Bridge heights on Tombigbee, tenn-tom and Tennessee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd30ketch

Veteran Member
I am trying to figure out how far I can take my sailboat up the Tombigbee, Tenn-Tom and Tennessee rivers towards Knoxville before I run into bridges that my 46 foot mast will not go under? Ideally we would like to take it my mom and dads house on the Clinch River in Harriman Tennessee. Do any of you folks know how far I can make it.
ThanksKevin

cd30ketch wrote:

I am trying to figure out how far I can take my sailboat up the Tombigbee, Tenn-Tom and Tennessee rivers towards Knoxville before I run into bridges that my 46 foot mast will not go under? Ideally we would like to take it my mom and dads house on the Clinch River in Harriman Tennessee. Do any of you folks know how far I can make it.
ThanksKevin

Check this Army Corp of Engineers site
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/opn/TNRiver/

NOAA chart viewer is good for coastal waters.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/OnLineViewer.html

-- Edited by Carey on Sunday 28th of November 2010 12:20:14 PM

-- Edited by Carey on Sunday 28th of November 2010 12:22:55 PM

I had checked a chart listed from your link "Watts Bar" but it did not show heights for the bridge by the dam. I am use to NOAA chats where they are clearly marked.

NOAA charts are probably online , a download away.

I am on the TN River but not sure of all the bridge heights. I would go to the Great Loop Cruisers Association forum- they probably will have that info more readily available.

cd30ketch wrote:

I thought that NOAA did not cover that far up stream??

NOAA does only coastal charts. That's why I posted a link to the Army Corp of Engineers site in my previous post. However, upon further observation, it appears that the Corp doesn't show bridge clearances. Interesting.

I included the NOAA site only for those that might not have seen it.

-- Edited by Carey on Monday 29th of November 2010 11:40:45 AM

Some of the inshore charts show bridge height above sea level.

This is used with the "pool height" (the height of the water surface above sea level) to figure the bridge height to clear. ..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom