Old 12-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #41
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I'm in the camp of a bow thruster FIRST.

My current boat has both, and previous boats have had only bow.

The bow of equal power to t stern thruster is more effective, because it's pushing less weight and less draft. If you can put the bow somewhere you can back into anywhere, but often not straight (parallel) to the dock.

And, yes, with both, you can walk the boat perfectly sideways... but only with very little wind. Did that about two hours ago and worked find... single handed.

Now, I've got friends with a single stern thruster with a single engine and they work fine, too, but I could argue to have a powerful one.

It's kinda like the twin vs single debate... will never end.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #42
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Sails are totally unnecessary and a distraction on a trawler and another thing to worry about but you may need them if your down on HP
It was just a habit from my sailboating days. Who says total rationality is the source of happiness? ... But then, when does a bit of stability and some power assist become irrational?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #43
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Unnecessary systems cost and are one thing more to go wrong.
Quote:
Sails are totally unnecessary and a distraction on a trawler and another thing to worry about but you may need them if your down on HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Gaston,
Mark’s got plenty of hp and in every picture I’ve seen of his boat underway it looks like he’s got too much power.

More power to Mark though as he brings us back to earth frequently.
Quote:
It was just a habit from my sailboating days. Who says total rationality is the source of happiness? ... But then, when does a bit of stability and some power assist become irrational?
Sometimes I think that Eric and Mark have had their sense of humour surgically removed.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #44
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Sometimes I think that Eric and Mark have had their sense of humour surgically removed.
You've assumed I'm not giggling.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #45
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
You've assumed I'm not giggling.
[emoji3]
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #46
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
First trawler had a Dickson stern thruster that worked well. It was light compared to the current which has an electric bow thruster, 5 hp and too small, and a Dickson stern thruster which is also under powered. I rarely use either because of that. The stern thruster runs off the generator which I would have to start if I wanted to use it. Last winter I installed a bow stem that goes almost to the water line. The Nordic bow is almost vertical, so I use the fishing boat trick of planting the bow on the dock at head of the slip, leave it in gear with the wheel turned to put stern against the finger when wind and tide pose a major problem.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #47
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Is there some reason a spring line isn't in place at that point? We always make a point of getting that on first, then the boat can be held onto the dock via idle power and rudder. Even super- klutzy me could single hand our 56' Hatteras using that technique.
Exactly!

A spring line to pull the bow to the dock and hold it there is certainly cheaper than a thruster. It never trips out regardless of how long it is used, and the maintenance is fairly minimal.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:30 PM   #48
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Exactly!

A spring line to pull the bow to the dock and hold it there is certainly cheaper than a thruster. It never trips out regardless of how long it is used, and the maintenance is fairly minimal.

Since when is cheaper the solution to anything related to boating or anything else for that matter ?
I can afford both thrusters and would never consider a boat with out them .
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:54 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Exactly!

BUT, the spring line ONLY works when attached to the dock, and that's where the thrusters come in.... to get close enough to get a spring line on.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:07 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
BUT, the spring line ONLY works when attached to the dock, and that's where the thrusters come in.... to get close enough to get a spring line on.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:55 AM   #51
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
I was responding to a post that said getting the boat to the dock was not a problem, but getting a stern line on was. But I have to say to the above, what is it about the dock that has rendered the rudder and engine useless?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I was responding to a post that said getting the boat to the dock was not a problem, but getting a stern line on was. But I have to say to the above, what is it about the dock that has rendered the rudder and engine useless?
George,

Nothing, but the point was that the first goal is to get the boat close enough to get a spring line on, and that's where the thrusters can help. And, sure, we agree that after one gets a line on use power, tiller, thrusters to finish putting the boat where you want.

For "me" thrusters are extremely important. Ya can't have too many, and I'm not macho enough to dock without them. Don't always use them, but sure do when needed.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #53
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Availability of dock boys or fellow boater can assist with the spring line.

How close do you need to get the boat to get or toss a line from the boat around a piling or a cleat and back to the boat?
Old 12-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
That would apply to a very, very small percentage of the places I've been. Most of those were fuel docks.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:

How close do you need to get the boat to get or toss a line from the boat around a piling or a cleat and back to the boat?

Not many dock boys waiting for $100 tips or fellow boaters around between 6pm and 9 am .Come to think of it non around a lonely dock 50km up the river.
Maybe I should send a dock boy up the river and wait for me to get there to help with the dock lines ?
Is that how its done over there .This is just another fly bridge argument those without winge the loudest with envy
Old 12-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
Not many dock boys waiting for $100 tips or fellow boaters around between 6pm and 9 am .Come to think of it non around a lonely dock 50km up the river.
Maybe I should send a dock boy up the river and wait for me to get there to help with the dock lines ?
Is that how its done over there .This is just another fly bridge argument those without winge the loudest with envy
$100 tip just to help tie up a boat?? I wonder if a near 75 year old man can be a dock boy? LOL

Remember, if you help tie up a boat, follow the captain's directions to the letter.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
$100 tip just to help tie up a boat?? I wonder if a near 75 year old man can be a dock boy? LOL

Remember, if you help tie up a boat, follow the captain's directions to the letter.

Where I boat 90% of the time there is no one to help.
I boat alone at times and with a wind trying to blow me off the dock when docking its near impossible without thusters .
Still cant see why all the negativity ???????? My wife has limited boating experience at the helm and she can dock with thrusters if require
Old 12-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Where I boat 90% of the time there is no one to help.
I boat alone at times and with a wind trying to blow me off the dock when docking its near impossible without thusters .
Still cant see why all the negativity ???????? My wife has limited boating experience at the helm and she can dock with thrusters if require
I'm not being negative, I have a bow and stern thrusters.
I was suggesting work arounds and other alternatives.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #59
Guru

This forum is given me blood pressure
Old 12-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #60
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:

In our part of the world the dock boys are seasonal and I wouldn't want to rely on them anyway.

But cleats are almost nonexistent here; bullrails are the norm and are rather difficult to lasso.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote