Bridge panic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just passed through there last Wed on my way back from 2 weeks on the Napa.

img_136252_0_a2fa87450e5c0c88dfe667d22adf8aec.jpg

img_136252_1_15af1e421f13fcddb2f12a3bc86b8712.jpg

Wed morning, the fog was 1/4 to 1/2 mile visibility when I left the homes on Milton Rd. I thought it would burn off quickly but was surprised to find it less than 1/4 mile the entire stretch of the Napa including my approach to the Mare Island Causeway Bridge for an opening.

As I approached the Hwy 37 Bridge, it came into sight at about 0.2NM. Shortly after passing under Hwy 37, I made the initial call for an opening of the Causeway Bridge at 0.4NM without the bridge in sight. The bridge tender replied that he couldn't see me or the bridge traffic in the current thick fog, but to continue my approach and he'd advise. The bridge came into view at 0.17NM and I just held position north of the opening. After a minute or two, the bridge tender replied that he had me and the stopped road traffic in sight and verified my vertical clearance requirement. (It's actually 15'6", I fit in my 15' 8" covered slip, but I round up to 17' for bridge inaccuracies, my antennae and my own fudge factor.) With the fog as thick as it was, I was more focused on traffic anchored downstream on my radar than my vertical clearance. The tender assured me I had the room, so I proceeded, confident in his ability to perform his duties. I proceeded slowly, but was too busy to snap any pictures.

Further into the Mare Island Str the visibility picked up to close to a mile. Here is a shot from the Mare Island Straight as Giggitoni was texting me to watch out for fairies in the fog. (What can I say, this IS on the edge of the Bay Area!!)

img_136252_2_9bd9678a295d27d020781fd9d633c527.jpg

As I passed the Carquinez Straight, the fog started to burn off and the sun poked through. I liked this perspective as I passed under I-80.

img_136252_3_f765fcbdec20fb55a4d3787ec7f835c7.jpg

The final tally for the 2-week trip as I approached my marina:

img_136252_4_da2db7d1a98a94fb5ea0d9b6438e5297.jpg

27 to top of antennas, 24 to top of mast, 17 to top of bimini, 13 to top of flybridge cowling.:D

Every bridge from NJ to Florida verfied and notes in cruising guide (as they are often wrong)...every note from changes in sceduled openings to tidal variations and actual measurement marker errors and "extra" nav height if bridge is not flat on the bottom.:thumb:

No stopping for me if I don't have'ta...;)

Now that's what I'm talkin' about :thumb:

His forestay melted too! Now THAT sounds painful, glad I don't have one. Thanks mom & dad.

We're all happy your parents were thinking <ahem> ahead:D.

The previous owners said it was like a stick of dynamite going off when they hit the power line, so it pays to know your air draft.

FlyWright - What model is your Garmin? Looks like everything one would need is on one screen.

Fly Wright, tell us more about the trip. How far up did you go? Looking at Google Earth and surfing the web, I could barely recognize downtown Napa along the river compared to the last time I was there, with all the new and redevelopment.

Don't you know you don't need radar in that area? You just stay put or anchor out in the channel when it gets real bad, so sayeth the "gurus" here....

My son was chief engineer on a container ship going into Port Chicago. Getting under the bridges was a matter of timing, having enough water under the keel and enough overhead clearance. Touch and go but they made it.

Bilgewater, my Garmin is a GPS128. It's an old non-mapping model with an externa antenna that came with the boat. I keep it for that summary page and its serial port feed that connects to an old backup laptop with navigation software if needed. It's also got a decent anchor alarm that I use regularly.

caltexflanc, I'll try to post a trip report in a new thread. Since the focus of the trip was fishing, I only ventured as far north as Rocktram. All nights were spent at a friend's dock on Milton Rd.

I was sure glad I had radar on that trip home. There were some anglers in a small aluminum boat anchored at the edge of the channel in the thick fog..no lights and no horns. Also, a guy was anchored just out of the channel immediately south of the Mare Island Causeway Bridge. My radar provided early warning of both of these guys. As it turned out, I was the only one operating in the fog with lights and fog horn. Even the 'professional' operators of tugs and ferries were dark and silent.

It was a great feeling to be able to traverse the hazards of the Napa River in near zero-zero conditions. Each time I find myself in that predicament, I learn something new about my environment, my boat or myself and build confidence in my boat's and my own abilities.

It was a great feeling to be able to traverse the hazards of the Napa River in near zero-zero conditions. Each time I find myself in that predicament, I learn something new about my environment, my boat or myself and build confidence in my boat's and my own abilities.

I call it "euphoria" and there's nothing quite like it! It happens to me every time I take the boat out as I learn something new every time! (And the fact that I've cheated death again,plays a big part in that feeling. ) :dance:

Attachments

• euphoria.png
    euphoria.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
... As it turned out, I was the only one operating in the fog with lights and fog horn. Even the 'professional' operators of tugs and ferries were dark and silent. ...

