Old 11-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
Guru

City: Out Cruisin'
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Bow Thruster Performance

The marina we are currently in has a very narrow fairway. Over the last two months, I have watched probably 30+ boats of every variety come in and out - some with interesting 'entanglements' (my swim platform ladder included in one of them ).

What has struck me after watching them all, is the large variation in effectiveness of different bow thrusters - apparently having nothing to do with the thruster itself.

It appears, from my anecdotal data, that one of the primary components of effectiveness is the depth of the props from the surface of the water (DUH). I just watched a Beneteau 40-something trawler come in and while the thruster was wailing at full power and water was absolutely thrashing about at the surface, very little power was being imparted to moving the hull at all. It was obvious that the props were not very far into the water.

Other boats, some with proportional control operating at MUCH less than full power, barely needed any effort from the thruster motor to get the bow swinging around. The current at the water surface indicated that the props were indeed very low underwater.

If anyone is installing a bow thruster, making sure the props are WELL below the water surface would be a good parameter to consider - likely more so than just the raw kW of the thruster motor. Deeper is better, maybe to the point of not being worth anything if it is too shallow.

m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I put a stern thruster on our boat. I went with the size larger than the chart called for. The incremental cost wasnít that much but it moves the stern very well. Deeper is much better. I donít have room for a bow thruster tube so I will put an Exturn pod thruster on the bow. They are much deeper than the normal bow thruster tube so that helpd as well. Many manufacturers put in the minimum size thruster and that doesnít help.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My 24-volt thrusters move the bow smartly.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2277.jpg  
Old 11-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
When we bought Beachcomber J wanted a bow thruster. The manufacturer's charts called for (IIRC) 250 pounds of thrust in an 8" tube. The marina owner suggested going with the next size up which was around 280 pounds. He couldn't find one so he went up one more size to a 325 pound in a 10" tube.

It is able to move the bow swiftly against a current or wind and moves it well.

Nobody ever said "I wish my thruster didn't have so much power."
Old 11-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
When we bought Beachcomber J wanted a bow thruster. The manufacturer's charts called for (IIRC) 250 pounds of thrust in an 8" tube. The marina owner suggested going with the next size up which was around 280 pounds. He couldn't find one so he went up one more size to a 325 pound in a 10" tube.

It is able to move the bow swiftly against a current or wind and moves it well.

Nobody ever said "I wish my thruster didn't have so much power."
You got that right. Always go big on a thruster or go home...
Old 11-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Installed by PO I am not sure the size, but mine is also quite effective. And as you can see it is WELL below the waterline.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 7.56.46 AM.jpg  
Old 11-26-2020, 03:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
The problem with props too high is cavitation, that dishwasher sound and a less than effective propelling force. Due to how my boat is constructed with a hull wooden exoskeleton, plywood over that and fiberglass over that, the center line keel or whatever it is called, the internal backbone of the framing took up to much room to allow an effective tunnel bow thruster.

In the propaganda for the external thruster I had installed, it emphasized at how low it would sit in the water, below the hull and then some. So a smaller motor can have a greater effect because the propeller is not cavitating. I know my refit guy was impressed with how maneuverable and instant responding the boat was with the external thruster versus his Backcove 34's boat bow thruster.

I am happy with the external bow thruster, very happy, but I would still prefer a tunnel version if my boat had been able to accept one. Logs are a very real concern where I boat and in my first sea trial after an extended refit, in the first ten minutes I hit a log at 20 knots, fortunately up on plane so the thruster was out of the water.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
Guru

We never run faster than about 9 knots so hitting a log isnít as much of a concern, and we arenít in the PNW with all the logs in the water.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We never run faster than about 9 knots so hitting a log isnít as much of a concern, and we arenít in the PNW with all the logs in the water.
Bye, bye, external bow thruster.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #10

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Motor power selection and thrust most important ....contact thruster mfrs engineers with your boats specs to get expert tech advice and properly specing ...do not use "any good yard". This is an engineering task.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:36 AM   #11
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
I recently installed a new thruster. The documentation had specifications regarding the depth of the thruster.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:49 AM   #12
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
I also installed a Vetus bow thruster and took the next size up and fitted it deep to grip the water.
Our boat has a single engine, for single handed manoeuvring I fitted a Morse 1750 control with tilt switch which I converted to use as a bow thruster switch which means I can use the throttle/gear/bow thruster lever in one hand and the steering wheel in the other to make the boat go sideways.
Parks Masterson can supply you with one at a fair price.
If I had to do it again I would definitely fit hydraulic thrusters even if it cost a bit more initially.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:41 AM   #13
FF
Guru

Before purchasing a thruster be sure you can live with its time allowed to be on.

Frequently buried in the maint info,instead of the sales brochure.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote