Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
bridge deck box

I want to put a dock box on the aft portion of my bridge. *I can fit one about 12" by 3'. *The ones i see online are ridiculously expensive for a fiberglass box- like $350. *Any cost effective solutions or ideas? *I may just build a nice paint grade type box and have the yard paint it to match the topsides....? *I have the tools to build one and can do it pretty easy...sure sounds cheaper though more time intensive. *Or maybe I just stop pinching pennies and buy one of those expensive ones. *I just want a storage box I can put extra fenders, lines, gold bullion, money printing press, etc. *Maybe you all have a creative idea or a good source for a good box of the necessary dimensions. *If not, we can begin discussing the imminent repowering Moonstruck's Sabre with some nice little MTU's! * *

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
RE: bridge deck box

The Eagle came with a front deck freezer box that I use for storage, so I copied the box and made two boxes, 5 ½X 30 out of ¾ marine plywood for the salon roof.* I am thinking about making another matching box for the front deck.* **
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

PF, do you happen to have any pictures of your boxes?
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

I want to put a dock box on the aft portion of my bridge. *I can fit one about 12" by 3'. *The ones i see online are ridiculously expensive for a fiberglass box- like $350. *Any cost effective solutions or ideas? *I may just build a nice paint grade type box and have the yard paint it to match the topsides....? *I have the tools to build one and can do it pretty easy...sure sounds cheaper though more time intensive. *Or maybe I just stop pinching pennies and buy one of those expensive ones. *I just want a storage box I can put extra fenders, lines, gold bullion, money printing press, etc. *Maybe you all have a creative idea or a good source for a good box of the necessary dimensions. *If not, we can begin discussing the imminent repowering Moonstruck's Sabre with some nice little MTU's!

I recommend exterior grade plywood for the fenders, and high quality fiberglass for the bullion.OK, no to the plywood. I am a big fan of the quality fiberglass boxes. Pay me now or pay me later.*

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Buy a used one at a marine consignment shop, boater flea market, craig's list, etc.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
FF
Guru

"ridiculously expensive for a fiberglass box- like $350. Any cost effective solutions or ideas?"

You have never worked in GRP

Visit Ace Hardware and get plastic garbage cans , lash on the lids and lay them down.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:59 AM   #7
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I read that someone had a box made from Starboard I imagine it was pretty pricy and heavy anyway, or you might find a fiberglass shop to make one up. I installed one recently, bit the bullett and bought it at West Marine.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

No I do not!* I used 2x2 as the inner frame and use regular molding to trim, and painted. I painted each piece several times before assembling them.* We are an ugly trawler so they are not fancy.* My wife made some canvas covers so most of the time they can not be seen any. **They also help to eliminate the open space on the roof, so with the railing, boxes, and the dink the roof is pretty much closed in.* The few days we have sun, we sun bath up on the roof with privacy.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -

You can make the box out of good quality marine ply, paint the whole thing with CPES to seal the wood, then prime and paint it. It will most likely last as long as a fiberglass box although you may need to repaint it or touch it up every now and then.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
Guru

bridge deck box

Another option is a large white ice chest. You can even buy the corner pieces that attach to the deck to secure them. I've had two of them in my aft cockpit for nearly fifteen years. I just have to replace the hinges and latch every few years, and they look great.

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 23rd of December 2010 10:38:36 PM

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 23rd of December 2010 10:45:37 PM
Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
bridge deck box

You might want to take a look at "Deck Boxes" by Rubbermaid or Suncast. Not too expensive lighter weight than the fiberglass models, but made to live out doors.
*Available at Lowes, H.D etc.
Steve W.

-- Edited by Steve on Thursday 23rd of December 2010 09:31:53 PM
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #12

How about something like a Coleman cooler.* If you need slightly more room gut the interior sides to gain a smidgeon.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
bridge deck box

If you check West Marine or the other major marine retailers, you will find some nice combination seat/storage boxes. Some even have backrests. Or, you can look for standard "dock boxes". Marinas may have used ones available.

Yes, you can find cheaper solutions, down to $5.95 at Walmart. How do you keep your boat? How do you want it to look?

I thought about this for my boat and I was considering a combination seat/storage box. I haven't done it yet though.

BTW: $350 is only three and a half "Boat Units"!** By the time you buy the materials and hardware and pay somebody to paint it, you may be close to that anyway.* What a dock box has that most home made boxes don't is a lip all the way around the top to keep water out.

To make a box you will need:
Plywood
Solid wood for corner blocking
A stainless steep piano hinge
A stainless steel hasp
Stainless steel screws
Waterproof glue
Putty of some sort to fill the screw holes
Some sort of gasket
Primer
Paint

-- Edited by rwidman on Monday 27th of December 2010 11:22:07 AM

-- Edited by rwidman on Monday 27th of December 2010 11:56:07 AM
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Carey wrote:

Another option is a large white ice chest. You can even buy the corner pieces that attach to the deck to secure them. I've had two of them in my aft cockpit for nearly fifteen years. I just have to replace the hinges and latch every few years, and they look great.
*They now make a new type of hinge*for replacement on*the Colman type coolers. If you have the hinge looking ones. Those really suck*they break real easy.*The new ones are just a piece of plastic with a bend in it.**They don't break.

West Marine sells the replacement kits. Only problem is they come with two hinges and big coolers need 3. So you have to buy two packs.

SD*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I bought a plastic box as a temporary*anchor rode box after seeing the sky high priced FG ones at West Marine ect. Cost 2 or 3 times as much as the really cheap plastic ones but far far better looking. The lid is quite secure but I put a 1/4" line over it to keep the box in place in rough going. It still looks a bit cheesy*but it gets the job done while I procrastinate the new super box.
Attached Thumbnails
sth71273.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #16
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

I bought a plastic box as a temporary*anchor rode box after seeing the sky high priced FG ones at West Marine ect. Cost 2 or 3 times as much as the really cheap plastic ones but far far better looking. The lid is quite secure but I put a 1/4" line over it to keep the box in place in rough going. It still looks a bit cheesy*but it gets the job done while I procrastinate the new super box.
Your new boat won't need one.*
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
JD wrote:

I can't "see" Eric moving from a Willard to a Nordic Tug.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

JD wrote:

I can't "see" Eric moving from a Willard to a Nordic Tug.

Eric seems like a guy that needs a boat to work on and I think the Willard has run it's course in that respect.*
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Eric still needs to upgrade the deck box, install a table, and get a "better" wheel.* And then something else needs to be "fixed" like new windows on the stern-side of the cabin.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Carey wrote:

They now make a new type of hinge*for replacement on*the Colman type coolers. If you have the hinge looking ones. Those really suck*they break real easy.*The new ones are just a piece of plastic with a bend in it.**They don't break.

West Marine sells the replacement kits. Only problem is they come with two hinges and big coolers need 3. So you have to buy two packs.

SD

SkipperThe bendy type is what I have. They degrade in the sun, and need replacement. I have ended up with quite a few spare parts over the years, as each of those kits you mention comes with the latch and a couple hinges, and the stainless screws. I use one 128quart for an actual ice box for long trips, and the other as a storage unit for cleaning supplies, etc..