I'm proud of you, Al. ... Wish there was fog more often when I go out. Want to amortize the cost of my horns. I'm still in the "two digits per blast" range now. (First blast was four digits.) Thinking I'll start making three shorts when backing out of my berth. Never saw the need (almost all boats never seem to leave/enter their berths) until earlier this week when another boat was coming into its berth several berths away the same time I was backing out of mine.

Leaving tomorrow to explore Antelope Canyon, a tributary to the Grand Canyon (foot and boat trip). Will be back March.

Last edited:
Have a great time in AZ, Mark. I hope you don't make Perla do all the paddling.

Call when you return. Maybe I'll have a slip in your marina by then.

Leaving tomorrow to explore Antelope Canyon, a tributary to the Grand Canyon (foot and boat trip). Will be back March.
Pack your long underwear, Mark. I just had a water pipe break at the street at my Sedona house. They've had a damn cold winter up there.

Walt, I'm fine as long as there isn't significant precipitation. Flagstaff, Page; here we come.

Goal for March: up the Petaluma River to the City of Petaluma. (Four-hour notice to lift the bridge!!??)

Four hours minimum. I have the details locked in my steel trap! ...30 amp power, etc. we'll talk as the time gets closer.

We're all happy your parents were thinking <ahem> ahead:D.

The previous owners said it was like a stick of dynamite going off when they hit the power line, so it pays to know your air draft.

I have pictures some where of a schooner that didnt make it under the I street bridge in Sacramento Ca. and sank right there. The tip of the mast was sticking out of the water for years and then it disapeared. Not sure if the vessel was eventially salvaged or it just tore apart from the strong and heavy currents during the flood months of the year. Bridge clerance is nothing to mess with in an area of strong current for sure.

I went to high school for 2 years in Vallejo. Graduated from VHS. We lived on Mare Island. I know this bridge well. Great place to be a teenager and roam the historic island.

I'm fine as long as there isn't significant precipitation. Flagstaff, Page; here we come.

It will be warmer at the bottom of the Canyon but at the top is a different story. I've done the river trip a few times. I had a home at Forest Highlands, in Flag, for a few years. It's damn cold this time of year even when the sun's out.

Attachments

• Grand canyon.png
    Grand canyon.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
That's why we have hats, scarfs, coats, and mittens.

That's why we have hats, scarfs, coats, and mittens.
We did too but decided to move down the mountain 2,500 ft & 27 miles to Sedona.

Attachments

• Sedona.jpg
    Sedona.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 76
Certainly, but bet you'd agree coastal San Diego is the perfect climate.

Call when you return. Maybe I'll have a slip in your marina by then.

Still have a half dozen ice-cold IPA beers onboard the Coot.

That's a "magical" view there in post 48.
Here's some more... This is our mountain retreat (Trout fishing, hiking, wildlife photography, ....it's a nice change from the ocean. :smitten:

Attachments

• Sedona 1.jpg
    Sedona 1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3236.jpg
    IMG_3236.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Indian.jpg
    Indian.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Living room.jpg
    Living room.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 86
  • Fisherman.jpg
    Fisherman.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
In my early 20's I spent a few years pretending to be a pirate on a tall ship sailing around the world.
A few times a year we would partake in sail training and tall ships races.
It was always a good joke to send the young trainees up the mast as we approached a bridge, armed with a fender 'just in case'. LOL brings a smile to my face just thinking about it!
Almost as good as sending them aloft to look for the way-point as we approached it!

4848-albums79-picture382.jpg

Last edited:
The reason we got a great buy on our sailboat several years ago is because the dreaded previous owner--an airline pilot--used to get liquored up after a long duty rotation and pass out below while his wife--not a boater--would motor all over the lake. The boat had a tall rig, with 45 feet of air draft, and one day she ran it into a power line. Not as much damage as you might expect--a burned genoa and partially melted forestay--but at least they weren't dismasted or electrocuted. Shortly after that, they had a "fire sale."

Reminds me of a July 1 celebration at our yacht club outstation several years ago. While we were having a fireworks display, a sailboat came into the outstation moorage by coming through the wrong channel. The forestay caught the power lines and slid them up and over the masthead, then all power to the outstation went down. The next day Hydro had to come out and reconnect us. To this day, the line with the big ball on it is wrapped around the other line. Amazingly, no serious damage to the boat. Lost its Wind indicator, that was about all.

Four hours minimum. I have the details locked in my steel trap! ...30 amp power, etc. we'll talk as the time gets closer.

Yeah, it used to be the same guy that checked the parking meters around town and other chores. Since it leads to a dead end, it's not like there is a bunch of boat traffic requiring a full time attendant. I see you can also make a request on line now.

City of Petaluma

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom