Bringing excess alcohol and tobacco into Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We went to Vancouver, BC last summer for an Andrea Bocelli concert. ON the way back we stopped at the duty free store and I bought about $400 worth of booze.

When we got to the customs guy he asked (among other questions) if we had anything to declare. I told him we'd stopped at the duty free and bought "some booze". He didn't ask how much and I didn't volunteer that info.

He waved us through.

Keep in mind that you're dealing with two different gubmint agencies. Customs, and Dept of Revenue. I don't think the customs guy was real interested in filling out a bunch of forms so the revenue guys could reap the benefit.

With beer. Booze and wine are pretty cheap in the Bahamas.

:ermm: Don't think so, unless you are into rum big time. Foreign liquor; whiskey, vodka, gin, is through the roof. Even Kalik is matched to just under imported US prices, especially Kalik Gold.

Bob gets the prize, though Nexus guys are the best at waving folks right through.

Nexus is great. The only problem is the time it takes to go for an interview. Have to wait until I retire.

Awesome thread as I will be entering Canada in a few days.........Breaking open the new bottles now at Roche Harbor...

Nexus is great. The only problem is the time it takes to go for an interview. Have to wait until I retire.

no need to wait. Fill out the form on line, a week later schedule an appointment, show up, interview takes 20 minutes and in 2 weeks you get your card.:thumb:

no need to wait. Fill out the form on line, a week later schedule an appointment, show up, interview takes 20 minutes and in 2 weeks you get your card.:thumb:

Yeah, but the interview would cost me a day of work. Interview is in Seattle. With traffic being what it is, I lose a day, or at least a half day getting there and back.

:ermm: Don't think so, unless you are into rum big time. Foreign liquor; whiskey, vodka, gin, is through the roof. Even Kalik is matched to just under imported US prices, especially Kalik Gold.

Beer has always been that way in the Bahamas. And actually you can buy Kalik far cheaper in the states than you can in most of the Bahamas. Unless you're paying around $45-$55 a case in Jacksonville for it. Which is what you can end up paying for it as you get away from Nassau.

Booze I've never found to be that high. Especially, as you mentioned, rum.

Unless I've just gotten used to paying more for everything over there. :D

It's all about taxes and Nanny states and countries. I can buy the big bottle of Jack Daniel's in Florida for $28 or pay $44 buying it 30 miles away from where it's made.
Wonder how much my favorite Scotch whiskey Johnny Walker Black cost where it's made ? No matter, I'm going to enjoy a wee dram however many taxes and tariffs are added to it's cost, after all it's a health drink like Quinness Extra Stout !
Capt.Bill rum is a bargain, it's the $4 a 2 liter jug of coke that hurts. Gone are the days of top shelf liquor in the Bahamas costing $1.50 a bottle.

Last edited:

Well, Nexus is great. However, our one time there it was impossible considering we and all our guests live in South Florida.

Well, Nexus is great. However, our one time there it was impossible considering we and all our guests live in South Florida.

Yes ...Nexus is really only intended for locals on both sides who do frequent crossings.

Yes ...Nexus is really only intended for locals on both sides who do frequent crossings.

I know...still would have been nice, but we knew up front it wasn't available to us. In 10 days we'll be crossing into Canada again and on this trip in and out several times. It's really not bad without Nexus. We're so use to clearing into and out of countries. Still the one we dislike most is Fort Lauderdale if not in the Small Vessel Reporting System/Local Boater Option. Having to go from boat by ground transportation to the airport is a pain. I still can't believe of all places that Fort Lauderdale has no reporting location on the water.

Yeah, but the interview would cost me a day of work. Interview is in Seattle. With traffic being what it is, I lose a day, or at least a half day getting there and back.

You are right. We had to drive from Longview WA to Blaine WA for our interview in which I took a day off. But how bad do you want a NEXUS?

The cost of extra fuel and time to go to a custom's dock to check in with just passports, would more than pay for the time spent for the interview.

You are right. We had to drive from Longview WA to Blaine WA for our interview in which I took a day off. But how bad do you want a NEXUS?

The cost of extra fuel and time to go to a custom's dock to check in with just passports, would more than pay for the time spent for the interview.

It's all a matter of time. Time to do it vs. time saved. Also a matter of how many people involved and if there are other guests regularly.

Wasn't hassled when bringing in a half-dozen bottles of wine, but believe the tax-free limit is something like 1.5 liters. Had to turn over an apple, however.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom