a specific place, alone. Over the next several hours an officer will appear, ask a question then leave me alone. At one point I stand up to pace around, stretch my legs. An officer immediately appears and tells me to sit down. I state I want to move about a bit, I'm getting stiff. I'm not given that freedom, I must sit in the designated chair.

I pull out my cell phone to pass the time playing games. I'm told I'm not allowed to use it and I must turn it off or they will take it from me.

At one point I ask why I'm being questioned and when I will be allowed to go on my way. I'm told "You can leave when we're finished." Nothing about why I'm being detained. Questions ranged from the usual border questions to questions about my place of residence and my employment. At one point they thought I was lying because they could not find me on my employer's web site. I had to give them directions to the relevant pages.

Finally I was released and allowed to enter Canada. I can't begin to image what would have happened had I lied about anything or concealed anything. I was never told why I had was being detained.

On a funnier note when clearing into Canada by boat at Victoria we were told to wait for an inspection. A short time later 6 officers showed up and except for 1 they just sort of wandered around the boat. The 1 who seemed serious took a casual look at the documents. He seemed relaxed and easy going so I asked "Slow evening in the office?" his answer was "Yes, and it's a beautiful evening on the waterfront!" At that he gave a little chuckle and a smile. Called to his fellow officers and we were cleared in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom