Bright Work Cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Darn Dave, much as I love varnished teak, that does look good :thumb:

My first trawler a 1971 GB woody had beautiful teak. My second trawler had two step plates one on each gunwale 4in x 8in in size. I still love teak but now on other peoples vessels.

Iam just completing my final varnish job ever and only time will tell the truecost! For now, it is costing me well into the six-figure range tocomplete. I upgraded from a 1992 34Marine Trader that was covered in exterior teak (EVERYWHERE) to a NT with no exteriorteak. Finding a boat without any teakwas one of my main requirements for the new purchase. I maintained all the bright work myself forthe past 13 years and I spend the better part of an afternoon each weekend duringthe winter working on it while it was in storage. If you pay some to do it make sure you maintainit every year or so depending on how it holds up. Once I got mine in good shape I pickedsections to work on each year and would apply 2-4 maintenance coats. You can maintain it yourself pretty easilyfor years to come if you are starting with it in good shape and you stay onit. It may not look quite as good whenyou do it yourself but just take another step back, have a drink and think ofall the money you saved. Starting from scratch is a big job!

Goodluck, I am sure it will be beautiful when it’s done, I always admire boats Isee with nice brightwork!

Scott

Painting Teak

For those of you who have painted teak what paint did you use and what was the color? Does anyone have any pictures of the results? I have painted interior teak with success using Topside paint.

Yes, I have and I've had some success. I used some paint from Ace Hardware that was a mix of primer and paint. I've had very good results. Can't remember the paint, but the next time I'm on the boat, I'll look at the can and let you know. Believe me, I'm so over teak. Love it on other people's boats. Hate it on mine.

Teak

I'd like to do it myself eventually but it would be nice to start of with a good baseline. The quote I'm getting here in Canada is about $7.5K US includes 10 coats of Awlwood & primer. 110 hours estimated.

I'm pretty handy but varnishing is not my forte. I refinished the teak board for the hailing port on the transom. It took me three days and the results were just barely acceptable. I had to fire myself.

The problem is, that 7.5K US will be evaporated in about 2 years and the teak will once again look like the back side of a mule. Then you'll have to pay once again and on and on forever, or suffer the tortures of the damned and maintain it yourself. If you are independently wealthy then have all the teak you want and hire someone to maintain it. Everyone will love your boat and say "Wow"! when they walk by it. If not, get rid of all of it with the exceptions of a few accent pieces, and of course, if you have a GB, keep up the transom, but that's pretty easy if all the rest of it is gone.

Yes, I have and I've had some success. I used some paint from Ace Hardware that was a mix of primer and paint. I've had very good results. Can't remember the paint, but the next time I'm on the boat, I'll look at the can and let you know. Believe me, I'm so over teak. Love it on other people's boats. Hate it on mine.

Any close up pics of your 36 with painted teak? I’m tempted.

Back
Top Bottom